Least Recoil Deer Caliber?

lone_hunter

My 13 year old daughter is dying to get into big game hunting for herself next year. However she is a scrawny little thing, but is growing. What caliber would have the least recoil, but still enough for a mule deer?

The .243 would do her well and be sure to provide excellent ear protection because many times that has more to do with a youngun flinching than recoil.

There are other things which factor into "felt recoil" besides caliber. Stock shape and fit. This is a big thing that goes a long ways towards felt recoil and is often overlooked. A good recoil pad like a hi-viz or Limbsaver also reduces shoulder punishment. Also a semi-auto actioned rifle will reduce recoil energy through transferring energy into cycling the action. A Browning BAR or Remington 7400 is good for this.

Do all those things and most anyone can shoot a 7mm-08 or even .308 class rifle. Having a brake put on a rifle reduces recoil but will certainly magnify other problems such as a flinch caused by anticipating the noise of the shot. I wouldn't recommend a brake for a beginner.

You can also install a mercury recoil reducer in the stock but that adds weight which isn't always a good thing for a young one. Good Luck.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-16 AT 11:41AM (MST)[p]Remington makes some "Managed Recoil" ammunition for deer hunting caliber rifles such as 30.06. When my daughter was younger, we used their 30.06 ammo, she could shoot it no problem, and has killed 2 bears, a deer, and an elk with it. It has half the recoil, and out to 200 yards there is no difference in projectile placement than the standard ammo.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition/centerfire-rifle/managed-recoil

Consider a 7MM-08, with lite 120 or 140 gr. bullets, or go with the managed recoil loads. Then as she gets some size and experience, she can step up to full house loads or premium 160 gr bullets for elk, for the rest of her life.

lone_hunter

I went through this quest with THREE Daughters. I shall NOT go against any MM'ey members post or suggestions. If I were to give you help, I would first need to get to know YOU DAD and how much time, every day, you will devote to her possible success. Next I would need to know your Daughters TRUE Interest(s) and if she wants to really do such shooting things or if she is under any pressure.

I am not insinuating bad things, simply drilling down to core components within two individuals.

One step is to find an old gun stock with no metal. Use scrap wood and mount (Tape on) a scope. Have her use the scope every day. It should be held in a low gun (Hip) position and raised to a shouldered-shooting level. There's a million variations of this but the key is discipline in training + fun. Set a prize out at some distance you feel will be easy. It could be a $ Bill. As she becomes more capable (without knowing she is training) in this game, hiding the prize becomes a challenge. In time she will have a stack of money (Paper $ or coins) and She will have made a giant step in happiness with Dad and the abilities, for Life, in the easy instant use of a scope. This is why I mentioned devotion.

Ruger makes a Muddy Girl and at gun shows or Internet sales, maybe locate a Remington 600, 660 or Model 7.

Cartridge & Ammo. If Dad reloads this is great. If not, find someone that does. The first goal is to have light loads with cast bullets with Trail Boss Powder. Let her shoot 100's of such cartridges all summer. Resist Hunting ammo. Fun is the key. Bear Creek Bullets in California have Moly Baked into the bullet and I have never had lead issues. Yet I still clean the bore's to insure such. I would always lean towards a 243. It will, if all is approached with fun, stay in her life; Forever and have good memories with Dad and his patience.

Cast bullet loads as described have near zero recoil and for a young girl, it is pure enjoyment for her to have a bench set-up, a target at 25 yards and she later brings Home the target with cheers to show Mom and everyone. Dad's have a tendency to speed up everything. It has been difficult to explain to even close friend, slow down Dad.

The rest will take care of itself. This includes off-hand, kneeling, sitting, prone, etc...

For me, this is as brief as I can be when the subject is so sensitive: A Daughter or Son.

Jagerdad :)

ALL My kids used a .243 and all them killed several deer with it. Never had a problem with bullet placement, they only used that old .243 until they brought their special deer/elk first gun.
It will be the granddaughters first gun in 5 years.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

My first few years were with a .243 from my dad and it worked great. That being said for a girl it should still be fine but the reduced recoil loads can be great like others have said. Not certain if they have them for a 243 load.

I will also recommend the .243 or 7mm-08. Several makers offer them in a "youth" style rifle that has a shorter stock to fit a young person. I have several grandsons and granddaughter that started out with a 7mm-08 in a youth style rifle and the recoil did not bother them and they loved shooting the rifle for practice even when shooting more then 20 rounds per practice session.
One maker even offers the 7mm-08 with two stocks, the youth stock for starting out and a standard length stock when they grow older and need the longer pull length of the standard stock.

RELH

Thanks everyone for the great feedback! I have a couple of relatives that I think have a .243 to try, and try some ammo options. I do want her to start shooting as soon as she can, even though it would be next year, if she can draw. Doing her hunter safety and such, she has been good with a .22, so I have confidence she can do well with some practice.

As important as the caliber(6mm), is if the stock fits her. DO NOT underestimate how much better kids shoot and find game in the scope with a properly fitted stock.

How about a 25-06 or a 257 Weatherby?Maybe a brake and a limbsaver recoil pad.
I have a 257 bee with a McMillan stock and 100 grain barnes and recoil is minimal.

I pretty much agree with all of the above advice. Once you find a rifle that fits her and she can tolerate, I suggest one more thing.
If you live in an area were you can get away, and there is some open terrain, take her rock busting. I did that with my son, when he first started, and not only was it great fun, it was also the best hunting practice I could have provided.
Our rock busting consisted of walking down a canyon and I would suddenly pick out a rock on a hillside and tell him I have a target. Then he was to look around for a rest, or choose a suitable shooting position to fire at it. I encouraged him to move quickly, get set up, find the rock in the scope, find the range and then shoot. It was just like hunting, only without animals.
You and your daughter should have a blast getting her prepared.
Kudos to you for making it happen.

375RUM!

This Animal Never even Flinched when the Gun Went off!

66233damage1.jpg

[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA SEE
THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

24 caliber is the smallest "deer" qualified caliber IMHO.

We all say the stock fit is important but she will not know how to fit it! Some will say get a short stock and that might be appropriate but don't go too short or they recoil harder (ask competition shotgun shooters) and the scope bites!
Use a stock that she says is comfortable with a scope with a tiny bit of reach or crawl.
I never cut one down for my 4 daughters and they never went home empty because they can shoot. We also shot a bunch...with protection and it made them comfortable with the recoil. They've gone in to become accomplished hunters.
My girls started with .242, 25-06, 270 (light loads) and they all work. The others mentioned above would all be excellent too. Like Jag said, lots depend on you and your daughter.
Just my experience with the girls,
Zeke

>375RUM!
>
>This Animal Never even Flinched when
>the Gun Went off!
>
>
>
66233damage1.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="blue"]HUNTIN,FISHIN,AND LOVIN EVERY DAY,I WANNA
>SEE
>THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
>[/font]
>
>

yeah but you did, you big puzzy ;-)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-16 AT 10:50PM (MST)[p]I'm in the same boat, got a little guy and he needs to get some trigger time in. Years ago on a mule deer hunt a friend asked me to make sure his rifle was on. It was a stainless ruger with that black skeletonized stock in 25-06 and man I tell ya, I couldn't believe how little that thing kicked..it was just shocking. What a pleasure to shoot.
So that's what it'll be for us. But probably in a walnut mod 70.

I forgot, my friend shot a thumper of a mulie a few days later, huge body deer. Just as dead as any bigger gun would have..the 25-06 is in no way under powered...has a broad range of bullets too.

My daughter did well starting at 12 years old with a 25.06 and she was/is small in stature. She has a doe, three bucks and a cow elk to her credit with it since. Shooting sticks were a must for her with any rifle starting out.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-16 AT 05:46PM (MST)[p]My wife and daughter are partial to a .257. Either Roberts or Ackley. Plenty gun for mulies, cow elk, lopes, etc.

.223 would work. Lot of guys around with ar-15 and mini 14 hunting deer. If she can shoot she'll be fine. Yeah I know, blah, blah, blah, magnum, blah, blah, blah, some caliber that costs $60 a box. Get her a savage axis, muddy girl camo in .223, and spend the summer burning 1000 rounds. Gun shoots good, is pretty, and all that time spent practicing is good for her, and even better to you!!

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

>.223 would work. Lot of
>guys around with ar-15 and
>mini 14 hunting deer. If
>she can shoot she'll be
>fine. Yeah I know,
>blah, blah, blah, magnum, blah,
>blah, blah, some caliber that
>costs $60 a box.
>Get her a savage axis,
>muddy girl camo in .223,
>and spend the summer burning
>1000 rounds. Gun shoots
>good, is pretty, and all
>that time spent practicing is
>good for her, and even
>better to you!!
>
>
>"The only thing that stops a
>bad guy with a gun
>is a good guy with
>a gun"

60.00 a Box?

pffffffffff...................!

I Wish only 60.00 a Box!

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

I agree with the above comments except Bobcat. But his was the funniest. My kids all used a 6mm until they could get up to a 270 comfortably.

But I'd also recommend having her shoot other rifles. Even a pellet or bb gun. Just to get comfortable with sight acquisition and gun handling. As Jager said, get her comfy with a gun and reward her efforts. It's cheap and east to shoot a 17 HMR or a 22 rimfire and recoil is minimal. Go shoot prairie dogs or ground squirrels with those light rifles so she gets used to death and has some fun along the way.

Best of luck and there's nothing better than hunting with family.

"""I agree with the above comments except Bobcat"""

I Swear I Get No Respect around here!:D

I've never Lost an Animal with that Gun!

Well!

Maybe Portions!:D

THEM TALL PINES SWAY!
[/font]

A 25-06 or a 270 is a great gun to start with . with moderate loads anyone should be able to handle the recoil .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

I had the same dilema with my Daughter, she is just so little! I started her out shooting my bolt .223 at the range, to get here used to a "louder" gun. Next step up for hunting was a Marlin .243 shooting Hornadys Custom Lite ammo, 87 grain SST. Doesnt kick any harder than the .223, and is plenty of oomph for shooting Deer at the distances she is capable of, out to '150 or so.

This is the ammo we use, it's available in several different calibers

91760485517.jpg

2a0fcsk.gif

I have a 12 year old boy who will be hunting this year. I have him shooting a 7mm-08. He's a pretty small - framed kid, so I've started him out with handloads of h4895 and 140 gn sierras at 60% reduced loads. So far he's driving tacks with that gun. I plan to work him up to a bit more recoil over the next few months.

I am a big fan of the .243 as well I love shooting my Mohawk.
Recently I have been looking at the 300 blackout for my daughter. Ruger makes an afordable bolt gun in this caliber. I do not plan on her making anything over a 250yd shot. The thing I like about it is its a .308 diameter projectile.

After My wife's (LittleBuck)accident, She was told NO MORE high power rifle shooting. So she continued to Archery Hunt Elk and stopped Rifle Hunting Deer. At the time of her accident she had 3 high powered rifles . a 308 win.88, a savage 243 and a winchester 243. She gave them to our kids and accepted the fact she couldn't hunt or shoot them anymore, with the sevier spin/neck injury she had to live with.
She ask her doctor several times over the next few years about her limitations, there were a lot more than just shooting high powered rifles,. The doctor finally told her she could shoot any gun that had the recoil of a 22 LR.
I possed all the information I had , here on MM and had numerous responses,links to felt recoil studies,a ton of info from members here. We started about 3-4 years ago in Feb./ March trying different combos for her to try.
I agree with the folks about "fitting" the gun. None of her old guns could accommodate her new "hold" on the rifle. The design of the win 88 wasnt even close, and the savage and winchester were both to much gun for her ( length,and weight) . We borrowed guns, Bought guns. Stocks, Scopes, and even bought 2 camera mounts for scopes.
She decided she liked the feel of the savage axis,and the ruger youth models. We bought an inexpensive Axis and bought mercury implants for the stock and a muzzle recoil supressor from brownells. we whittled the stock a bit and just used JB weld to bed everything. ( it added some weight which helped in the small gun.)
After between 200-250 shots she was able to keep her groups to 1-1/2" at 100 yards. It is really neat to shoot the gun, it has so little recoil you can watch the holes appear in the target. The only drawback is the muzzle blast. and I mean Blast. To help her with this she wears ear muffs, they are the kind that amplify normal sound but block everything above a certain dec.
She harvested her first Buck 10 mins. into the season the first year she had this rig. This year she has a rifle tag for Deer again.... we'll see how it goes..I had her 200 rnds off 100 grn noslers loaded up 2 months ago, Now she is down to 60 rnds.
I hope you find a comb that works for you as well as the wifes has worked for her. and when you do get out and shoot and then shoot some more. good luck oh ya and let her have plenty of practice, go shoot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom