Oil change question

When I was a kid, I saw the old guys in the service stations doing that. Just figured it was a normal oil change procedure. Haven’t seen anyone do in a looooooong time.

Fill your filter w/oil.

Search YouTube for a 1980 Valvoline oil change commercial. They recommend lubing your gasket.

Fill your filter w/oil.

Search YouTube for a 1980 Valvoline oil change commercial. They recommend lubing your gasket.
On some of the powerstroke FB pages, some mechs are recommending NOT to fill the filter.

I still fill it.

Back when I had a service contract on my 350, I had to change the oil myself one time because of scheduling issues. The filter was on so tight, I had to drill a hole in the filter, then use some rebar to get it to come loose. When it did come loose, it squeaked. THat was my first and last time ever for getting a service contract. Ford, and likely other brands, aren't gonna waste the time of their diesel mech to do this. That job will fall to the new dude/dudette, the shop monkey.

I always lube the gasket. Don't fill the filter. I'm old, but I also wonder how many people actually change their own oil any more. I've never paid anyone to change my oil, for the same reason feddoc stated above. I might not know more than the guy at the shop, but I do know I care and will do it right.

And it takes 1.5 hours to drive to town and back. Then wait on the shop. I can change the oil faster than I can drive to town and back.

And I do know that young gal would get lots of volunteers to help grease her skids.

Have you guys seen some of these vehicles where the filter mounts on the side or even on top?
So how the hell do you fill it?

Lube gasket yes.

Have you guys seen some of these vehicles where the filter mounts on the side or even on top?

Lube gasket yes.
My new Tundra has a horizontal mount filter.
I fill it before I drain the truck oil and by the time I am ready to install the new filter, all the oil is absorbed inside the filter. I use Mobile One and Toyota OEM filters.

There's no reason to fill the filter. But there are a couple things I like about the video.

Sophie is an excellent player and that's one of the best songs of all time. I don't think she's as good as Knopfler but I'd watch her play three blind mice in that top.

Them Oil Filter Cartridges Up On Top Are The Best Kind!

You Can't & Don't Need To Fill Them!

And You Don't Get Any BLACK NASTY On You!

Lube gasket yes.

Like I said....fill you filter.

I have 2 Camry's. Their oil filter sticks up like an erection. Each time I "Cold-Start" them, it takes like 5 seconds for the oil light to go out. One has 265K on it, and the other 302K.

Last edited:
Ive always filled the filter. I guess I dont see any reason not to. And it’s not hard to do, so…

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom