Meatless Poppers Ideas Needed

CCity65

I saw this on another thread today and, rather than hijack that thread, I thought I would start my own. I have committed to bring meatless jalapeno poppers to a dinner on Friday night. For religious reasons, we do not eat meat on Fridays. Normally I core out a 'peno, insert a sliver of chicken, cream cheese and sharp cheddar and then wrap the entire thing with bacon. This week, no chicken, no bacon. I have some ideas, and read of some others but I am sure someone on here can help me out. Much obliged for your help!

You can use everything that was in mine. If you don't have smoked salmon, you can buy some or sub tuna. Or make do without any fish; just use the three cheeses, green onions & spices.

So many options, if you want to experiment. Baked or fried? I would try a couple different ways. Cream cheese, Mexican cheese, lots of cumin, and red chili flakes for a base. If you halve the japs, then spread on the mix, press it down hard in Panko crumbs and bake. If I was frying I would cut off the end of the pepper, core it out, mix the same basic mixture but add some finely shredded carrots for color to the mix, or water chestnuts for crunch. Pipe it into the hollow peppers. Roll in flour, egg, and then Panko crumbs and quick fry to golden.

Thanks to both of you, I was sure I could count on both of you, at the least. Outdoor Writer, somehow I missed seeing the smoked salmon in your recipe... I have some salmon in the freezer but it will be a stretch to get it smoked by Friday, I may get it done though. I may try something else too. I like the tuna idea and our grocery store seafood counter usually has it, though I've never tried it. Our Friday meal regular go-tos are cod and talapia and catfish and shrimp (yes, real penance eating shrimp, lol). I may go ahead and try slicing up a cod filet like I do the chicken. Thanks!
To you and Blank, so you halve the 'penos, load them up, and then roll in flour, egg wash and then Panko crumbs? Does the flour/egg/panko stick to the jalapeno side of the popper?? I've always wrapped with bacon and grilled them- I have never fried them.

I was actually talking about plain ol' canned tuned mixed in with the cheeses, etc. Oh, and you can even chop up a bunch of shrimp for poor man poppers. :rolleyes:

Halving the peppers makes coring & filling them easier. Plus, I think you get more filling per half by heaping it on a bit, which in effect gives you twice as many servings. IOW, 8 peppers means 16 poppers, which is what I made yesterday.

The egg wash makes the flour/crumbs stick to everything. My routine.: wash, flour, crumbs, wash, crumbs again.

And as Blank mentioned, you can also bake them in a conventional oven or air fryer, which would be especially good if you're making a big bunch. Use a cooking spray or oil in a spray bottle for a light coating so they brown nicely.

Last edited:
pickled jalapenos, saltine crackers ground into a powder (I use a little oscar) flour, block cheese and an egg bath. Slice peppers and remove seeds, cut cheese to length and put into pepper, roll in the flour and cracker mixture. I do equal parts flour and cracker into 2 bowls. I roll them in 1 bowl then roll them in the egg and then roll them again in a second bowl with the flour cracker mixture. Then I fry them in a skillet with oil.
IMG_1449.PNG

Crab with Asiago !
"But anything in the seas or the rivers that has not fins and scales, of the swarming creatures in the waters and of the living creatures that are in the waters, is detestable to you."

Good thing I don't follow the old testament guide to eating. Because I love crab.

I'd try cream cheese and dates. Cooked over charcoal to get a little smoke flavor.

Nice everybody, thank you all. I do have some crab (actually fake crab- pollock that tastes like crab to me :) ). Also I like the baking idea, spraying them w olive oil spray to brown.
I've always cut off the stem and cored them whole. As I will make up a filling like described above, I am going to halve and stuff, coat and bake. I'll take pics and post. Thanks all!

All those suggestions sound pretty good. If you can find it, Philadelphia Spicy Jalapeño cream cheese in a cored out Jalapeño wrapped in bacon, broiled in oven or on the grill in a tray of aluminum foil. Very simple but my favorite. I know no meat, but are they even real poppers without bacon? ;)

Hmmmnn. Now ya got me thinking; if fish and seafood are OK, how about coring out the pepper and then stacking in little scallops and cheese and alternate the layers???

Nice everybody, thank you all. I do have some crab (actually fake crab- pollock that tastes like crab to me :) ). Also I like the baking idea, spraying them w olive oil spray to brown.
I've always cut off the stem and cored them whole. As I will make up a filling like described above, I am going to halve and stuff, coat and bake. I'll take pics and post. Thanks all!

I often make a 'crab' cracker dip with sour cream & spices using the imitation crab. Do the same with smoked salmon.

Maybe mix & match poppers with some using crab, some with chopped shrimp & some with canned tuna. Make the main filling first, then separate into smaller batches and add the fishies to each.

Good luck.

Oh, and it ain't happening unless we see photos here. :rolleyes:

Interesting, Blank, as I had thought about scallops, myself.
OW, I'll copy your main filling and add the chopped up fish to individual portions, great idea. I may add a bit of old bay to your main filling- at least to the crab and shrimp..
I want to bake these, not fry. I'll probably coat some and leave a few uncoated- there is one celiac person in our group. What do you think with them halved, 350 for 35-45 minutes? Up to what? 165 degrees?

Interesting, Blank, as I had thought about scallops, myself.
OW, I'll copy your main filling and add the chopped up fish to individual portions, great idea. I may add a bit of old bay to your main filling- at least to the crab and shrimp..
I want to bake these, not fry. I'll probably coat some and leave a few uncoated- there is one celiac person in our group. What do you think with them halved, 350 for 35-45 minutes? Up to what? 165 degrees?
Old Bay would be fine. I use it in the cracker dip I mentioned above.

I never baked them, so not sure of time. I would think 1/2 hr. would be plenty, or maybe just watch the color.

I saw this on another thread today and, rather than hijack that thread, I thought I would start my own. I have committed to bring meatless jalapeno poppers to a dinner on Friday night. For religious reasons, we do not eat meat on Fridays. Normally I core out a 'peno, insert a sliver of chicken, cream cheese and sharp cheddar and then wrap the entire thing with bacon. This week, no chicken, no bacon. I have some ideas, and read of some others but I am sure someone on here can help me out. Much obliged for your help!
Soooooooooooooo???? We're waiting. :rolleyes:

Not a big poppers guy but meatless Friday’s are a thing at my house too ?
Usually just fry up some white bass or whatever the boys have caught recently.

Probably not so common on a Mormon site like MM? ?

Growing up, my wife wouldn't eat the fish on Friday that her Dad loved, so they let her eat peanut butter instead. To this day she is addicted to the stuff!!!!!

Not a big poppers guy but meatless Friday’s are a thing at my house too ?
Usually just fry up some white bass or whatever the boys have caught recently.

Probably not so common on a Mormon site like MM? ?
Curious. What's the impetus for meatless Fridays now?

Good question... As you allude to, abstinence from meat is no longer a rule for Catholics on all fridays- instead it's technically just Ash Wednesday and all fridays of lent. However, in imitation of Christ's example and following his instructions (eg Luke 13:3) penance is still required, just not necessarily through the Friday meat proscription.
Unfortunately, as is common these days, the modern church hierarchy is anything but clear and definitive on this point, you can read https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-wo...-pastoral-statement-on-penance-and-abstinence which goes on forever and makes many valid but relatively incoherent points. I think it can best be summarized with, "abstaining from meat on Fridays is a good practice and should be continued if you like meat". [Check :)] "But if you want to do other forms of penance, you can do that too". Points 18-24 seem to be most relevant.
So what was a very simple rule with clear implications is now much more ambiguous, and there is of course general confusion and indifference among catholics on the whole question. I tell my kids, if you have a better penance to do, you are welcome to do it - but it's rare to find anything simpler or less disruptive.

Yeah, I thought that was kind of tossed aside about 50 years back. I spent most of my early life from 6 to 20 years old in Catholic learning institutions dealing with the 'rule of Fridays.' We sort of abided by it for the most part back then.

I imagine for many Catholics, eating meat on Fri. now, even during Lent, is probably like a 'little white lie' sin. I recall a Mormon customer at my dad's gas station during the 1960s. He wouldn't drink coffee or coke but had no problem cheating on his wife.

I no longer concern myself with the meat thingie. During those early years, I sort of got 'Catholiced out' as I grew older & wiser. I still like Thurs. night bingo, tho. :)

Anyway, sorry to get off track with religion, but my curiosity was piqued.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom