looking for whitetail tips

I

IDhunter

This year I drew out on a either sex whitetail tag here in Idaho, I hunted them a little during the regular bow hunt. This is the 1st time I have been near whitetails, and I have learned that they are way more different than I thought from reading articles about them and reading the posts on here. I actually got close to a few of them during bow season but was unable to get a decent shot. Once the rifles started going off the whiteys totaly disappeared, so rifle season didn't bring any luck. I am now getting ready to try a late bow hunt for them and the guy I hunt with wants to try to rattle them in or call them in. I was hoping that some of you might be able to give me some tips on this since it is something I haven't had anything to do with. I have succesfully hunted muleys for 17 years and these whitetails are throwing everything I have learned about deer right out the window. Thanks for any info you might have.

IDhunter

IDhunter

If you have time to scout an area and get to know the bucks in the area, whitetails are fairly easy to pattern, just find the natural funnels and runways between bedding and feeding and set yourself up in a blind or preferably a tree stand and whack one. I am glad that you are finding the whitetail a challenging and savvy critter. Most muley hunters would never admit that.

Mike
at235.gif

Try to find where they are feeding and get between that spot and the bedding area.
They are way different that a mule deer. They can vanish when they dont want to be seen, like when rifles go off....
Get up high if using a treestand (20 feet +). That way your smell will not be as detectable when the deer are close because a breeze will carry your scent over the top of them.
I took this pic this weekend of a little guy.
lilbuck3.jpg

Dakotakid and schmalts summed it up very well. I have hunted whitetails pretty hard the last couple of years and have learned a lot. Just because your in a treestand doesnt mean they wont catch your scent. The terrain your hunting will judge how high you should be in your tree. If you are on a hill, set up above the deer trail on the hill and get as high as your comfortable with ( 30 ft if possible on a hill,, high as you can ). Whitetails are very good at wind checking ridges. If at all possible try setting up on a relative flat area. If the rut is in full swing a must have is primos "can call" use it as directed ( 3 times in 1-2 minute intervals ), after your 3 rd set of calls with that come back with a grunt. Remember rattling is only good if you have a good buck to doe ratio or if you find an area tore up bad with buck sign. Another thing, if you find a rub line ( most rubs will be on only one side of the tree ) and you find a post rub ( a rub that has been worked totally around the tree with a scrape under it )look at the scrape near by if there is alot of fresh deer droppings in it i would go no further. I would set up break out the tinks 69 doe in rut or code blue make a few scent bombs set up and hit the can call. These are all the tactics I use and they have treated me very well. Good luck tell us how it goes.

later, M_P

ID, All the previous info. is on the money. I think the wind direction and the thermal currents are the single most important factor. If you hunt a previously scouted "spot" on the wrong wind, your "BUSTED" !!! Whitetails' eyesight and hearing is decent, but their nose is by far their greatest asset. GOOD LUCK!!

Thanks for the tips. Sounds like I need to invest in a treestand since I plan to apply for this hunt every year. So far from what I've seen the buck to doe ratio isn't very high where I have been, so from the responses I have got I guess the rattling idea is out. I do think I'll buy a can call. One of you mentioned a grunt, is there any call that is better than others for that? I have never been one to use scents or calls, but they can't hurt to have along. Like I said these whiteys are changing my ideas a little. Thanks again
IDhunter

Do you mind me asking what unit you'll be hunting in or the general area? I have killed 8 or 10 (2 small bucks) whitetails in Idaho. I might be able to help with an area.

>come to arizona and hunt a
>REAL whitetail. the coues whitetail
>
>casey

Yea, same deer brain and habits, different terrain, and no frickin meat to take home off a runt deer. sounds like fun, Wink wink.

I have been hunting above spencer, but had planned to hunt the late hunt on the snake river around hiese. I can only hunt units 60A, 63 and 63A for the late bowhunt.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-03 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p] Grunt calls work good in the rut. use short grunts 2-3 in a row.
the key is this, do it only loud enough for him to hear it. if he looks your way DO NOT GRUNT AGAIN!! he will pinpoint you and its over. If he is coming do not call either.
Never set up in a valley or hollow, your scent will pool up and mess you up. Like others said,playing the wind is #1 battle. These deer will not put up with your scent but are forgiving on seeing you in camo, and a little noise.
WT will humble the greatest Mule deer hunter.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-03 AT 03:52PM (MST)[p]
Where are you hunting that rifle season has drawn to a close? If it is after the rut, the bucks will be worn out and looking to feed in peace. Find secondary food sources near bedding areas. My favorite is to hunt LATE season whiteys here in ND when the temp drops well below zero and the deer feed all day long. I like to sneak in the middle of the day between the herd and their bedding area. Just beware of Jack Frostbite.

Anyway, like they said, wind is #1.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom