late season cow hunts

scottr

I was lucky enough to grab a Unit 53 (red river, questa) cow tag this morning. Just wondering who else got lucky.

I tried to get my brother a 34 cow but they sold out quick. I was ready to go at 10 but by the time it finnaly pulled up they were gone

LAST EDITED ON Nov-10-09 AT 04:10PM (MST)[p]I hear ya diehardhunter! For some reason my comcast highspeed decided to take a nap right before 10. Kept trying and about 10:14 the tag page popped up with 3 tags left for Unit 9 and 1 tag left for one of the other units! I just knew I was a goner at about 5 after the hour, so it might have been someone that got "timed out" for not completing the purchase in 15 minutes? Whatever it was, I'm glad something went right for once.

I grabbed a Unit 9 tag but haven't hunted the area yet. At least I'll have several weeks to spend lots of time since I'm in Albuquerque. Just hope they don't move too darn much and I end up missing them by miles. I promise to burn a few gallons of gas and a few hours behind the binocs before I ask for help LOL!

I really should start posting here more. Seems the majority of my time is on the San Juan River forum talkin about fly fishing.

Phil

My dad was going to get a 52 tag for my little bro but I dont know if he was lucky. Those tags always sell quick.

Well my dad could not get a tag for my little brother. All the tags sold in 10 seconds and the system would not load because of so much people getting on at the same time and by the time it loaded all the tags were gone. I heard there was over 300,000 people getting on at the same time.

I was lucky enough to score on a unit 34 tag at 10:15. 2 more unit 34s showed up at 10:30 but they were gone within seconds.

Congrats to those who were able to get some tags. I heard of some folks getting 52 tags at around 10:30. They must of becamee available after some bad transactions. I wish I would have had the time and patience to try to get back online. I had a hard time getting the "secondary sale" page to load at around 10:00.

My take is that the NMGF needs to come up with another system to distribute these adaptive managment hunts. Maybe a "secondary draw" to give everyone an equal chance.

Crazy I agree with you that G&F needs to do something different. They used to have cow hunts every year in 53. It was a pretty good third choice with a decent chance of drawing. They should have people put if for a draw and then adjust the permits accordingly. Say "no fewer than xx permits" if they are able to issue more that would be great.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-09 AT 09:15AM (MST)[p]Hmmm. Got me to thinking. Would it be too hard to set something up like the depredation "standby" list? Say, the top XX people that weren't drawn for a particular hunt during the regular draw being offered first dibs on any added hunts to take care of "harvest objectives" not met by the regular hunts. Game and Fish already has all their contact info. Besides, it's not like they have a day or two to make a decision on how many tags to offer. If those people that "paid their dues" during the regular draw process didn't want the extra tag for whatever reason, then they could have a fire sale.

I put in for cow only and haven't been drawn in the last 4 years. This unit 9 tag and the Valles Caldera cow tag I had in 2007 were bought during the fire sale. I'd much rather get a tag the regular way.

I tried to get a 34 tag for my pop. and when i clicked on secondary sales at 10 it popped right up to show the hunts. I clicked on the 34 hunt at 10 and 3 seconds and it told me that they were already gone. Funny thing is i was on the phone with my buddy in artesia last year when they did this and his clock was thirty seconds faster than mine so he was able to get the hunt before i even had a chance. I learned to keep refreshing my page and it will drop about 5 seconds every time but I still beleive that the clock is not the same every where.

Blood,
Are you referring to the clock on the G&F site? I waited until 9:59:59 AM and hit the link...that took me right in. I bet if you could find where the G&F servers are housed you could really increase your chance of getting a license.

yes i am referring to that clock. I got right in a that same time you did only to find that the hunts were already gone three seconds into the sale. and I know for a fact last year when this sale happened I was in Las Cruces and I was on the phone with a friend in Artesia and he had a 30 second head start.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom