Late elk success?

deerhuntr4885

Anybody having any luck since they extended the season? What's going on? Any elk movement? Snow? I hope you guys are slaying em over there.

Mike Henne

I went down last weekend and saw a ton of elk, and quite a few nice bulls, problem is they were holed up at about 10,000 feet still. If I would've had another day to get one out I would've made a play on them.
Hardly any snow below 8,000 feet when I was down there, but it looks like its coming this weekend.
I'll probably head back down next week once this weather passes through.
This was in the Snowcrest-Gravelly area

I haven't heard of a lot of success so far, but with the weather that has come in and what we are expecting the next few days, the elk should finally be moving down. I am heading down this weekend so I will let you know how it goes.

Tim

LAST EDITED ON Dec-21-08 AT 05:23PM (MST)[p]No luck on the elk hunt. Hunted around the Blacktail WMA. With the extreme cold (-17), we didn't do a lot of walking but tons of glassing. Spotted about 20 head early but they were a few miles off and we did not want to risk being out in that weather for too long. We didn't see anything else the rest of the day. When we talked to the warden at the game check, no elk had been checked that night and we were about the only ones to see any elk. There was not much snow so the elk were way up high. The group we saw was above 8,000 feet. But, it was still better than sitting around thinking about elk hunting at home.

I got mine. Filled my A9 on Thursday in the Madisons....Thank god (& FWP I guess) for the extended season. Still was a tough hunt, they were scattered and high in the timber, been getting lots of pressure. Got mine still hunting like a lion in the thick stuff.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom