Muzzleloader's

idahoan

I am asking for some info on what a good muzzle loader would be quality wise and things of that nature that i could use here in Idaho. I have read the reg's on the rules and such just seeing what works for other's thanks for your help.
Is the T/C Northwest Explorer a good gun?

i'd re-post in the muzzleloader hunting forum. you'll get a lot more responses. i ended up getting a 50 cal knight bighorn last year. i read some pretty good reviews and for the money, decided to pull the trigger. never did hunt with it last year, or even shot the damn thing. but ive got one whenever i decide to go that direction:) good luck.

In my opinion the TC NE has too slow of twist for big lead conicals. I like to shoot paper patched 500 S&W bullets in my guns. I have made several TC Renegades and Hawkens that have fast twist barrels. I think thay are the best guns for Idaho but that is my opinion. Ron

Flatlander2.jpg

500SW3-22-08small.jpg

Hawken1.jpg

316grMinie100yardsinfoadded.jpg

Thanks for the ideas guys, I looked into the Renegade and they said they were discontinuing it, any ideas on where I can look at guns like these? I do like the look of them and need to make a decision rather quickly so I can start practicing.

The rate of twist depends on the bullet you want to shoot. On my 50's I like this lee 500 S&W bullet it is 460 gr with pure lead. This bullet is perfect with a 1-28 twist. This rate of twist also handles sabots well. I have never shot a sabot load over 310 gr with a 1-28 twist.
For conical 45 cal I like 1-28 twist for bullets under 325 gr. and for anything over that I like 1-18 twist.
Ron

I get my renegades used, and cheep as I can, and add the barrel and sights. It is not a cheep way to go. In fact you can buy A Lyman Great plains hunter for about the same money. The Lyman peep sight and globe front sight fit perfectly on the GPH with NO work at all to install. The rate of twist for the GPH is 1-32 twist. I don't know if it would stabilize my moose mauler 460 gr paper patch bullets. I kind of think it would not but you never know. But there are smaller bullets to use. Here is a link to the GPH but I have NEVER used one so I can not give a recommendation about them.
Some other Idaho friendly rifle are the Remington 700 ML. and the knight MK 85, BK 92, and some others. Your running out of time. If you had plenty of time I would say build a Hot Rod Renegade or Hot Rod Hawken. Here is the Lyman link for the rifle, rear sight, front sight, and BPCR inserts. This would get you a rifle that looks a lot like mine, and should shoot similar to mine. I wish I could give you more input on the 1-32 twist. I have heard that they shoot the lead power belts well, and they are legal in Idaho. Ron

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...&subId=117&styleId=384&partNum=LYMAN-GPH-50-P

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...Id=14&subId=167&styleId=770&partNum=RS-57-GPR

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...Id=14&subId=167&styleId=763&partNum=FS-17-AEU

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12372/Product/GLOBE-SIGHT-INSERTS

>Thanks for the ideas guys, I
>looked into the Renegade and
>they said they were discontinuing
>it, any ideas on where
>I can look at guns
>like these? I do like
>the look of them and
>need to make a decision
>rather quickly so I can
>start practicing.

I was in your shoes a couple months ago. I went into it planning on a more modern looking in-line style rifle and even looked at the Northwest Hunter model, but after researching it quite a bit and planning on shooting conicals, I ended up buying a Lyman Great Plains Hunter and so far I love it. It comes stock with a 1-32 twist barrel and I have been using 348 gr. powerbelts in it. I have a lot to learn about these but they are fun to shoot.

Jaxon

thanks again for your help everyone, I need to just try them and see what feels good, it will be a learning experience

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom