Pronghorn question?

ricochet

I took these photos last weekend, how much more will these goat's horns grow before hunting season (late August)?
20070526295copy.jpg

20070527077copy.jpg

Antelope horn growth begins in mid september (time of max teste size and "acitivity") underneath the old horn. Horns are usually shed in Nov-Dec. Hard horn growth is complete by the beginning of June. Thus any antelope seen during the summer has already achieved full-size. Not much growth should occur as he is very near the end of the horn growth cycle. I am not sure of the rate of growth near the end of the growth cycle, however. He appears to be short under the prong and fairly heavy above the prong, which means he might grow a couple more inches if there is a growth spurt at the end of the cycle (I don't know if there is or not). Whatever the case he will be an average goat at best.

Heck of a hook and some nice "ivory" tips on him! There seems to be comparatively little info on antelope horn growth as opposed to deer and elk, etc...I have heard that they are pretty well finished out by this time of the year as they grow rapidly after casting their sheaths.

Antelope horn growth begins in September? I think that statement needs to be clarified before somebody loses an eye! ;)

HARD HORN begins forming in September. This means that the bucks horns begin hardening (or drying, if you will), not growing. A bucks new horns actually start growing when they begin shedding their old horns. This is usually shortly after the rut (in Arizona it's around late Oct and Nov.)

A buck's horns stop growing (or slowing to a crawl) when the rut enters full swing or slightly before.

There is no growth spurt at the end of the cycle. Any growth spurts that happen during the growing cycle are usually caused by a spurt in moisture and feed or weather.

A buck's horns grow from the base upward, so any more growth this year should be expected to only affect a buck's length and not his prongs or mass.

The reason I asked is I saw lots of bucks with low prongs. I'm used to being over there in July and seeing some nice bucks. I was just wondering what to expect this summer. Here's a side shot of the second buck, he'll look good to me if he grows some more length.
20070527080copy.jpg

Yeah, that buck has exceptional bottom mass. When you say "over there" where are you referring to? He looks like he'll grow another inch or so.

I live in western Oregon and have to sneak over the mountain (the Cascades) to get to 'lope country. Several of the bucks I photographed were unwilling participants in a coyote depredation study in their youth and still sport ear tags, so I can positively identify certain bucks and hopefully get some "after" pics when I go back in July.
20070526207copy.jpg

You take some pretty good photos! What kind of camera do you have?

I love "before and after" photos - be sure to get some! :)

Eli-
I shoot a Nikon D70s with a 80-400 VR (a setup suggested by TFinal). I've had it a year and still have lots to learn about its capabilities, but I'm enjoying every minute.
july061705.jpg

That is a sweet setup! And it's doing a fine job from what I see. Antelope are always a tough big game animal to get great photos of because in a lot of areas they just don't let you get very close.

My setup right now is a Canon XTi with a Sigma 50-500mm. So far, so good! The only problem I've had so far is when I saw a bear standing 30 yards off the highway just north of Morenci about 10 miles. I pulled out the camera and tried to snap some shots, but because of the brush around and the limited light (early morning) the camera wouldn't pick a spot to focus and never focused on anything. I'm not sure if that's a limitation of the Sigma or just of the available light with a 500mm lens. Either way, for everything else I've photographed it's worked great (SO much better than a fixed lens camera!)

Good luck this year getting close to these animals and taking pictures!

Hey Richochet

Is that the buck there towards the Southend of Everything kinda towards the meadow. If he is to the south then I know that buck or if he is up Around the 3 Mile Barrier as well. Get some pics of the Buck in the CZ he is a big one. He should be up there running around WIllow Creek area. There is another Great buck out in the flats. He is between Desert and Cat he is a phenomenal.

The kid last year killed Huey he went 84+ with about 8 inches broke off from the rut. He was one of the top 3 goats in the state last year. The other 2 are hidden and I am hoping to draw the tag where Toby is. He is an absolute stud.

HighDesert-
I didn't spend much time going south, the S. boundary road is closed until June 15, as are all the other passable trails (calling them roads is giving too much credit) heading that direction. The buck I posted two views of was bedded near Hilltop Res. which by the way is hardly a mudhole at this time. Its very dry already, unless we get some significant rains this summer, the goats will be really tied to whatever water is left. I did see a toad of a goat near the meadow, very massive, but he beat feet before I got the binocs down and the camera operating. No doubt there will be some shooters this year, if the lucky folks who draw can refrain from killing the dinks.
1971.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom