Police Chief poaching

HUNTINFORLIFE

Just seen this over the weekend. I dont know how this guy thought he was on public land this piece of property is very heavily posted. The thing i cant understand if he knew thought he was on public land why would he need to encourage his kid to shoot the deer. just a thought.
What does everyone else think.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12669627

The story sounds legit to me. What kind of father wouldn't let his son shoot at the deer first?

Doesn't excuse him for shooting on private property, or from shooting from the road.

Nocked N Loaded

>The story sounds legit to me.
> What kind of father
>wouldn't let his son shoot
>at the deer first?

+1.
He said he is trying to make things right. His bad for the screw up but he is taking accountability for his actions.

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

>The story sounds legit to me.
> What kind of father
>wouldn't let his son shoot
>at the deer first?

I understand that but why does the dad need to encourage him to shoot if he knew he was on public land then the kid would just shoot at the deer the wouldn't need to be any encouragement. I also just heard that the guy actually shoot at the deer and was caught by the owners son. and now he is trying to use his son as the excuse so he wont loss his career over it.

>...why does
>the dad need to encourage
>him to shoot if he
>knew he was on public
>land then the kid would
>just shoot at the deer
>the wouldn't need to be
>any encouragement...

Have you ever taken a kid (12-16 years old) hunting? Every time I've been with a young hunter, the first thing they say when they see a buck is "Should I shoot it?" The excitement and uncertainty of the situation often does require "encouragement" from a seasoned hunter, and they are often hesitant to pull the trigger, for a number of reasons. They may be unsure if they are within range, unsure if they should try to get closer, unsure if it is big enough to hang a tag on, etc. This is how I interpret the article's usage of "encouragement".

It may sound like I am sticking up for the guy's actions, but I'm not. Every hunter should know when they are on private property, and respect it. I do however believe that the only things he did wrong were to shoot from the road and to mistake private land for public. The article is pretty vague on all details, but I don't think that he is dragging his kid through the dirt to cover himself, or he wouldn't have mentioned "his encouragement" at all, but just said something along the lines of "The boy shot it, he's the one you want, not me!"

just to make things clear, it is NOT the hunter's responsability to make sure he is on private in utah. it is the land owner's responsibility to post his land if he doesnt want hunters hunting it, or people coming on to it. there was a land owner that i knew when i was a kid hunting with my dad that never posted his land so that hunters could hunt it. so, if it is not properly marked, cultivated or done according to the law, then you legally may hunt it. sounds like that wasn't the case here though. plus you CAN shoot from a road. you can NOT shoot from a HIGHWAY. you all really need to read the rules with out interpreting them.

no doubt he was in the wrong but who knows every one assumes he had to know he was on private but did he who knows the original article states they were skirting on and off private how many times have you been out hunting and realized you were on private? and no i am not making excuses for what he did wrong

it sounds to me like we have a case were a father and son were out hunting seen a buck dad got excited right off the side of the road and dad told his boy to shoot he shot later realizing they were on private and turned him self in for what ever intentions good or bad and the fish and game blew it out of proportion

From the looks of his picture we can clearly see the Grantsville Police Dept doesn't have any fitness requirements.

"My sickle has a boattail"
"hidden soles leave .308 holes"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom