Most unsuccessful utahn

carbonnation

I am curious who has recieved the most consecutive unsuccessful letters from the UDWR. Big game LE Hunts only. OLT hunts excluded. Personally I have never drawn an LE hunt of any kind in Utah. (Not even a cow tag) This year marked the 20th consecutive year of applying for an LE big game tag (19 elk) with no luck. People make me feel better about my luck and chime in......

I probably can't make you feel better, but I do have a question.

How many bonus points do you have now?
If you have really been applying that long you should have around 14 or so. That should get you almost any elk unit in the state.

Just curious, what unit you have been applying for?

Better luck next year!

Bonus points didn't start until about 15 years ago. Some units won't be guaranteed for max points for many years still.

The first year bonus points came around, I put in for a speed goat. Since then I have been putting in for Elk. At first I applied for Roadless Bookcliffs, but for many years now I have been a San Juan man. I have been facing the same situation as mulepacker. Until recntly, I have not wanted to spend my points on lesser units, but I would like to apply for deer before I die, so next year I may cave.

I cant make you feel good... I have drawn 3 le tags in the last 10 years...
Antelope with 5 points in 97- 3-corners any weapon
Antelope with 0 points 2001- 3-corners any weapon
Elk with 8 points 2008- 3-corners archery
and I have drawn a Cow Elk tag every year since 96 in Ogden unit

Maybe if you changed units your luck would change? pick a unit that is not so high demand or change weapons.. take up archery..

When UTAH started the bonus point system the first
two years you could apply for all species, with
that being said, I think you might have had 14
points this year, that is 1 off of max.
Within 2 years all of the max point holders should
be gone, but there are quite a few with 1 less.

My suggestion would be to stay the course! It will happen soon enough. If you want San Juan, I'd just keep going. You have enough points now that you won't have too much longer to wait on any unit. Unit and weapon make a huge difference on what you draw. Since 2000, I have drawn a Vernon archery deer tag, CWMU antelope tag and a LE archery elk tag. My dad has drawn a Vernon archery tag, LE muzzleloader elk tag and CWMU deer tag. And my wife drew a LE rifle elk tag in 2005. All of these were drawn with less than 5 points, but there's also good reasons for that. If I had that many points, I'd have "Henrie's" written all over my application! After killing a few smaller animals, I've decided to be in it for the long run and apply for LE rifle deer and a unit that is tough to draw (not the Henries.....yet), I'll have 6 deer points and 7 moose points after this year. Don't give up!

I have 35 UNSUCCESSFUL's from Utah since 1998, including all species. I drew a Cache Crawford Deer with no points, when I was 16. Haven't drawn a tag since.

You just have to start putting in for every tag in every state. Otherwise you may only have a decent hunt a few times in your life. Sad to think about, I know.

Grizzly

Carbon, If you are one under max points for elk. Last year 79 people had 13 points who applied for San Juan EARLY HUNT and ZERO DREW. 32 people had max points 14. 10 drew which was about 33% chance of drawing. Don't plan on hunting San Juan early rifle for quite a few years, having less than max points, unless you get lucky. Good luck.

I don't know if I was the most unsuccessful, however getting a loser letter each year can weigh on a guy.
My decision to get out of the elk game was well thought out. I think a person needs to decide for themselves what they want.
I am at an age where if it took me 3-5 more years to draw one of the top units, then wait five years before applying again, then another 10 plus years to draw, I would need a geriatrics ward entarouge to help with a second LE elk hunt in Utah. I would like to hunt a second Utah big stinky.
I also believe that we are only a couple years from a change on the LE units.
I know the N Cache extremely well, have helped take some good bulls off of it starting before the rise of Utah's "quality" elk herd and have a couple 380 bulls from past years in my scouting reports. I surely would not settle for another 3-4 yr old unit as I would start from scratch. If I am starting from scratch I would give myself every advantage a 5-6 yr old unit with a 1:1 ratio if possible and be patient until it happened.
One other advantage was that the N Cache had 2 premium tags I don't know if I would settle for a one season tag on the unit, but this gives me maximum opportunity to hunt. Somedays I still have doubts and think it would have been nice to hold out for a premium unit. However, if I do kill a bull of a lifetime (350+) off the N Cache my satisfaction will be greater than if I killed the next world record off a Central or Southern Unit.
IMO there is a lot to be said for hunting the most difficult scenario and being successful.
Last but not least and the deciding factor. I want to share the hunt with my family and friends, this is more important than any score. I am guaranteed of doing this on the N Cache making the hunt a no lose situation for me, bull or no bull.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-08 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]BFE
LOL....Thats Fantansic

Edit: You are one pathatic loser
JK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom