Mule deer behavior I've notice

snagpoint

Every morning and then evening of my Super Tag hunt you would find me, sitting and watching a pass from before daylight to around 10 to 11 am. Then in the evening I would be in position from 3-4 pm until dark. After hunting 4 weeks and seeing over a 1000+ deer I will share some of the things I noticed.
4911img_0203.jpg

The does and yearlings were mewing to each other all the time, as groups of up to 30 would go by me, the noise they made was astounding.
9239img_0197.jpg

Deer don't like cows, like in moo cows on open range. Time and again I watched deer move around and change course to avoid coming close to cows. In fact I watched a 170 to 180 class buck who would not go between two cows that were 50 yards apart.

And I love this insight. Deer hate the sound of quads. They = that sound with trouble. Even a quad on a main road a long way away. If they could hear it they got spooky acting. Sometimes even running away at the noise. Cars and pickups didn't seem the bother them until they saw movement inside the cab or someone opened a door.

Finally my brother and I are going to make big $$$$$$$ making a cover scent for road hunters. There will be a never ending market, because road hunters are everywhere. I can see it now, "A hunter with a monster mule deer buck, saying,'Thanks to Road Hunters Cover Scent, I shot this monster buck, drive all day in your quad, truck or utv and rest assured that Road Hunters Cover Scents has your rigs ass under cover.'"
"We have met the enemy, and they is us!" Pogo

Very cool that you were able to watch so many deer and make good observations. I had noticed that about deer and quads also. I was watching a decent buck one time that was feeding next to a small forky buck. I notice the big buck act funny by looking around and then I watch the buck lay down on the ground. He lay his head down right on the ground and through the spotter I couldn't even see him anymore. Then I hear a quad coming down the trail and the quad keeps coming and even stopped to look at the small buck. The quad left and after a while the bigger buck got up and feed like normal.

Some smart bucks out there.

Funny I have seen the same things. I have seen it with elk as well. no so much the moo cow issue but definitely with the ATVs. I have seen elk run 3 miles ahead of an approaching ATV. Deer do the same things. If it was not for little piss cutter or the rut most ATV guys would have a hard time killing a buck.

My dad and I glassed 2 160 ish bucks this last hunting season in the time we watched we had 17 ATVs pass us. None ever saw the 2 bucks both of which were bedded just over an edge not visible to a person sitting on an ATV. Both bucks would lay their heads down and watch once the ATV was gone heads up chewing cud, then back down. I made the joke that there neck were huge due to the ATV work out and not the rut.

LoL
Back in the good old days. (about 1990) Hunting a good friends ranch in eastern Montana I noted (hard not to when encircled by 100+ Black angus) that the deer didn't even look at you, if you drove a diesel f250, just like the one the ranch hands drove to feed the cattle. Watching animals and learning more about them, is one of the main reasons I like to hunt. Just when you think you got it figured out. Pow, something new comes along.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom