Oregon Antelope???

oregonmuley

Very Active Member
Ok so I was lucky this year and got my first antelope tag here in Oregon. I have looked over the maps of the unit and did my first scouting this weekend and I have a few questions in general about antelope. I didn't expect to see a million antelope but I guess I thought I'd see more than 6 does - which all ran like crazy even when I got within a half mile of them. So my question before I panic, this early do you just not see the numbers? I've been told that by the season the bucks start to be easier to see. ALso, hunt all day or focus on morning/afternoon? Last dumb question, the unit I'm in seems to have a lot of tall sage - do these little things bed in the sage or do they like to stick to the lower sage/grass so they can see? This is my first hunt after 11 years of trying to draw so I want to make the most of it. Any antelope experts I'd appreciate any and all advise.
Thanks

I hunted antelope in Oregon once and it took me 7 days to find a buck. It was tough to say the least but I was hunting a second season. Don't panic, what I have found with antelope is they are where you find them. They can be anywhere. The most important thing to focus on is water and look about 2 miles in a radius around the water. When they start to rut they will be with the does and will become territorial, they run the does like a cattle dog. Antelope hunting is good all day long not just in the mornings and evenings. You will be fine, study the maps and find water.

Rich

Thanks for the info - i think with it being so dry this year the water thing will be #1. Back to the maps to see what I need to check for the next trip.

Congrats to getting an Oregon antelope tag. That is like gold to draw one of them. I have about 8 points so I am just getting started. What unit did you draw? I can help in some units.

God Bless and see you in the outdoors,

Jon and Stacy Ball
1-877-347-4662
www.JonsOutdoors.com
Which is
Gimme A Go Fishing Adventures (Columbia River Sturgeon & Salmon)
JS Outfitters (Wyoming Deer and Antelope Hunts)
Thorne Bay Lodge (Hunting and Fishing in Alaska)

Jon,
I drew a S. Wagontire thinking it was a good choice. Now maybe not so sure it was worth the 11 points!! But I guess I get to chase lopes with a tag in pocket so thats a good thing.

Hey Rich,

I am sorry but I would not be any help in that area however you sure have picked a unit with one of the best antelope population. You should do very well. Good luck and hope to see a monster posted here on MM of you and your antelope. Talk to you soon.

God Bless and see you in the outdoors,

Jon and Stacy Ball
1-877-347-4662
www.JonsOutdoors.com
Which is
Gimme A Go Fishing Adventures (Columbia River Sturgeon & Salmon)
JS Outfitters (Wyoming Deer and Antelope Hunts)
Thorne Bay Lodge (Hunting & Fishing Alaska)

oregonmuley, congrats on drawing a tag. I'm certainly no expert on antelope hunting but I've hunted antelope in different states. Two in California, two in Nevada and one in Wyoming. So I've seen a lot of different types of country. I wouldn't be discouraged by not seeing a ton of animals. The best time to see them is early morning, or evening IMO. That's when it's cool and they are feeding. By mid- morning it seems they disappear. But in reality they've just found a place to settle down. I have seen them bed down in pretty thick trees and brush, but mostly they like to be able to see danger comming. Their hair is hollow and insulates very well against the heat.

If you don't see animals just keep moving until you do. Do lots of glassing as they blend in very well. Even though a big chunk of ground looks flat in reality most of it has low depressions or draws that they can hide in pretty easy. Once you start walking you notice it more. It doesn't take much of a low spot to hide an entire herd. The main thing is to keep a positive attitude and keep your eyes open. It sounds like you may not get this tag again for a long time so hunt hard and make the best of it.

And water really is a key spot to start looking.

Like I said, I'm no expert but I hope this helps!

Eel

Eel,
Thanks - I think I got a little spooked after my first scouting trip but it was early so from what everyone keeps telling me is don't worry they will be there. And yes water will be even more key this year, its real dry even for Oregon its dry this year.

Lost gave you great advice as did the others. Another issue is heat waves. You can see much better through your optics before
9:00 am. Good luck!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom