NR with Application Questions...

twsnow18

I'm a college student and resident of Idaho that is brand new to applying to other states. Cost is a part of the equation but I'm interested in building Mule Deer points in Colorado.

From the quick research I've done it looks like it'd run me $10 for the habitat stamp and another $25 per species to apply. Is this correct? If so, that's not bad at all.

Also, what units/hunts should I research? I don't want to have to wait 20 years to hunt there. How many points are you looking at generally to get a decent tag for a 170" buck or better? I know that's a very broad question but just get me in the ball park. 5 points? 10 points? 15? Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

To get a point you will need to submit the full application amount. So you need to have the full cost of the in your account when you apply. They will take the full amount and hold onto it until they send out refunds in late June. When your refund is returned it will be less the necessary application fee. As far as units, nearly all units in CO hold some great bucks. Some of the easiest to draw units will produce deer in your 170ish range. However, typically them ore points a tag takes to draw the better. Being brand new to the game, you need to realize that many tags are experiencing "points creep". Meaning that over time it is taking longer to draw a tag. For example the resident buck tag I started applying for 8 years ago took only 8 years to draw. Well I am at 8 now and it looks like 10 this year to draw by the time I am at 10 it very well could be 12.

Once I cash in I am going back to units that take 2-3 years to draw. The chance to kill a big buck is present in all units and not hunting deer for several years is not increasing my opportunity.

If I were in your shoes I would look for a tag that takes 3-5 years to draw, scout and work hard. A lot of us got hose over by the bad winter in 2007, and many tags were dropped from the pool. this will continue to have a ripple effect on tag allocation and points building.

The other hard part about Colorado is the options. You could try early rifle high country deer, archery deer, muzzy deer, 2nd season rifle, 3rd season rifle, 4th season rifle etc.

More important than the unit is type of hunt you want? treeline early with velvet horns, or later with rut activity snow etc.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom