Non Resident, What Should I Apply For?

twsnow18

I'm not sure what kind of reaction I'll get but here goes. I'm a college student and resident of Idaho that is brand new to applying to other states. Cost is a part of the equation. I noticed New Mexico's deadline is coming up fast so I've got a few questions. I'm interested in elk and mule deer only.

As a NR, do I have to purchase a license to apply in NM? If so, what would I roughly be out the door to apply for elk and deer?

I like the random draw system that you guys have, similar to ours in Idaho. I'm looking to put in for good tags (not the best one) with odds that are in the 10% or less range as I can't afford to make a trip for a mediocre tag. If I draw a good one, it's much easier to justify re-arranging my fall. Any advice on units to research for elk and mule deer?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-13 AT 12:54PM (MST)[p]If I was you, I would concentrate on elk. The mule deer herd in NM is not worth the money and time you would spend coming down here. Antelope, elk and exotics are well worth the trip though if you can pull a tag.

Yes you have to purchase a license, its $65 but its refundable if you dont get drawn. You have to front the full cost of the tag fee, for the Quality and High demand units, this will be $780, you will get $760 back if you don't draw.

If you bow hunt, stick to the primitive only units, you will have 2-3x better odds for premier units vs. rifle tags.

Deer #'s are distorted for the stae by the hammers that come off the res. I'd love to see the B&C numbers for NM if you back out all the res deer, bet it would drop off the charts.

TWsnow18,

You need to buy a $65 refundable license to apply. All tag fees are charged to your credit card up-front. If you don't draw NMG&F will credit your card back the tag fee less the $20 application fee. For elk the tag is either $555 or $780 depending on whether it is a Standard (S) or Quality/High Demand(Q/HD). Similar if you want to add deer at $290 or $375 depending on license type. Sheep tags are $3,180 and ibex/oryx tags are $1,630, The NR non-guided tag quota is 6% of the listed tag quotas in the hunt tables and applies to antelope, elk, deer but not sheep and ibex. Good tags are very hard to draw in NM as a NR un-guided hunter. There is a wealth of information available at the NMG&F website at; http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation/hunting/index.htm. With minimal effort on your part, you should be able to get all your questions answered. By looking at the Draw Odds report found there you will quickly see what units have the most interest and thus usually the better trophy hunting with the corresponding low draw odds you are seeking. NMtaxi provides excellent advice on concentrating on the elk hunts if you are on a budget. Hope this helps and good luck!

Horniac

What nmtaxi said--forget about NM deer, you'd be disappointed compared to your Idaho deer. Concentrate on elk and/or an OIL oryx. Either of those would be much more worth your trip.

Thanks a lot for the responses and input. I'm sure you guys know how difficult it is to figure out multiple states, so thanks again. I will focus on elk, but it will definitely be a DIY hunt.

I would apply in the Gila if I were you. In order, I would choose 16D, 16A, and 16C. If you will be bow hunting you can easily draw a 16 deer tag that is good in all of 16 at the same time as your elk hunt and have a chance at mule or coues deer.

Cory

I agree with the Gila, however 16 C has really gone down hill over the last 5-10 years. Just not the numbers or size in there that there once was. Here is a list of Units that are the best trophy units:

16 D best unit and hunt in the state
16 A 2nd best unit and Hunt
15 not far behind, bigger unit, more people

13 and 17 big elk, fewer and harder to find

34 and 36 lots of elk, nice ones and average ones, good all around units.

There are other good units, but there are the best in a nut shell, 10, 12, 51, 52 are considerations.

Oh and if you have horses 16 B could be great, 16e kind of like 16c. Unit 2 isn't well know, but a good unit to kill a sub 300 inch 6 point. Thats my take. And FYI, you probably won't draw, after the non-resident assault, unless you are being guided even for average units the odds are slim to none. For size and numbers New mexico isn't even close to Utah or Arizona for whatever that's worth. It's a bit better than colorado for size, but much harder to get a tag in. If you actually look at the B and C book, the size of book bulls being killed in New Mexico over the last 10 years has nose dived, poor management, predators, who knows, but for what its worth New Mexico in general is a frustrating State to hunt:

1. Hard to draw
2. Quality way down
3. quantity down
4. Short seasons (you'll see how frustrating that is)
5. Too many tags given out, crowded hunts
6. Expensive

Positive side: it's still hunting

Now don't get me started on deer. Definitely save your money there.

Why are some of the NR Elk Tags for $500 and change and others are $700? Both are equally tough to draw.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom