MOOSE

OLDHORNHUNTER

Very Active Member
I am putting in this year for Moose does anyone have any ideas on which would be the best areas to look at ?? I live on the west side of the state so would kinda like to be able to do some weekend hunts !! Just looking for some Ideas

Unit 14, Dairy Mountain,4 hrs.from Boise.I shot a 45 inch in 2007. But it has gone down hill with wolves,but still should fill your'e tag with some work. Good Luck

Hey thanks for the info I hear ya on the wolves.. I have talked to a few guys that have said the same .. that & some of the areas I was looking at around Whitebird & Grangeville I guess the local Indians shoot the crap out of them .. Thanks again

Saw a huge bull moose right below the Sturgill Peak lookout on the northwest side, of course there is no season for them there anyway. Surprised the heck out of me. I thought I was looking at a big odd looking black angus bull until he walked out of the brush and I saw his head. Guess I wasn't much help with your query..

Moose in 31, thats crazy. Where do you think he came from? I know there are a few in 22 and a few on the oregon side of 22. is that the only one you have seen up there?

they are in 31 for sure I saw a dinker bull about 8 years ago up off the head of Adams creek .. saw another small bull & a cow over off Keithly Creek about 3 years ago !!

I'm a non resident wanting to do a Bull moose hunt for my bucket list. What are my odds of drawing one and in how many years? I live in Colorado and my buddies dad just drew a cow tag after 17 years and I don't have nearly that amount of time. Just curious if it's worth it. Any good units to apply for?

>I'm a non resident wanting to
>do a Bull moose hunt
>for my bucket list. What
>are my odds of drawing
>one and in how many
>years? I live in
>Colorado and my buddies dad
>just drew a cow tag
>after 17 years and I
>don't have nearly that amount
>of time. Just curious
>if it's worth it.
>Any good units to apply
>for?

Because Idaho does not have any points, your odds are just as good as the next guys. NR odds are hard to calculate on a unit basis because Idaho only allocates 10% of the total tags available in the state. BUT your odds are just as good the first year as they are every consecutive year. Good luck!

So I have my limited choices for applying to Units 1,61, 66, or 67 for moose. I am leaning towards applying for Unit 1 just because that unit has traditionally held good moose numbers. I understand that moose populations have dropped everywhere but the panhandle has seems to the place to be.

Furthermore, Unit 1 offers more access to forest service roads. The other units probably require more backcountry hunting.

I am not interested in shooting a trophy rather I prefer in better odds at just seeing moose in general and having better odds at just harvesting a bull moose.

I know everyone has an opinion on here so I would enjoy some feedback on what unit you would pick.

Respectfully,

>So I have my limited choices
>for applying to Units 1,61,
>66, or 67 for
>moose. I am leaning towards
>applying for Unit 1 just
>because that unit has traditionally
>held good moose numbers. I
>understand that moose populations have
>dropped everywhere but the panhandle
>has seems to the place
>to be.
>
>Furthermore, Unit 1 offers more access
>to forest service roads. The
>other units probably require more
>backcountry hunting.
>
>I am not interested in shooting
>a trophy rather I prefer
>in better odds at just
>seeing moose in general and
>having better odds at just
>harvesting a bull moose.
>
>I know everyone has an opinion
>on here so I would
>enjoy some feedback on what
>unit you would pick.
>
>Respectfully,

Unit 1 has been hit hard by wolves, and the limited moose left are being over sold. The unit is split four ways 1-3 had 20% success in 2013, lowest to date for that hunt. 1-4 the 2 week hunt had 0% harvest last year, the first time that has happened anywhere in unit 1 ever. 1-1, and 1-2, are going to be the same way, they are just a couple of years behind.
This area was a great place to hunt moose ten years ago, the numbers are just now starting to show what locals have been saying for several years now.
Not saying that you cant find one here, but you might not. I know someone that never saw a bull for the entire season, of hunting 1-4 on the short hunt.
We have limited pockets that have survived, and someone will tell you that I'm wrong, but 1-3 went from approx 160 applicants to 14, and 1-4 from 360 applicants to 50, and the other to units are an the same path.
I wish I could tell you where to go, Unit 4 is not bad yet, but it is very heavily timbered, and would be tougher than a lot of other units.
Good luck to all in your draws!

Thank You for the advice. Finally applied for a tag and settled Unit 61-2. Met someone who has hunted there and can grow 've some good directions, should I draw a tag.

Unit 61 used to hold alot of good moose, numbers are definitely down from the wolves but if you draw you should be able to find some. Good luck
46cfa7275632b29c.jpg

Unit 61 is a good unit. Don't let the glass half full of wolves people discourage you. I have seen several good bulls in that unit. Do wolves kill moose? Yes, but it still should be a good hunt.

Good unit choice. This is a 61 bull moose from last year.

6985don_lang_1.jpg

Here's another from last year in 61 also. The points are amazing.

2958steve_sherick_moose4.jpg

Beautiful moose! That looks like the hunt of a lifetime. Now the waiting game begins.... Me along with everyone else.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom