looking for elk appetizer suggestions

F

Flatlandr

I have a family get together holiday party thing coming up soon and would like to share some elk meat with them in the form of an appetizer. Anyone have a receipe they could share? Probably two dozen adults and their children.

Thanks
Mark

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-05 AT 05:07PM (MST)[p]What cuts are you thinking?

sirloin? shoulder?

You could always braise some shoulder (slow cooker) and add a touch of "liquid smoke" (if you don't have a smoker) and mix some of it up with some cheddar and cream (and spices) for a "queso dip" People like that and they will never know it's not wild game.(until after) :) just be careful with the liquid smoke...one drop will do ya.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

This is just off the top of my head so I dont know if it would be good or not but I make a variation of this with corned beef............ here goes.

1 small elk roast
2 blocks of Philly cream cheese
1 bunch of green onions

Roast elk and cool in fridge then "chip" it.
dice green onions
beat cream cheese until smooth then mix in the rest of the ingredients and serve cold with crackers.

Mike
at235.gif

Chef - I was initialy thinking burger probably because that is what I have the most of but that sounds interesting too. How do you braise?

Mike - sounds tasty!

Thanks for sharing guys!

Mark

Braising is a slow cooking method with moisture. Use a crockpot!
Works like a champ.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Here's one of my favorites.

Cut a couple dozen jalepanos in half, 2-4" ones. Scrape out the seeds unless you're a real man:)

Mix up your elk burger with some ground sausage-perhaps elk as well. Cook it up till done.

Mix with some cream cheese, add some chopped green onions, and fill your jalepano halves.

Wrap the halves with bacon/use a toothpic to secure the whole deal, and throw in the oven until the bacon is cooked.

Eat em up hot!

I'll use the same mixture to stuff mushrooms, but w/o the bacon.

do you have the liver ?

cut into small 1" pieces
marinade in a hawian (spelling) type marinade for at least a few hours ,, the pineapple terryucky stuff

skewer liver, a water chestnut, and wrap with bacon

grill

i use this for our OMG i'd NEVER eat wild game friends ,,,,

one of these days i might even tell them what they're eating :)

ack ,,, forgot to include what i use for skewers are toothpicks soaked in water awhile (they wont burn quite as fast soaked)

Cut elk in 1/2" strips to what ever length and roll in seasoned breadcrumbs. Deep fry in oil and serve with dipping sauce. make sure oil is atleast 350 degrees, but don't let it get to its smoking point. Easy, tender and awesome. Have used every cut of elk and all work well. Easy to eat with fingers.

BKHUNTER

Thanks to all for the tasty suggestions...now I just have to pick one, tuff decision!

Mark

Take your elk burger and add some bread crumbs an egg some pizza sauce/ketchup...press this into muffin tins making a cup...put pizza sauce,cheese mushrooms etc what ever you want into cup and bake until meat is done...makes tasty stuffed meat cups...

WEST MUSCADINE HUNTING CLUB

RECIPE FOR DEER OR ELK WRAPS:

1 PKG. OF DEER OR ELK STEAK OR BACKSTRAP
1 PKG. OF SKEWERS (12?)
WORCHESTERS & SEASONINGS (McCORMICK STEAK SEASONINGS)
PKG. OF BACON
PKG. OF SMOKED SAUSAGE
ONE LARGE ONION (OPTIONAL)

CUT MEAT INTO SLIGHTLY SMALLER THAN DOMINO SIZE PIECES.
TENDERIZE, EITHER WITH EDGE OF A SAUCER OR USE A MECHANICAL ONE.
MARINATE WITH WORCHESTER & SEASON.
CUT BACON SLICES IN HALF.
CUT SMOKED SAUSAGE INTO MEDALLIONS.
QUARTER ONION.

TAKE MEAT AND WRAP BACON AROUND EACH PIECE, PLACE ONTO SKEWER, THEN ADD A MEDALLION OF SAUSAGE, THEN A SLICE OF ONION. REPEAT UNTIL YOU HAVE RUN OUT OF MEAT.

SLOW COOK ON GRILL, DO NOT OVERCOOK! JUST BEFORE TAKING SKEWERS OFF GRILL, BAST WITH YOUR FAVORITE BBQ SAUCE.

SERVE WITH A BAKED POTATO AND A VEGGIE, MAYBE A SALAD.

TAKE CREDIT FOR COMING UP WITH THIS ALL BY YOURSELF, FORCING OTHERS INTO HAVING TO DO THE DISHES!!!

JOHN.

Cut steaks into cubes or bite size pieces. Marinade in 1 part red wine and 3 parts Italian dressing. Cut strips of bacon in half, wrap bacon around meat cube and stick with tooth pick to hold the, cook in oven at 350 for about 10 min or until bacon is done.

Mine is simialar to Prism's scept I use Loin or steak cut thin and wrap in the jalopino halves filled with the cream cheese and then wrap in Bacon to cook on barby. I promise these are the best appetizers you can make with an old bull elk.

We're real fans of oriental food, so we like to make "char shu elk" and seeds.

Elk tenderloins, or cut some elk roast (2-3#) to the right shape.
Marinate overnight, turing several times.

2 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 Tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoon cooking wine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon red food coloring

Bake at 350 degrees 30-40 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.

Slice thin across the grain.
Serve with hot mustard and sesame seeds.

Meat balls seasoned to taste, what ever you like, put in a crock pot with bbq sauce & it's usually is the 1st thing gone. no leftovers. MMMM elk burger

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom