Lefty’s

Butts

How many gents on MM actually shoot with the “real” right side? Wondering.. how many are..

Left eye dominate? You do everything else with the other right hand..

I didn’t realize I was left eye dominant till the ripe age of 10. Thanks pop’s!

Anybody shoot with the right side of there body, but dominant daily functions left?

I am very much left side dominant and have always shot left hand but when I was a teenager, I had a right handed compound bow given to me. So I started shooting it right handed. To this day, I can probably shoot a bow better right handed than left.

I’m left eye dominate everything else is right side dominate. It’s a retina problem in my right eye and I was born with it. They discovered it when I was in Kindergarten and they do the hearing and vision tests for the kids. It’s kind of an unusual problem and it freaked my dad out. He was scared I was going to go blind because in the beginning the doctors had a hard time figuring out what it was. My mom told me one doctor had to just about kick him out of the hospital. When it came time to shoot, he taught me to shoot left handed and bought me a few left hand rifles over the years. I still have all his right handed guns.

I am very much left side dominant and have always shot left hand but when I was a teenager, I had a right handed compound bow given to me. So I started shooting it right handed. To this day, I can probably shoot a bow better right handed than left.

Ridge have you tried left?? Man if you’re left eye dominant…. You should…

My dad never shot bows. He switched me on trigger finger , but I got thinking in high school after getting my first bow …

“ I should try shooting by my bow left eye” 2001…

DONE… I spot animals better with my right eye moving.. left is better at picking the landscape.
I did shoot my first buck and bull right handed with archery equipment..
However when I switched my accuracy driven left handed…. Alott of big bulls hit the ground.
Still want a big buck hard horned with archery equipment…

I’m fine. Long story so I will summarize it. I still have doctors appts. 20/200 vision in right eye. I can still do all the things a big boy can, I just have a little trouble with depth perception. It’s really evident on pop fly baseballs.

I’m fine. Long story so I will summarize it. I still have doctors appts. 20/200 vision in right eye. I can still do all the things a big boy can, I just have a little trouble with depth perception. It’s really evident on pop fly baseballs.

I have no capacity to comprehend this in my world..
My bad.
I apologize. Thanks

So I shoot my rifles left handed and left eye dominate. However i shoot archery right eye and right handed. When I was a kid I only had a right handed bow to learn with so now archery I am right handed and shooting right eye

So I shoot my rifles left handed and left eye dominate. However i shoot archery right eye and right handed. When I was a kid I only had a right handed bow to learn with so now archery I am right handed and shooting right eye

Try lefty with the bow…you will see a whole new world if you’re already VERY competent right eyed… and left eye dominant…

I am left eye dominant. I write with my right hand. I can use pretty much either hand for most tasks using tools. I can't throw a ball worth a damn with either arm. I can box left or right. I can't kick both anymore because my left knee is crunchy garbage.

There are a lot of lefties in my family. My son is full on left except for playing guitar for some reason. I have one brother like me that is left eye dominant but all mixed up. Mom says that when I was growing up the schools were forcing lefties to write with their right hands and that's why my brother and I are like this.

Left handed weapons are niiiiiiiiiice.

No one, including her great grand parents on both sides were lefties, but my daughter Stacey is a natural LH. I don't know which eye is dominant. She's ambidexterous with many things such as shooting, though. Here she is shooting skeet right-handed & trap left-handed. She didn't care for the latter because of the hull ejection close to her face.

859272_537238399640803_1114033306_o.jpg

860376_537238449640798_779410881_o.jpg

Last edited:
Try lefty with the bow…you will see a whole new world if you’re already VERY competent right eyed… and left eye dominant…
I have tried and it is just so uncomfortable with muscle memory. I have yet to have enough time to switch. Everything feel wierd my feet, my grip, my stance etc. I have so much muscle memory from the last 30 years of shooting right that it is just no comfortable shooting left. I have thought a few times of forcing the switch, but every year I run out of time and never have enough shooting.

I’m left eye dominant and have shot right handed rifles left handed my whole life. My left eye retina has detached 3 times, and now looking with it is like looking though a funny house mirror. I get treatments to prolong my right eye vision. I’ve tried shooting right handed, and this old dog can’t learn this new trick. The worse part is the left eye still thinks it’s in charge leading to weird double vision at times and head aches. With help I still shoot left handed. It has lead to some interesting hunting situations. I killed a buck last year at 260 yards using a Leupold 4x14 Gold Ring cranked all the way up. It was with a herd of does, and my son lined up behind me making sure I was on the right animal. I can’t see detail. Makes you appreciate every hunt when it may be your last. Sorry for the ramble.?

My BIL didn’t start shooting much until he was in his 20s. He was trying to shoot a bow and just couldn’t get things to line up. He wrote and threw right handed. He bought him a left handed bow and within a week he could shoot better than he ever could before. He played baseball a lot when he was young and threw right and batted left. Later he thought that should have been a clue.

So he has been shooting bow and rifle left handed for 50 years. This year he had a detached retina in his left eye and missed this hunting season. He does’t know what he is going to do going forward since he is still recovering from the detached retina.

And like many you guys he has shot both left handed and right handed guns. But always a left handed bow.

I got my grandkids shooting the pellet gun one day and half of them were left eye dominant. I had to teach those to shoot left handed so they could hit the target.
To know which eye is dominant I had them make a circle or tube with both their hands held out away from their body and then look at me with both eyes open through the circle. It's easy to see which eye they line up with.
Being right handed but left eye dominant discourages lots of folks and causes them to give up on shooting because they can't line up correctly.

Im a righty all the way.

Left eye dominent here, shoot left handed and do everything else with the right hand. Was a hard lessoned learned on the first few trips out with dad in southern Idaho missing the first few deer until I switched over the good side!

Easiest way to check eye dominance is to hold up your index finger & with both eyes open, line it up with vertcal line like a door jamb. Then close one eye at a time. The finger will stay lined up with your dominant eye open. It will move off to the side with your non-dominant eye open. :cool:

I am left eye dominant. I write with my right hand. I can use pretty much either hand for most tasks using tools. I can't throw a ball worth a damn with either arm. I can box left or right. I can't kick both anymore because my left knee is crunchy garbage.

There are a lot of lefties in my family. My son is full on left except for playing guitar for some reason. I have one brother like me that is left eye dominant but all mixed up. Mom says that when I was growing up the schools were forcing lefties to write with their right hands and that's why my brother and I are like this.

Left handed weapons are niiiiiiiiiice.
Both my brothers, father and mother are left handed. I do right with my right hand, either way my hand writing sucks.

I am left eye dominant, shoot my rifle left handed, and my handgun right handed. It wasn't until about 10 years ago I actually got a left handed rifle.

Me...left eye dominant....shoot gun left..bow right..eat left..write left..shot now poorly till I found out about sights...all screwed up..lol

QUOTE="Butts, post: 2017391, member: 7764"]
Atta boy I knew you wouldn’t let me down. Them rear shooting sticks from your bro are perty damn cool.[/QUOTE

Like shooting off a bench rest.
Took this pic and sent it to him after I had just filled one of my Nebraska buck tags.

20211117_093724.jpg

I'm left handed at almost everything. All of my rifles are left handed. Left side bolt. It was tough 40 years ago due to limited selection. Lots better now and I am building rifles so it has been really fun to make custom guns that are exactly what I want.

It's funny that so many lefties use a right handed bolt rifle. It has to be slower and more difficult. But if that's where you start, I can see how people stick with it.

I'm left handed at almost everything. All of my rifles are left handed. Left side bolt. It was tough 40 years ago due to limited selection. Lots better now and I am building rifles so it has been really fun to make custom guns that are exactly what I want.

It's funny that so many lefties use a right handed bolt rifle. It has to be slower and more difficult. But if that's where you start, I can see how people stick with it.
Left hand rifles were hard to find, and generally more expensive when I was young. I killed my first deer and elk with my mother’s right hand Remington 722 in 300 Savage caliber with a Williams peep sight.My first rifle was a Savage 99E in 308 caliber with a Weaver K4 scope. I shot it well, but shot left handed it ejected right past your ear. When we sighted in our guns we thought it was good enough to hit a pie plate at 100 yards. Amazing we ever killed anything. When I was about 30 I bought a left handed Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 calibers with a Leupold 3x9 power scope. It’s the only left hand gun I’ve owned. I also own a Remington pump in 270 caliber. I found working the actions is no handier one way or the other if the rifle fits you and you shoot enough. We used to practice by hunting jack rabbits with our rifles. If you can hit jack rabbits on the move, elk and deer are easy.?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom