Meat hunter or what?

F

firemedic56

I'm really curious about what sort of hunter most of you are...meat... or will you hold out for a better than average buck? It seems that I may have been wrong about what most folks hunt for...by that I mean that it seems that there are a lot more 'meat' hunters than I first thought there were. Nothing wrong with that at all, I am just a bit surprised by it though. I've been both I guess you could say....first I just wanted to kill a buck.....now I'm more interested in a trophy buck....I'd really like to know about the rest of y'all.....how do you describe yourself.....do you shoot the first legal buck you can or are you willing to hold out for what you consider a trophy?

I don't know why you'd come to a sight labeled "Monster Muleys" if you didn't have some type of fasciniation for big antlers.

My question would be, are the people that consider themselves as meat hunters: are they meat hunters the whole 5 or 7 day hunt, or just the last afternoon and then when they do take a cow elk or a lesser buck, they rationalize it by saying they are just a meat hunter anyway and that's all they are concerned about anyway.

And for non-resident meat hunters. Why? Why pay the fuel, high license fee, travel expense, days off work, etc - all to get some meat for the freezer. Run down to the store and purchase half a beef!

Whole different ballgame for meat hunters that are residents and the hunt area is close to the house, etc.

I always get the biggest kick out of these posts. A few thoughts:

1 - you want to die of a heart attack at 60 - just go buy half a beef. It will do the trick if you do it every few months. Dead bang no doubt, clog them arteries to the gills.

2 - if you hunt for antlers as your main goal, and then don't eat or use the meat, your not really a hunter, your just an addicted person sucking the life out of what was once a really cool thing to do. I don't care if you donate the meat - but I hope you at least do. If you eat the meat, I guess your a meat hunter.

3 - there are very few real meat hunters anymore like there were back when grandpa killed a deer and hung it in the meat locker at the cabin and it was gone by December. Kudos to those who can find deer or elk hunting fulfilling as a food source.

4 - you wanna save your dough and not die of a heart attack, eat chicken or salmon!

"1 - you want to die of a heart attack at 60 - just go buy half a beef. It will do the trick if you do it every few months. Dead bang no doubt, clog them arteries to the gills."

Is that why ranchers live so long.... LOL

I get a kick out of the comments as much as the topic

Maybe I shouldn't have called anyone a 'meat' hunter since most folks have enough to eat without the need for any wild game meat. Maybe I should have asked if you are willing to shoot a smaller buck and be happy with it....or are you going to hold out for what would be a large buck for that area that you're hunting. I agree that traveling 1,500 miles and spending a good chunk of money tends to make you a bit more selective....or it does with me. I DO eat the deer I kill and feed the guys on my shift at the fire dept. a good bit of it.

My thoughts on the issue;

I like to eat antelope/deer/elk better than beef/pork/chicken although I do eat all of them.

I prefer to kill and butcher my own meat no matter the species.

I do like to find specimens with larger antlers but I will not spend all my time and tag looking just for horns.

I do feel the pursuit of "trophy" heads to the exclusion of any other specimen can lead to eliteism. I think we can all find lots of examples.

As long as the hunter is legal and provides for the consumption of whatever game he/she is pursuing I say more power to them.

Phantom Hunter

Very well put Phantom...I agree with you. I primarily hunt wild hog and bear with dogs....that is my first love. We take a lot of hogs in a season and either eat or give away to someone that will all the meat. I do love to hunt out West though....been to NM 6 times so far...mostly for mule deer. I have taken 2 so far....one in the 140's and one in the 160's...and hope to take an even betterone, but I really do enjoy being out there in the fall...even if I go home with a deer, which I have done more than once.

>"1 - you want to die
>of a heart attack at
>60 - just go buy
>half a beef. It will
>do the trick if you
>do it every few months.
>Dead bang no doubt, clog
>them arteries to the gills."
>
>
>Is that why ranchers live so
>long.... LOL
>
>I get a kick out of
>the comments as much as
>the topic

Woodruff - I eat beef, and a lot of it. I guess my point isn't that everyone who eats will have a heart attack at 60, but my point that is all too often lost in these threads is that deer, elk, etc., is much better for you than just buying half a beef.

Just my opinion though.

PS - Do all ranchers live long? I might be in the wrong line of work - wait - that is fer sure.

I am definately a trophy hunter. I personally would rather eat my tag than shoot a young buck or bull. I have NOTHING against people shooting younger bucks though, don't take me wrong. To each their own, I just don't really care for the taste of wild game but I do donate every bit of it to a struggling family that I know and they appreciate every bit of it. Every year I do go to a buffalo ranch and take a meat buffalo because I do like that taste and it is much healthier than beef.

People hunt for all kinds of different reasons. Personally, for me it depends on the hunt and freezer situation. I first hunt for a trophy, but if I take a lesser animal I'm thrilled for the meat it provides and that is trophy enough for me.
About beef being unhealthy, thats bogus. That's a lie the peta and others started, I'm certain of it. Atkins proved just the opposite and it turned the cholesterol and plugging your arteries theories upside down. All meat is healthy for you, just that wild game is better.

I hold out for nice bucks. I do take as many does as my freezer will hold. My wife and kids would much rather eat venison than beef. I gues I am a bit of both and wouldn't have it any other way.

It depends entirely on the area I am hunting. For tags in great units, I am definitely a trophy hunter, and enjoy the process. In other "general" units, where the population is managed for quantity rather than quality, I could care less about the horns. I am there for the experience, and will gladly shoot the fork horn buck. I mean, really, in some of these units a 20" 3 point is practically a monster, and a 4x4 with a 24" spread will make the local newspaper! While this may in fact be a real trophy in that area, it doens't particularly turn me on. Instead, I shift my attention to having a great hunt, and gladly kill the little bucks that the area produces. Some of these can be very memorable hunts. So despite the attitude of some, I am happy to meat hunt much of the time.

Bill

if it dosent get me excited I dont shoot it.

so it its bulls or bucks its got to have mature bone on its head.

I dont have a problem with filling the freezer with cow or doe permits for meat.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

I agree it's got to get me excited to even draw back on it...the adrenaline is why I hunt!! All the feelings that go thru me from the second before I release til I get to wrap my hands around that velvet, that's why I hunt...AND I REALLY LIKE STEAK!!!!

~Z~

i am a non discrimitive hunter I like to do both meat hunt as well as hold out for the monster .so opening day two point slaughter is not for me . However realityfor me is, boiled tags at the end of the year are not so tasty. I will shoot anything legal on the last afternoon. as well I always apply for and buy antlerless tags doe antelope deer and especially elk .I was raised on wild meat and took a long break while I served in the Army.I missed it terribly. I Love a good cut of beef now and then , but a good elk steak or stew is hard to beet .. aat the end of the day elk meet cost me about 200 dollars a pound it better be better than beef at ten bucks

I have what many tell me is a strange answer to this question. My answer is: It depends on the day.

I own my own farm and have passed up some nice deer because I was content just to watch them. On the other hand,I have taken many does and a few middlin' bucks if I felt like it (usually because I made a great stalk,rattled one in,etc.). I have also taken a few nice ones,too. I am more of a "trophy" hunter when pursuing elk,moose, antelope out west though.

So,it depends....

For me Mule Deer I trophy hunt, I live in whitetail country so I try to shoot the biggest that I can find on our place but if not by the end of season a dink gets culled because we have so many. I wont shoot a Muley if he is not a wall hanger. Tag soup isn't bad with a little salt and Pepper.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-09 AT 04:51PM (MST)[p]I am a cattleman by ancestry. I love beef. I love elk. I love pork.

I will not hardly eat ANY venison, except the liver, unless it has been turned into jerky or salami. Grew up eating it and simply think it sucks.

I have family members that NEVER buy beef. They shoot 6 or so deer a season.

Because I have the anti-venison attitude, the deer I shoot will have to be a mature animal with a decent rack. I would never shoot a deer for the meat. If someone is hunting with me on the last day, I might shoot one and donate it on the spot. I would rather shoot coyotes.

Same with antelope....nasty. Lamb either. I don't like geese or ducks, or pheasants, but I shoot them regularly......then give them away.

I cannot shoot enough quail, chukars and dove to make me happy.

wow nickman...never thought of you as a beef only
pork only man!

49f290a211ec7780.jpg

Rackmaster

I guess I would only consider myself a "hunter" I do enjoy any type of wild game meat. I prefer a cornfed whitetail loin chop above all other...but it is all good if taken care of properly and cooked properly. I have taken around 15 pope and young size animals including deer, elk, bear, antelope, mt goat and moose. I do not consider myself a trophy hunter though.. I still enjoy watching my arrow zip through the vitals of small bucks or even does.I think some hunters claim to be trophy hunters cause they have trouble harvesting anything. I think sometimes you need the experience of making the kill to establish confidence, especially with archery tackle.

I'm strickly a buck hunter, bigger the better. I'll pass on as many bucks as it takes to find one that floats the boat. Lots of trips have came down to the last day or weekend where i'll generally lower my standards some.

Dad taught me early on how to butcher my own deer. It's a chore that i enjoy and take very good care of the meat. I have a few packs left from last seasons buck and do enjoy venison chicken fried steak among other dishes. The meat though, is just not enough for me to squeeze that trigger. I generally go big or go home and going home empty does not in any way mean a failed hunt.

Joey

I always buy a leftover additional cow tag in Colorado. A cow is the unlitmate meat hunt and very tasty. It lets me hunt for horns and for fun on my other tags.

bean

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 08:50AM (MST)[p]Below is the lead from an article I wrote many years ago. The omitted part goes on to explain how to judge trophy white-tail. mule and Coues bucks on the hoof.

At the time I wrote it, I was a "middle-grounder" and I still am. Even though I have a few animals that will likely score high enough, I don't "do" record books. Thus I'm not concerned with the "what did it score" aspects. In fact, I rarely put a tape to even the big ones.

My reason for hunting is to enjoy the outdoors, garner some meat and perhaps kill a nice representative mature animal. The first part was especially important when my two sons were youngsters. They're both in their 40s now. We still often hunt together, and the objective hasn't changed.

IS IT A TROPHY?​

Competing for some warmth, two other guides and our six hunters from Ohio and Texas huddled closer to the dwindling campfire. While they continued to swap the usual litany of hunting tales on that eve of the 1976 Colorado deer season opener, I placed another log on the coals, then watched as the flames preyed on the hunk of wood.

The pine pitch warmed quickly and began smoking. With no breeze to alter their route, the smoke curls lingered a bit longer before fading away into the night sky. I looked up at the star-flecked blackness and smiled. The disappearing smoke trails had reminded me of the question my now 45-year-old son, Keith, had asked in 1967 when he was still an inquisitive 5-yr.old.

We had camped among the ponderosa pines in the White Mountains of northeast Arizona. Although it was mid-summer, the night temperature had fallen to the low 40s. Wrapped and hooded by his heavy coat, Keith had cozied up tight against my wife Ellen for extra warmth. He had intently focused on the fire and had remained quiet for 15 minutes. Suddenly he turned to me and asked, "Daddy, where does the smoke go." Knowing I would have no answer, my wife laughed,.

I was still smiling when one of our clients interrupted my musings. I heard only my name. "Sorry, I was day-dreaming. What did you say?"

The man from Texas repeated his question. "What do you think our chances of taking a good trophy are?"

I paused for a few seconds, thinking about the irony of his timing. Although the question was less far-fetched than Keith?s had been, I really had no definitive answer for the anxious hunter. At that point, I needed more input to know what his definition of a trophy comprised.

Little has changed since that night in 1976. Today, the adage, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder," still seems to fit. The problem is one of interpretation; a trophy to me might not be a trophy to the next guy.

At one time or another, many hunters will harbor the spirits and desires of a trophy hunter. Unfortunately, the reality of it all usually takes precedence over spirtits and desires.

Hunters supposedly kill about a million deer for each one that makes the Boone & Crockett (B&C) record book. So if my hunter wanted a B&C mule deer, his chances would be minimal at best and astronomical at worst. Yet knowing many older bucks lived in our hunting area, I could have comfortablly said he had a 50/50 chance at a nice representative head, especially given the results of past hunts in the same area. But again, my answer depended on his trophy parameters and not mine, which might greatly differ.

If we stay with the dictionary definition, any memento of the hunt would be a trophy. And many deer hunters do follow Mr. Webster's interpretation. Certainly any youngster who kills his first buck will cherish it as a trophy, regardless of antler or body size. Actually, even a spike or a doe, where legal, might qualify as a neophyte hunter?s trophy.

Then there's the middle-ground hunters. To them, any buck rates trophy status. They search for mature, above-average bucks but pay little attention to concise parameters and rarely fret over a lack of symmetry or the number of points per side. To them, B&C scores are merely a bonus; they merely want a set of antlers to hang on the wall. Many middle-ground hunters will also shoot any buck as the season winds down to the final day.

Then we have the other extreme --- those who feel only a buck that makes one of the various record books deserves trophy recognition. Of course, not every deer these committed nimrods shoot actually make the record minimums, but each one will usually be an outstanding trophy, nonetheless.

Those who limit their hunting to these monster bucks are the dedicated types who have paid their dues early on. Most have gained enough knowledge, experience and skills to find and outsmart big deer. More importantly, they have learned to be patient, often passing on bucks the average hunter would kill in a heartbeat. They realize once they pull the trigger the hunt is over. To do this, they all have one thing in common; they can spot a buck on the hoof, give it a quick going over and come to a fairly accurate evaluation of its trophy proportions, at least where they fit within their personal criteria. The ability to make this sort of judgment comes from practice and knowing what to look for.

Understandably, the limited time each of us spends in the woods every year makes it difficult to practice, especially if we see few deer. Yet there are other ways. Visiting a local taxidermist or somewhere else where mounted heads are on display and playing a little game of "guess how big" surely will help. The most helpful knowledge, however, is an awareness of the average body and antler measurements for the deer species you will hunt. Then if you know the antler measurements for trophy-class bucks, you have some basis for comparison.

A few years ago a friend from Ohio hunted mule deer with me on the North Kaibab in northern Arizona. It was his first visit to the West, so he had never seen a live mule deer. Like those in the middle area, he wanted a trophy but would settle for any buck later in the season. On the first morning, he killed a two-year-old with a spindly 2x3 rack. The inside spread was about 16 inches. The buck came up far short of the quality of trophies available on the North Kaibab. Jim, however, spent his time hunting whitetails on his Ohio farm, where few bucks rarely live over three years. To him, the 2X3 mulie looked like a monster..........

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Tony

Very well done. I wish I could write as well as that. Unfortunately for me, I went to school here in Idaho.

You just sold a book!

With the economy the way it is, I think there will be more trophy hunters looking for meat this year. I know my standards will be lowered towards the end of the hunt. I'll be hard pressed to go home this year without some protein for the table!

Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Thanks for sharing that story with us Tony...I'm glad I started this thread, otherwise I might not have gotten to read your story. I hope we draw NM again this year...since I didn't draw the Pauns. management tag.....that should tell how much I care about the score of the buck I choose to shoot. A big, gnarly old 3X would suit me just fine. You're blessed that your offspring hunt with you and you can share that precious time together!

Neal

I never have, and if all goes well, I never will eat a tag. It's not so much about the kill, but about the reasons each of us hunt. You can't fault a guy for hunting strictly for antlers as long as he has a plan for the meat- whether he donates it or eats it himself. At the beginning of each hunting season, I always have left over meat from the previous year and I have many friends who are less fortunate than me to hunt places where they are able to harvest animals. I give them the meat I have left over because I know I'll be putting 2 or three more animals in the freezer during the upcoming hunting season. Generally, most of the meat I have left over is burger or sausage that I have had made. I NEVER give away tenderloins or backstraps as they are the first thing I fry up in the pan with butter and onions. My mouth is watering!!

Steve

LAST EDITED ON May-08-09 AT 02:19PM (MST)[p]I am a trophy hunter. No apologies about it.

I am what you would call a deer hunter.. That said if I am out of state I would not take a forkie if I thought I could do better but if I see a buck I like I shoot, Now in CA I shoot anything legal.. Always have and always will. So I guess I am not either a meat hunter or trophy hunter just a deer hunter.

OBAMA = One Big Ass Mistake America

...there was a friend of a friend when out hunting, they came across some other hunters. The other hunters asked them if they were looking for head or meat. One of them answered by saying...No thanks I'm married!

Opportunistic Killer

Being Disabled, I shoot the first unlucky animal that has Antlers and is in season and I have a tag for.

I hunt for the meat... the Antlers are a bonus. Two years ago I had really hit rock bottom financially with the Medical Bills and food/ meat of any kind was not in my budget. I did think about poaching a deer or stealing/aquiring a loose pig on the side of the road but I ethically couldn't do it... even thought about raiding a farmers onion field. But I held out and life started to change around. Yes it is possible to go hungry in America. I got some help, food donations and yes I killed a very large Bull last September and I'm still eating it... I also shot a nice Buck but there really isn't alot of meat on a deer but it made some nice jerky.

In my more affluent past I wisely purchased one of the Utah Lifetime Hunting/Fishing licenses so I get a Deer tag every year... no charge so the hunting has been very important to me... especially these past couple of years.

I hope to be caught up with the medical bills in about 13 months providing I don't fall and break anything else or more bad news from the docs. Beef is a luxuory item especially for a DIY Disabled Hunter like myself. Hope I can find a Spikey Elk this year.

Destiny

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom