hornkiller

Long Time Member
Is ut the most poached state?
This seems ridiculous!
Screenshot_20240113_123135_Gallery.jpg

You're SLACKIN Niller!

I Thought You'd At Least Say:

SUB SLOT Size Fish!

They don’t define it in their press release, but I’m guessing any animal that was illegally taken qualifies.

And this way undersells the situation. Bessy took home more than 480 slot cutts out of the Berry by himself last year!

So not enough orange is poaching? Not cutting your dates on a tag? Breaking an antler restriction?

This is the problem with articles like this. Things get lumped together and it really doesn't inform us about real threats or how good or bad our wardens are doing.

Not wearing enough orange is not the taking of game. Therefore, I suspect not an act of poaching.
Why would you not cut the dates on your tag if you were not intending to use the tag again?

I Had A Warden PISSED At Me Several Years Ago Cuzz I Didn't Notch The M On The Tag!

There Wasn't Any Doe Hunts That Year In The Area Neither!

Shining His Badge Like No Other!

The Funniest Part Of The Whole Deal Is He Wanted To Feel The Barrel On My Rifle!

He Claimed Just 45 Seconds Before He run In To Us He Heard A Shot & Thought Maybe We Were Shooting Out The Window!

I Said:

I Must Be Way Quicker Than I Thought I Was If You Think I Shot This Buck Out The Truck Window & Gutted Him & Loaded Him In 45 Seconds!

Ya!

Just Doing His Job & I'm OK With It!

Last edited:
Not wearing enough orange is not the taking of game. Therefore, I suspect not an act of poaching.
Why would you not cut the dates on your tag if you were not intending to use the tag again?
Plenty of people don't know they have to cut the dates on a tag. Run into that all the time. Doesn't mean they are trying to kill more than one deer.

Plenty of people don't know they have to cut the dates on a tag. Run into that all the time. Doesn't mean they are trying to kill more than one deer.

Plenty of people don't know they have to cut the dates on a tag. "Run into that all the time." Doesn't mean they are trying to kill more deer.
It would make me nervous to hunt in a place where you run into hunters all the time that don't know they have to cut the dates on a tag. Occasionally I guess, but what other basic 101 things don't all these people know? Like maybe " Positively identify your target before you shoot." Just saying

what do they think all those spots on the tags are for.....ignorance is no excuse
That's not what iam talking about. I'm not saying they shouldn't get a ticket. I'm asking is a stupid protocol error "poaching".

The article doesn't say what "poaching" is. We have lots of different definitions of "poaching".

For all any of you know the DWR may consider any wildlife violation "poaching ". Therefore 795 is the total tickets handed out for an entire year. That would be pretty damn depressing if that's the case. I mean how many game wardens are there in the state and they can only right several hundred tickets between the whole lot of them??????

State agencies love speaking in vague terms and letting you derive your own conclusions. They can't be held responsible for your foolish assumptions and they don't have to answer for falling short again and again.

Utah is definitely the most lenient on poaching. Until there are more severe punishment it'll only get worse. Merely a slap on the wrist for those actually caught and prosecuted.
I 110% disagree. Utah is one of the fastest states to haul your butt into a court room to get a conviction and then pursue loss of hunting rights over an honest mistake that you turn yourself in for. I’ve seen it happen to a couple people I personally know. Complete accidents. Called it in. Resulted in hunting suspension. One over a turkey. One over a doe.

I have personally seen someone in the excitement notch his tag for the next day and try to correct it for the correct day and get checked and fined 250 dollars in Nevada.

I would notch my tag so that the piece of trash would stay connected, it was plain and simple that it was notched and the warden gave me trouble over it, so my poaching days are over.

I mean how many game wardens are there in the state and they can only right several hundred tickets between the whole lot of them????
Surprisingly few. I think Idaho has 30 for the whole state. Maybe 32? Poaching is about the easiest thing in the world to get away with. Fortunately, as mentioned earlier, some of the stupidest people are the ones doing it

I could kill a deer a weekend on the winter range where I coyote hunt and if I wasn’t an idiot about it never get caught, only time I’ve ever seen a warden where I go is when I called one to report a pile of prong horn i found

I'd like to know the distribution of public versus private lands. I have to think way more are caught on public land.

Several years ago I accompanied a friend on a hunt on some private ground. He had been given the tag by the landowner. We went through two locked gates away from any form of random access by any passers-by or DNR cops. There was an old farmhouse as well as a barn for processing. Any day someone could have shot a buck, driven to it on the property, butchered it at the barn, and gone home without anyone ever seeing they had killed an animal. A person could truly do that any time of year on such a property and nobody would ever know, unless they brag about it. I imagine that happens quite often.

So not enough orange is poaching? Not cutting your dates on a tag? Breaking an antler restriction?

This is the problem with articles like this. Things get lumped together and it really doesn't inform us about real threats or how good or bad our wardens are doing.

Poaching isn't a measurement of how good or bad our wardens are doing to start with

Meanwhile, Georgia says hold my beer. lol

The amount of poaching that goes on in GA is unreal.

Thermal and cans are the worst things to every happen to hunting.

Utah is definitely the most lenient on poaching. Until there are more severe punishment it'll only get worse. Merely a slap on the wrist for those actually caught and prosecuted.
Felonies for intentional taking of big game.
This would include uses of illegal tactics such as flying, baiting, camera's, etc, etc.

But then again.....I've been told I need to stop expecting people to agree with me, so it's perfectly OK to leave them as misdemeanor charges at best, but mostly sweep them under the rug and continue stealing.

Felonies for intentional taking of big game.
This would include uses of illegal tactics such as flying, baiting, camera's, etc, etc.

But then again.....I've been told I need to stop expecting people to agree with me, so it's perfectly OK to leave them as misdemeanor charges at best, but mostly sweep them under the rug and continue stealing.
All of that entirely depends upon your name and who you’ll crawl under a desk for. The DWR has shown all of Utah, in the span of 10 years, that if you are of significant value to them, you have no worries once the heat on social media dies down. If you’re a local prominent guide who brings in lots of money on auction tags, they will look the other way on a lot of highly illegal shiz. Stuff they would put a regular man in actual prison for. If you were, let’s say, a wildlife board member with a big ranch and got caught participating in illegal hunting activities, they would also sweep that under the rug and completely ignore it. Hell, they would still probably continue to give you land owner tags! Flying helicopters in wilderness areas hazing/scouting/harassing and/or packing out wildlife done by another big guide outfit? Again, no issues! Even their very own officers can shoot does on buck tags without any repercussions other than a little internal Pee-Pee slapping and “don’t do that again”. Sure, some forced resignations might take place, but that’s no big deal. Another good gig will come along soon enough… meanwhile, there are public executions for your average citizen accidentally shooting a 2x2 spike elk on a spike unit and then calling themselves in to report the accident!

It’s all who you know and who you’ll… well, you get it.

What do you base this off of? Could you share the data you accumulated to come to such a conclusion?

There certainly has been preferential treatment for certain people in the past. I hope that tide is changing these days.

Ask Ryan Hatch if being a prominent guide helped him get off. Or Larry Altimus. Kane County don’t mess around!

Also, while it appears Millard County let WL off for some misdemeanor trespassing charges, Carbon County is not letting him on the hook for the illegal felony actions there. So the tide seems to be changing these days. We’ll see if that continues to go in a positive direction with the prominent people that in the past seemed to be able to get a slap on the wrist at worst and a complete looking in the other direction at best (for them). There seems to be a new direction at the top with this, although not perfect.

There certainly has been preferential treatment for certain people in the past. I hope that tide is changing these days.

Ask Ryan Hatch if being a prominent guide helped him get off. Or Larry Altimus. Kane County don’t mess around!

Also, while it appears Millard County let WL off for some misdemeanor trespassing charges, Carbon County is not letting him on the hook for the illegal felony actions there. So the tide seems to be changing these days. We’ll see if that continues to go in a positive direction with the prominent people that in the past seemed to be able to get a slap on the wrist at worst and a complete looking in the other direction at best (for them). There seems to be a new direction at the top with this, although not perfect.

Are you saying WL was charged with trespass? I e heard in Texas that didn't happen

Ask Ryan Hatch if being a prominent guide helped him get off.
This last court room visit wasn’t his first rodeo. He’s been busted before. He should have had his azz nailed to the wall years ago.

You can only burn someone so many times before they fire back. Apparently some get more shots at it than others

I 110% disagree. Utah is one of the fastest states to haul your butt into a court room to get a conviction and then pursue loss of hunting rights over an honest mistake that you turn yourself in for. I’ve seen it happen to a couple people I personally know. Complete accidents. Called it in. Resulted in hunting suspension. One over a turkey. One over a doe.
Maybe they should've been drinking some Lemonaide and the DWR would've apologized to them instead?

The 11 bison or the moose has to be "minor" technicalities by valid tag holders I think. Maybe shooting from/across the road or vehicle, filling out the tag wrong, or possibly shooting a young bull on a cow tag. I can't fathom the level of bold stupidity it would take to full out poach one of those critters

Maybe they should've been drinking some Lemonaide and the DWR would've apologized to them instead?

The 11 bison or the moose has to be "minor" technicalities by valid tag holders I think. Maybe shooting from/across the road or vehicle, filling out the tag wrong, or possibly shooting a young bull on a cow tag. I can't fathom the level of bold stupidity it would take to full out poach one of those critters
I know of a bull moose illegally taken with the use of a trail cam and/or bait. Not sure if it’s this one in question, but there is one out there that’s a result of that.

The bison thing, I can’t imagine anyone just blatantly slamming one just for fun. I’m sure most, if not all are along the lines of your thinking. Young bulls on cow hunts, maybe some party hunting going on for grandpa that can’t hike in for a shot but had the points to draw, the smoke clears and there’s 2 dead on the ground for 1 shooter, outside of the hunt boundaries, (NP, Rez)…. But who knows. Utards do some pretty stupid things.

So Bux?

You Ever had Any Interactions With The DWR?

After Them Trail Cams You Gathered I'm Just Wondering?:D
Have I ever had any interaction with the DWR…. 🤣🤣 that’s the best post I’ve read today!

I wasn’t contacted over any trail cam issues this year. What is someone going to do? “Yes, hello officer? I’d like to report my illegal trail cam has been stolen!” 🤣 I’m sure there’s a few dumb enough to do it though!

This year the only interaction I had with any officers was I got checked several times while duck hunting, which was good to see! Haven’t seen much of that the last few years. I had my wife’s buck checked at their CWD check station. And I reported a couple poaching incidents I became aware of. All positive stops, officers were very professional, friendly, helpful and pleasant.

Last edited:
I think you mean plenty of Texans. I've never met a hunter in all my travels who didn't know to notch a tag, that's a ridiculous statement.
I run across photos on a Facebook all the time of the entire tag and receipt attached to the an animal without the tag removed or cut. There’s a lot more stupid utah hunters than I think most of us are aware of

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom