More local news - a little off-roading

Bluehair

Long Time Member
Hopefully you can open the link. The pitchers of a 38’ motor home pulling a car stuck on a mountain road are worth it. :oops: I’m surprised he didn’t try to back her back down. These idiots fill our roads these days.

Hopefully you can open the link. The pitchers of a 38’ motor home pulling a car stuck on a mountain road are worth it. :oops: I’m surprised he didn’t try to back her back down. These idiots fill our roads these days.

exactly.gif
I had seen that. Complete idiot is right.

Reminds me of the kid that tried to cross the earthen dam at Vallecito Lake one night at midnight in a 2-wheel drive car during a blizzard that had already put down over a foot of snow on top of some already there. Looking for help after he slide off the dam nearly into the lake, he then walked several miles & rousted me out of bed at 2 a.m.

Both idiots should have their licenses revoked immediately and any hunting licenses they may hold & maybe even their voting rights

Also scroll down to the article ' police searching for suspect who performed sexually deviant act on horse'.... Wtf!

I wonder what he was delivering?

Several times a year there will be a local news story of a truck and trailer load of top soil that gets stuck on one our backroads. We have a lot of people growing tomatoes up in the hills these days.

"Pictures"

RAZZIN Ya Blue!:D

My mom drove her 38' motorhome towing her ford explorer until almost 80 years old. She did have a class A license in her younger days, but most of these folks should not be driving a car let alone a motorhome.

Seeing a lot of little SUV’s pulling 30’ and bigger camp trailers these days. Just a wreck waiting to happen.

There is a Communication tower on Loafer Mountain Spanish Fork. One Suburban Propane truck rolled off without exploding (2000) gallons propane on a bobtail truck. It got delivered whenever needed but only a couple guys ever had the juevos to do the job.

My buddy drove a mixer truck to the top of Abajo Peak (Monticello UT) when they built the towers. They couldn’t turn around so they built them a couple of switchbacks. There were only two drivers who would do it.

I you’ve ever been to Monticello and seen what I’m talking about, you know it was a special kind of crazy. :oops:

Anyway, who can afford a plywood motorhome these days?

I’ve had my turn at stupid. Actually, I’ve taken way too many wrong turns. My truck dealer won’t take my outfits in trade. Can’t say it’s been an been a passive way to live.

I guess I’ll just keep updating this thread. This is why there is a gate and we can’t drive into the mountains in the winter any more. They are very lucky the phone worked.

“Two tourists who relied on a phone app’s map to drive from Groundhog Reservoir to Moab became stranded near Lone Cone Peak and had to be rescued, according to Dolores County Search and Rescue.

The couple from Maryland were unharmed, and were rescued Oct. 25 at 10,800 feet elevation as a winter storm approached the area, said Keith Keesling, operations captain for Dolores Search and Rescue.

“Apparently, a map on their phone suggested a back way to Moab from the lake,” Keesling said.

He said the route was “not even possible because of bad weather and closed roads.”

ver&type=preview&source=false&width=720&height=731.jpg

The Groundhog Lake area is situated in rugged mountain country.

The couple had attended a wedding at Groundhog when they decided to take the scenic route in a rented Toyota RAV4 to Moab based on a driving map app, Keesling said.

On Forest Road 534 at the base of Lone Cone Peak, they lost control of the vehicle on rugged and snowy roads, became stranded and called 911.

Rescuers arrived on ATVs, and the couple was medically checked out. Dove Creek ambulance chief Jerry Whited drove the RAV4 down to dry roads. A short time later, a snowstorm hit the area with a foot of snow.

“They were very thankful, and happy to take the paved highway to Moab instead,” Keesling said.

He said visitors who rely on travel apps that suggest shortest routes through mountainous terrain and passes have caused numerous rescues over the past few years.

“Shortcuts work in cities, but not in the mountains. Pay attention and don’t blindly follow Google maps,” Keesling said. “Always make sure you tell someone your planned route. If this couple had not had cell service, they would have become trapped in that storm.”

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom