Note to self

sigboy66

Next time tell the taxidermist detachable antlers. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

After 10 long months of waiting me finally got my moose back from the taxidermist, little did I think that it would not fit down the stairwell into the basement in my man cave with 9 foot high ceilings. The darn thing is only 1-2 inches to wide to fit. My only other options are

Option 0) Go back in time and shoot a 41" moose.
Option 1) Dig the window well larger and pop the window out.
Option 2) Pop the window out in the upstairs den and haul it up via a rope or ladder and put it in the den.
Option 3) Move into a bigger house.
Option 4) Leave it in the family room (the little woman has yet to see it) Catch hell from the little woman for a few months while I work option 1, 2, or 3 out.

securedownload14.jpg

Option 5) probably the easiest) Hang it in the garage which has cathedral ceilings in it.

My questions to you guys are how bad would it be to leave it in the garage?

How much will it deteriorate in the Utah climate of 10 degree winters and 95+ degree summers?

Really I just need good justification to the wife why option 5 is not an option.

Still my dream to get a nice 4x4+ muley (which may come true this fall) and 6x6 elk (20 years from now when I have enough points to draw anyplace good). With a big elk my only option is to put it in the garage, or mount it 2 feet off the ground with detachable antlers.

Thanks,

Sig

I'm just guessing myself , but I think the garage deal would be kind of hard on a mount . I think you have a good arguement about the temperture deal and the fact that the cape isn't going to hold up as well if it was inside .

Then again on the flip side I have a guy in my neighborhood that has a bull elk in his garage and it still looks good after a bunch of years .

Is it a option for your taxi guy to make one side detachable ? I realize its probably harder now that its mounted , and he would have to be careful , but why couldn't one side be cut off and then have the post mounted .

I would want it in my man cave , and would figure out some way to get it down there .

Just take it back to the taxidermist and have him make one detachable. It isn't that hard. I have done 2 elk and one moose in the last year for people with older mounts wanting to move mounts into different areas. Should cost around $100, as it is more time consuming.

Nice moose.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-11 AT 08:49PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-13-11 AT 08:46?PM (MST)

Foundation and Packout thanks for the replies.

I did call my taxidermist after and he made it sound like it was too late. That's why I posted here. This guy is really busy and working 12+ hour days. He does good work. My guess he does not want to do it or has more work than he can handle right now. I really want it downstairs where all my other mounts will be going. I am seriously just needing 2 more inches of clearance. Packout I can bring it to you if your willing to make one antler detachable?

Thanks,

Sig

It is very easy to do even now after it is mounted. If you were closer, I'd be glad to do it for you. You just need to take several measurments to make sure you get it back to the exact same place. Tip to tip, tip to ground with the mount sitting on the floor, etc. Then cut off one antler, drill into the antler and also the base. I cut the square tube in half and fiberglass one side into antler and the other into the base. Make sure you tape off the one end to keep the fiberglass out while pushing the tube in the hole. Then put the square pin in and slip the antler back on. Now posiiton the antler back into place using the measurements you took earlier, and let dry.
I put removables on all of my larger mounts. It is even easier before you mount it. If anyone is interested, send me a PM. Anyone can do it for about 20 bucks. You need the square pins and some fiberglass and a large drill and bits. No measurments if you do it before you mount it, just drill, pin and fiberglass in place, but there is a trick to do it right.

Thanks for the offer but I dropped it off to packout and he is taking care of me. Thanks again for all the help.

You know, I've heard that Packout dude is a nice guy. Met him once but he can sure stir the pot in a DWR meeting!;-)

It's always an adventure!!!

AW- I resemble that remark. Got to wake up a couple of those Board Members enough that they call names and demean the public. I hear you are a nice guy also and, by what I saw in person that day, you are. It makes me want to apologize for hanging those tree stands next to yours a few years ago... hahaha

Anyway, the antler has been cut-off, posted and the bull is ready to go into Sig's trophy room. And it is a nice Shiras.

www.sagebasin.com

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-11 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]Thanks again Packout!!!! The moose looks great he fit down the stairwell like a dream. got alot of weird looks on the way home, with a one antlerred moose in the back of my truck.

He seems to big for my small house but I don't care how much room he takes up I think he looks awesome. I probably need to move him to another wall as he kinda blocks access to the reloading press and makes my pronghorn look really small. Of all the OIL animals my favorite is moose eventhough he is not small house friendly.

Maybe I can draw a dessert bighorn before I hit 60.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom