Lesson learned

pls009

Hunted Colorado Elk last week. Rained, snowed and hailed every day. First time muzzy hunter. I felt that I should clean my gun since I kept getting soaked. I forgot to shoot a couple of caps off after cleaning the gun - wouldn't you know it - I had a 25 yard shot at a small bull - gun resting on the shooting sticks - everything seemed perfect but all that went off was the cap. I knew immediately what had happened - put another cap in but it was too late. I'll never make that mistake again. All summer I had been shooting a couple caps thru before loading but had forgot this time. Alway's remember to shoot a couple of caps off before loading. Lesson learned!

Firing a couple caps doesnt insure that you'll get 100% sure fire. The best thing to do is clean the rifle, dry the bore and nipple. After you pour down the powder and load the projectile, remove your nipple to make sure there is powder under the nipple. If you dont get ALL of the water out of the breech plug area, that water will soak the powder that gets poured down the bore and not allow it to shift under the nipple. That results in what you experienced. Also while the nipple is out, visually inspect it and look to see if the nipple hole is clear and dry.

www.thepowerbeltforum.powerguild.net

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-09 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]the school of hard knocks is always the best. You certainly won't do that again!

We hunted in the same weather in southwestern CO, used muzzlemitts on the end of the barrel and after 4 days, all three rifles went boom (Encore, Omega, Knight LRH) But we did pop a cap before reloading for the rest of the week. The Encore was using 777 and the other two were using Bh 209

We did NOT clean our guns after shooting, just ran a dry patch and reloaded.

AND, if you were using a sidelock, get one of these and your breech is 100% sealed from the weather: Kap Kover. Not only does it seal the breech, but it serves as a safety. It really works! http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_100_355&products_id=7657

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I was in SW Colorado also. Was using BH 209 & Hoppes Nitro Solvent to clean the barrel.

I'm sure this is a dumb question but here it goes - Is muzzlemitts a brand name? I need to get some - I kept wishing I had something for the end of my barrel - I tried to keep something over the the barrel as much as possible but it appears they probably make something for just that.

Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-09 AT 07:52PM (MST)[p]Cabelas and Bass pro used to carry them, but don't see them there now. Here is a link:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/traditions-muzzleloading-rain-gear.aspx?a=56813

If you get them, and you have an inline, just throw the little pink things away. They are to use to seal percussion caps on a sidelock.

They are cheap enough that I use that specific product, but people use lots of different things: electrical tape (simply tape across the end of the barrel), finger cots (from the pharmacy), balloons, etc.

All of the above can be used and don't have to be removed, just shoot through them. Doesn't affect accuracy.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I use a long strip of black electricians tape over the muzzle with a second piece wrapped around the barrel to secure it behind the front sight. The tape wont develop splits and holes like the cots and does absolutely nothing to impede the bullet. I've tested this at the range with many guns, including my center-fire rifles. Accuracy is not affected either. I use snug-fitting projectiles like powerbelts, so constantly checking for bullet seat is not paramount. If you use a loose fitting bullet that's prone to sliding down the barrel then the tape will become a PITA. I had the same conditions this year with and actually had rust forming on my stainleass steel barrel and receiver by the end of the week. I even saw some water in the primer cup, but gun fired flawlessly at the end of the week with no cleaning. I used BH209 and my buddy used Pyrodex with the same results.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom