Likely Tables Antelope

FordFender

I've been putting in for a California antelope tag forever, without success, and my buddy goes and draws it his second try. He drew a Likely Tables period 1 buck tag. If anyone has any advice on this area, I would sure appreciate hearing from you.
Thank you!

I talked with bio dude about this hunt I drew 2nd period and
I am not excited on what I should expect to harvest unless I hunt privite properties....I have taken 5 bucks and HAVE a clue on sizing them up .....but he thinks that you will be doing good at 14"/15" max unless you shell out $$$$ for a ranch!
I START TO SCOUT IN TWO WEEKS!
2ND period I thought may be better because some rutting may occurr... and he said it may!
rm

I hunted this area in 1994. I know things have changed up there since than, but if you want to call or PM me I will tell you what I know. I took 2 weeks off work and scouted the first week before season. Found quite a few nice goats in the 15 inch range, one in the 16 inch range and his buddy that was probably 18. Almost had a shot at the big one the first day but no dice. When I went into town that night to fuel up I called my wife and she said her grandmother was in the hospital. Needless to say I planned to hunt the next morning then break camp and drive home. I took the 16 incher that morning, he gross scored 79" green. Not bad for a California buck. Haave fun on your hunt.

Bill

north of alturas is burning now!! about 7k acres may be good goats around it because they like the ashes and exposes salt...and new green sprouts soon!
south is more popular and has more bucks however the crowds and yahoos emptying their rifles at antelope 500/700yrds out!
I have a period 2 tag and scouted some already and may just hunt a ranch! however they'er where 12(and I am sure I did not see them all) I would say will make 82" net points! two is on that ranch(were real nice) and the others were in the bush way away from roads! most 14", some heavy! alot of people scouting!(i had to pull over a few times to let them pass). youneed to get up their on day to see for your self!
take your fishing pole!
rm

Most people who draw antelope tags in California have never seen an antelope before let alone hunted them. Once the shooting starts they scatter. (I've hunted Likely Tables). Get out and hike a little and check the out of the way places. You'll find goats. Should be good horn growth this year!

Steve

Thought I would post a couple pics of our successful hunt. We took this buck in the last few minutes of opening day. His horns are just over 15" with 7" bases. He had broken off the tips of both of his prongs. My friend John made the 200 yard shot with his .30-06 while I was doing the spotting, trying to pick the best buck out of the group. Thanks to everyone for the help!

44f7a04b2b9a5ce7.jpg

44f7a0982c9f1143.jpg

44f7a0ce2d239b71.jpg

How often do you see a 15" antelope and an 18" bass in the same photo?

44f7a1192e13d3db.jpg

ok ...... thats an great buck for Cali... got mass and to bad his cutter are nipped a bit ... I head out at 10am to ALTURAS
for my hunt and am asking where did you take him?
I just want to know where to start.. and thought of Big Sage Res..just because I heard there bigger up their what are your thoughs if you had to start over!
its going to be hot and where did you camp ? any shade?
thanks rackmaster

Mark,
Very nice goat. I am glad to see that the fishing was also good. Guess you needed something to do for the rest of the trip after tagging out on opening day. Glad it worked out.

Bill

heres mine 2nd period opening day!
OPPS gotta resize I will post later!
jack

jeez, what is the delay ???

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-06 AT 12:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-06 AT 11:46?AM (MST)

Steve....(thanks for your help)
here what I wanted!
Its what hunting is about a "spot and stock" the 1st after noon, when I saw him and got off my quad it was 3 hours later and almost a mile from the quad! he was smart old goat and always seemed to put does in between us(and I think he never saw me, just sensed I was on him). And they say never shoot running Antelope!!!
222 yrd was the 1st shot that I missed and the small herd of 40 ran a cork screw around my (360 deg that got smaller towards me 2 times) and my last shot and last shell I had on me was 65 yrds! I hit him only once and killed him dead! (however you could not touch my rifle barrel, lol, it was so hot!!!) I think I shot 6 or 7 times! there was one other buck maybe 1" bigger same mass and blacker but he ran away every time he saw me at 1000 yrds! This buck (rough est) has 15"+ (other side had a broken off some and was much longer I bet) long 6.5" bases and 6 to 7 inch cutters and heavy to very heavy mass! still all in all a great Cali Antelope Buck!
I will post on MM later.... And forword to who ever you want just aks not to post yet!
I met ChaseMike from (MM) and a friend and his son who had the tag up there but I do not know how they did because I left.... but they were watching me about a mile away but left after an hour into my stock!
jack.

44fc65cb0d9a7a7f.jpg

44fc661a0e2b1c0c.jpg

44fc66aa0f55a94b.jpg

44fc680c14833428.jpg

Watching some guys shoot(Saturday morning)these great and beautyful animals is unbearable I hope I never got shot it like some of these guys were shooting! one I saw was hit seven times and every where except where it counted had a hole, and was still alive!
it pissed me off and they were drinking beer and laughing!
I called them in! they were not at the table!
ONE TAG DOWN AND 3 TO GO!!
Rackmaster

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-06 AT 11:58AM (MST)[p] Here are a couple photos from my 2002 Nevada hunt. The first one taken was when I broke down and ran out of water! LOL!

44fc66870f1b1d5e.jpg

44fc66a80f5419c2.jpg

That's a great story RACK! And a really good antelope. I'm happy if I was able to help in some small way!

Congratulations!

Steve

the dying in the desert photo !!!
funny!
I smell of rutting Buck Antelope!
rm

I just posted a story of our Likely tables hunt. If you know the area, you can proably figure out from the story and pics where we were....

I have been hunting pronghorn in CA, NV, WY, and MT...and if I had to choose only one state to hunt for a TROPHY it would be CA!

The golden state has the BIGGEST antelope I've ever seen...and, contrary to what has been posted here, many of them are on PUBLIC land. If any of you ever draw this tag, dont waste your money paying some "guide" or rancher to shoot some goat out of an alfalfa or rice field. Scout the area thoroughly, pick a QUALITY buck to hunt...then go for it. The experience you will have will give you more satisfaction than writing a check to someone to just shoot a goat...no matter how big it is!

Its interesting to hear others opinions on CA pronghorn. True, most hunters that draw this tag have never hunted them before and have no clue how to size them up. Also true is that most hunters get excited at the first sighting of a pronghorn and shoot the first 10-12" they see...I think that this is why most think the pronghorn are small in CA. I personally have tagged along on 4 seperate pronghorn hunts in CA (always the photographer / sherpa...never the shooter!) and each time we have taken goats over 15"...1 taped out at 16 3/8ths. All came from public land, and all were over 80lbs (carcas weight) in the meat locker...one went 89lbs....that's gotta be some kind of record!

I'm not convinced that my hunting partners and I are any better hunters than anyone else hunting these goats. We simply know from experience what this zone can produce if one is willing to put the time in. To hunt these critters in CA can be a magical experience...hopefully, I'll get to experience it again in the near future as a shooter!

Here's a picture of the one my friend shot opening morning...the story of the hunt appears in a seperate post:

4504414609aedfbd.jpg

Rackmaster, we heard you shooting like hell on the hill, we thought the rifleman was in town. Chase had alot of chances but he held out until Tuesday. He shoot one 14 1/2 heavy horn, he shot it, to the east of you. He missed him off hand at three hundred yards, missed 6 more times running. He finally stop at 602 yds. & smoke him. Hell I think he is related to you. Chase is really a good shot, Bill & I were laughing you could tell he had the shakes, great experinence for a kid. Glad I had a chance to meet you, really a great time. Heading to Idaho for three weeks to hunt deer on Oct 8. Talk at you later Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom