more deer season summeries 2008 proposed

LAST EDITED ON Apr-09-08 AT 11:24PM (MST)[p]Rackmaster- There's a new hunt that has been proposed this year. It is G-11...Vandenberg either sex hunt. It says Military or DOD. What do you suppose DOD stands for. This hunt takes place on an Air Force Base which is a 12 minute drive from my house. I've done a lot of work on this base and I know there are a lot of deer and some good deer on it. From what I understand, the new Commander on base wanted his buddies to be able to hunt with him so he was pushing for a hunt that broadened those who could hunt there. Up til now its been hunted only by the military. Any one know anything else to this hunt?

Steve

it stands for Department Of Defense.....
not sure if that would include DOD, Base sub-contractors!
Call base and ask public relations and don't relax on it..
kinda push it but don't be a #####!
Its a poke and hope but I guess it worth it...are you a Vet?
rackmaster

Steve, i had relitives that lived in lompoc by San Luie Obisbo. My Uncle worked at Vandenburg Air Forse base. They shot off, launched, lots of rockets and stuff from there in the 60's. DOD?, i would think so.

Not sure at all if this is the same area you're talking, doesn't sound like it being you're farther south and i wouldn't have a clue about hunting on the base if it was. Anyway, if that was the case, few of my H.S. friends went to Cal Poli SLO hooked up with some locals and have hunted deer & pigs near San L.Obisbo. There are huge frigging deer on some of the private ranches near there.

Good luck in your search!

joey

Steve, That hunt isnt a new hunt this year. It has been going on for years. The only way you and I could hunt it is with a current military personel. They can bring on I think 3 hunters a year. A guy I know says he might be able to take me this year. Do you know any military guys out there?

Andy- The hunt is new to the Ca. regulations. I know military have been able to hunt it for a long time cuz I've gone out there with Joey Mastroddi- he was in the Marines and could use his A zone tag out there. When I was a kid we had neighbors that were military and they'd take big bucks and pigs every year.

I have never been in the military so I am not able to hunt out there. Although, when I worked for my father in law, we did a lot of underground work out there installing water lines, sewer lines, fiber optics, etc. Ive been all over that base and have seen some pretty good bucks on the south end.

Joey- San Luis Obispo is about 55 miles North of Vandenberg. Lompoc is just due southeast of the base. I'm in Orcutt which is about 12 miles north of the north end of the base. The deer hunting is tough in this area unless you have a private ranch to hunt on. There is so much pressure/hunters that the deer make themselves scarce. Private ranches is the only way to hunt in this area unless you are able to pack in a ways. But then you've either got to pack in a lot of water or know where a spring is cuz the season down here in August and Sept.....HOT!!

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Apr-11-08 AT 01:41PM (MST)[p]Any other military guys out there that have hunted on Vandenberg?

Steve

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom