Labradar

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
Anyone have this? It looks like it will be a good replacement for the old style Chronograph. Please talk me into it.

I've been around a few Labradar units and they can be very problematic. Wind has a very negative effect on them and it's always windy where I shoot. Take a look at Magnetospeed if you're in the market for a new chrono.

W
I've been around a few Labradar units and they can be very problematic. Wind has a very negative effect on them and it's always windy where I shoot. Take a look at Magnetospeed if you're in the market for a new chrono.
What does wind have to do with the Labradar measuring bullet speed? Just curious. mtmuley

W
What does wind have to do with the Labradar measuring bullet speed? Just curious. mtmuley
The slightest breeze will make the unit wiggle, providing false and often zero data. I'm no scientist but I've seen it more than a few times now. In zero wind and a rock solid mounting platform they work well.

Well that doesn’t sound like too good of deal for me. I also have plenty of wind. I have the G2 Caldwell Chronograph, but was dreaming of adding this since it looks like a simple set up. I guess the magnetospeed is simple enough.

I don't own one because of the cost, but I have used Zeke's several times and I've thought seriously of getting one. It seems to be about as accurate as they get in measuring speed.
My experience is, they need to be aimed right and they are best with a trigger sensor, but it's the best Chrony I have used.
I don't often shoot if the wind is blowing too hard so I don't know about that. Most serious shooters I know have one, for what that is worth.

I’ve been in rehab over spending on outdoor toys...... numerous times...... hope your recovery comes soon.

The Labradar is an outstanding chronograph. You won’t be disappointed. Like stated mount it on a solid tripod and it will be fine. There is an aftermarket sight from MK machining also that makes aiming it much easier. Buy a cheap external battery pack and run it off that. There is a magnetic recoil trigger that supposed to be an excellent accessory but I haven’t seen one personally.

I ordered the Mini tripod, the battery pack and the orange carry case. I hear the trigger is helpful from the videos I’ve been watching on the setup and use. I will keep that sight in mind too. One of the guys on YouTube uses a piece of 1/2” PVC as a sight and it looks to be ok. I will use the mini tripod when I’m prone and I have about a half dozen, some good, some not so good, tripods that will put it up off the ground near the bench height. I hope I can set one of those up so it’s has the proper rigidity.

I've had the Labradar for a couple months now and I'm happy with it. Wish I would have bought it earlier. If it is something you will use on a regular basis and you have the $$, I doubt you will regret your purchase. I haven't found it difficult to aim for close readings out to 50 yards. It is difficult to aim correctly to consistently get readings to 80 or 100 yards.

It is quick to set up and provides more reliable data than any chronograph I have ever used.

I did get the microphone so it will consistently pick up my suppressed shots within putting the unit right next to the end of my suppressor.

It does burn through AA batteries quickly so an external battery is a good choice.

I haven't had any issues in wind yet but I haven't used it when the wind is 20 mph+. I feel bad for anyone that is trying to work up a load for a gun on a really windy day.

For the price it should come with the case. I did purchase the orange case.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom