New Idea

To be fare I hunt with all three weapons, I just love to hunt. This year I killed three bucks. "Rifle in Wyoming, Muzzy in Colorado, and Archery in utah". This year I took my 15 year old brother muzzy hunting in Utah "central region". We seen One two point! In 3 days, I took my wife rifle hunting "central Region". We could not find a buck. My wife hunted 5 full days and put several miles on the boots. My wife and little brother were first time hunters and so far don't want to hunt next year!!!

My views- 2008 utah kill %

-Rifle 43,680 total hunters. 12,218 bucks killed "28%" and average hunt days 3.7

-Muzzy 11,488 total hunters. 3,171 bucks killed "27.6%" and average hunt days 4.3

-Archery 13,331 total hunters. 2,551 bucks killed "19.7%" and
average hunt days 8.7

Ok, So we know the dwr will not cut tags because of $$$. We know most people still want to hunt every year. We know we need to get the youth and new hunters involved.

I told you I love to hunt all 3 weapons, but if the average Archery hunter hunts for 8.7 days and only kills 19.7% "and it's state wide, Most kills in the south" and a rifle hunter only hunts for 3.7 days and can still kill at 28% than something is wrong. I too would rather have a gun in my hand but when I took two first time hunters this year on two diff. hunts and could only find one 2 point???

This is what needs to happen...

-Same amount of tags, so the dwr will be happy with the $$$

- So in 2008 there was 68,499 hunters afield in all three hunts lets break it up like this "RIFLE 34,250 tags. you still get 50%"
"MUZZY 14,250 Tags" "ARCHERY 20,000 tags"

Best Idea!!! NO MORE TWO pionts..
A 1 to 1.5 year old buck are usually still hanging around does off the side of the road and are stupid. If this bucks could get to 2 years old they become twice as smart. Lets have a no two point and spike rule. Let anyone 16 years and younger be able to kill any buck including 2 points. This will get the youth involved and they can see a few bucks. And be excided about hunting. In turn how many bigger bucks will grow??? Alot!!!

Yea rifle hunters will not be happy, but they can still hunt and see more deer, better quality and watch the youth have more fun!!!

I agree with your proposal just getting UDWR and general public
on our side,
Alot of hunting ranches only alow the harvest of a mature buck
5 years and older and the quality and numbers speak for them selfs, I would almost say holding off a few years to let the buck numbers grow until leting the youth take 2points (anybuck)
as well but I believe this is the only way we will ever see
the deer population grow, hunters are getting more sufficient
in hunting better scopes, rifles, bows, range finders,
cameras ect. and the numbers you have is only what is reported
could be a few hundred more in each catagory.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom