meat saw

squirtdog

I am looking for a lightweight saw that I can use to cut up deer with. I currently use a wyoming saw but want something lighter,because I would be carrying it my backback. I usually bone the deer out and a saw is handy. Any suggestions?

Squirtdog,

I have two different Wyoming saws (there are three sizes). I have the smallest and largest. The large one rides in the vehicle, and I carry the small on in my pack. The only saws I've found that are lighter are the fold up ones that look like a big folding knife. I'll stick with the Wyoming.

I really like the Gerber folder, with nylon case and changeable blades. Very light and sturdy, shaped good for grip even when bloody or wet. I've used on deer, elk, moose, and bears with good results.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-31-06 AT 09:18PM (MST)[p]
Interssting question, what would you need a meat saw for if youre boning out a deer? If youre boning one out you dont need a saw exept if your going to remove the antlers via cutting the skull plate.

I carry the Gerber folding saw the one described above but with the bone blade on it. It's light and just long enough to cut small bone.

I think a saw is useful if your quarteing an deer or elk, but if youre just going to bone one out you dont need a saw because there's no reason to cut bone and you surely are not sawing meat. . .

"Roadless areas, in general, represent some of the best fish and wildlife habitat on public lands. The bad news is that there is nothing positive about a road where fish and wildlife habitat are concerned -- absolutely nothing." (B&C Professor, Jack Ward Thomas, Fair Chase, Fall 2005, p.10).

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom