My dads deer and late 39 ideas

bchap05

So my dad shot this guy on the 2nd day of general rifle. Same area where he shot a monster 9x8 last year. Of course we hunt together for a day and see nothing.So we split up and he shoots a nice buck 2 years in a row. I think he uses me as a decoy to push them to him haha. Old man skills.

Anyways after 4 days of archery elk in 31 (saw well over 100 elk and 10-15 bulls) , 3 days rifle (saw 2 bucks) in that unit my dad got this deer, and 2 days of rifle in 39 I still haven't been in a good position to shoot. So I'm going to go out Friday for the late archery in 39. Not real familiar with 39 the 2 days I hunted rifle were the first time I've ever hunted it. Hunted above arrowrock near willow creek and it was 70 degrees and deer weren't pushed down there yet.

It's supposed to snow wed and thursday so I'm hoping to be able to see tracks. Any recommendations on a starting point with the first snow? I'm torn between hunting the border of the draw hunt near cottonwood creek, or pushing further up in towards browns creek. Or has it still been too warm and I should go elsewhere like Danskin? Don't need a specific spot but any tips would be appreciated thanks! I usually hike 5-10 miles up steep stuff so not worried about that.

9745deer.jpg

How about this.

I'll trade you GPS coords of some late archery spots in 39 for the GPS coords of those 2 bucks :)

Thats a couple great bucks.

I'm giving this hunt a try for the first time tomorrow. The snow is pretty deep in town, whats the reality of access tomorrow morning for this hunt? Do they plow the middle fork and/or blacks creek roads?

Get to a high point at Cottonwood, either side of the ranger station. You will see good bucks. PM me if you need more.

Adversity does not build character, it reveals it - Audaces Fortuna Juvat

>How about this.
>
>I'll trade you GPS coords of
>some late archery spots in
>39 for the GPS coords
>of those 2 bucks :)
>

Hahah hmmmmm. They didn't plow and the road was pretty bad but didn't need chains. Saw 50ish and 3 bucks but nothing in shooting range besides a doe at 40 ish. Will head back out sometime this week

have any luck ?? I went Saturday over around Horseshoe Bend close to 8" of snow saw about 100 head of elk & 2 does !! walked probably 4 miles very few tracks even actually saw more yote tracks than deer !!

I saw a lot of deer this weekend, lots of big bucks but no opportunities at most. Did miss a giant 3 point on Saturday at 35 yds, misjudged the distance and took hair off his back. Ended up killing my first archery buck ever just as I was about ready to head home Sunday. Big 2 pt but I was very happy with him. Don't know how to post pics or I'd put one up.

I must not know where to go cause I Saw squat.

Seems to be too much snow already in between horseshoe bend and Idaho city. no tracks at all

I'm heading out again tomorrow and Friday. Hope to see as many as I saw last week. Not sure how much lower they have moved

I have never seen so many hunters hunting in a closed area today. All in the areas where its marked closed for elk/deer with orange signs. Muddy as heck on the road to Atlanta. Lots of deer but lots of hunters too, unsure if fish and game ever drives that road but 4-5 separate vehicles were hunting where it was closed (cottonwood creek) You could see the hunters right on the hill side trying to stalk some does.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom