Owl pellets

Muleman1

Very Active Member
Anyone ever come across any we found 2 last year and this year turkey hunting pretty neat for the kids to dissect them
F0319172-E8AF-4BE8-9E06-95E2E36D87C8.jpeg
B5E22EA8-304A-430F-A6E3-56B6055D3C0D.jpeg

I find them fairly often.

At our state convention every year we have kid activities. One year we let kids disect owl pellets with a small mammal ID chart. Kids were able to identify owl prey by the skulls they removed. They really enjoyed it.

Last edited:
These are under a palm tree in my yard…..barn owls make good use of unpruned queen palms…

86DD2F18-2F9A-42B7-9419-03C8B9678746.jpeg

6FCB7AB7-BCA9-4E72-91AF-A824A81506C1.jpeg

I found a dead Great Horned Owl when I was a kid (it died of lead poisoning). I cut the legs off and preserved the feet and claws. Very wicked looking sitting on a book shelf.

I found a dead Great Horned Owl when I was a kid (it died of lead poisoning). I cut the legs off and preserved the feet and claws. Very wicked looking sitting on a book shelf.
One year during the Buckmaster Classic in Alabama , I was deer hunting on a huge private estate. I had noted several feeding stations they had set up for the quail. They had put screens about 8" over them so hawks, etc. couldn't swoop down for the kill.

So one morning just after sunup, I was walking on a little two-track and noticed something flopping on the ground about 100 yds away. When I got there I found a great horned owl with its leg in a trap that was attached to a lone 5' tall wooden post. It was obviously an illegal pole set -- trap on the top of the pole where some unsuspecting big bird of prey stops for a rest or to survey the surrounding area & gets snagged.

Whenever I tried to get near the owl it spread its wings & tried to nip me. So I took off my jacket, tossed it over the bird & grabbed it. I was able to depress the trap trigger with my foot & pull the owl's leg free. When I removed my jacket, the bird just stood there glaring at me with those big-ass eyes. About 10 mins. went by before it waddled off a bit & then took off, never to be seen again.

I left the unset trap on the ground where it could do no harm.

One year during the Buckmaster Classic in Alabama , I was deer hunting on a huge private estate. I had noted several feeding stations they had set up for the quail. They had put screens about 8" over them so hawks, etc. couldn't swoop down for the kill.

So one morning just after sunup, I was walking on a little two-track and noticed something flopping on the ground about 100 yds away. When I got there I found a great horned owl with its leg in a trap that was attached to a lone 5' tall wooden post. It was obviously an illegal pole set -- trap on the top of the pole where some unsuspecting big bird of prey stops for a rest or to survey the surrounding area & gets snagged.

Whenever I tried to get near the owl it spread its wings & tried to nip me. So I took off my jacket, tossed it over the bird & grabbed it. I was able to depress the trap trigger with my foot & pull the owl's leg free. When I removed my jacket, the bird just stood there glaring at me with those big-ass eyes. About 10 mins. went by before it waddled off a bit & then took off, never to be seen again.

I left the unset trap on the ground where it could do no harm.
Also when I was a teenager I had a few pigeons. I let them out during the day and they would come back in the evening to their roost. One day a Cooper's hawk grabbed one. I saw the whole thing. The hawk was feeding on my pigeon on the ground. I made a box trap real quick and scared the hawk away and set the trap. When the hawk came back I trapped it. I kept it in a pen for a few days and then let it go, hoping that it learned a lesson. I never saw it again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom