mentoring program

coyoteslayer

I know some of you are not big supporters of the new mentoring program. I am a big supporter. This past year, I gave my tag to my 10 year old son to hunt Deer in AZ, and it was an awesome experience. However, I just read the rules in the guide book for the mentoring program, and I am not a fan of the way they wrote the rules. In AZ, I had to send my tag back in and get my sons name put on the tag. I could no longer carry my rifle, I had given my tag up. The way I understand Utahs rule is, I keep my tag, I can carry a weapon and so can my son. We can only shoot one animal, but both carry weapons. Is this how everyone else understands the rule? Can I have 2 of my children under 17 both pack weapons? Heck with bow hunting elk, it could be a major advantage for both of us to have weapons if a big bull is coming to a call. If it slips by one of us, the other could shoot it. Could we sit on different watering holes? I wish they would change the wording on the rule, so you have to put the youths name on the tag, and they are the only ones who can shoot the animal. I did not see in the rules where it said how close I needed to be to my son either. I think there should be a limit of 50 yards, or something like that. Heck we could walk up separate ridges the way it reads now. They need to write the rules more clearly.

Here's the DWR link, Should answer your queastons:

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in...nting/1332-utah-hunter-mentoring-program.html

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-14 AT 01:10PM (MST)[p]Found another page with information on it, and found out a couple of answers to my questions. You can only mentor 1 youth at a time, so I would have to pick which child I took, and you have to be in close enough proximity to hear each other, or use hand signals to communicate. You do have to sign up for the program also, at least 10 days before the hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom