Question about leftover controlled hunt drawing

blacktailBC

If you have already drawn a controlled hunt permit in Idaho, are you allowed to put in for the leftover or 2nd chance tags?? I read the booklet on P.70, but it is not real clear. What is your guys' take?

blacktail

I was wondering the same thing about the moose, sheep and goat applicants. If I already applied for one of those am I out of luck in the leftover drawing as well? I read the regs and didn't see anything that was clear cut.

If you apply for moose, sheep or goat, you cannot apply for leftover deer, antelope, or elk tags.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-08 AT 08:55PM (MST)[p]As long as you didn't draw a sheep, goat or moose. I am pretty sure you are still allowed to apply for a 2nd chance tag for deer, elk or antelope. I think 2nd chance tags are up for grabs and no holds barred. Last year I applied for a goat tag and didn't draw, but I was allowed to apply for the 2nd chance on deer,etc..

I think I'm going to go ahead and apply. I went and read the regs again and still don't have a definitive answer in my head. I'll try to give ID F&G a call tomorrow and see what they say.

you drew for deer in riggins right? you can put in for the leftover tags as long as it isnt for the same animal you already drew.

>If you apply for moose, sheep
>or goat, you cannot apply
>for leftover deer, antelope, or
>elk tags.

WRONG. You can apply in the second drawing if you applied for a trophy species. It doesn't matter whether you drew your trophy species.

I agree with Madmoose, I think you are limited if you already drew a certain species. You can not have two tags for one animal. Residents can purchase a non-resident tag at non-resident fee's, but not until after this drawing is copleted.

Unfortunately, the sentence that addresses eligibility for unsuccessful moose, sheep, goat, applicants was deleted from the 2008 regulations book when is was reformatted/rewritten in an attempt to make it more user friendly. The wording from the 2007 regulations is correct: "Unsuccessful applicants for bighorn sheep, moose, or mountian goat controlled hunts ARE eligible to participate in 'leftover' and unclaimed controlled hunt drawing or first-come, first-served sales..." It's already on the list of changes for next year's book.

To address the question of applying for another tag for the same species already drawn, page 70, column 2, para 2 seems fairly clear. "Any person who's name is drawn in a controlled hunt for deer or elk is prohibited from hunting in any other hunt for the same species...except...controlled extra tag or depredation hunt." This assumes that the person actually purchased the permit/tag - the actual code wording is "any person who receives a permit" and you need to purchase to receive it.

So, you can apply for species for which you don't already possess a permit. And if your name was drawn is the first drawing, but you didn't purchase the permit, you can reapply for that species in the second drawing.

Hope that helps clarify and sorry for the omission in the regs book.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

I am having a hard time applying online for the 2nd controlled hunt drawing for some reason.
I go to the online licensing button and have selected "leftover controlled hunts" and when I enter the hunt number from the list of 2nd hunts it says there are no leftovers in this hunt unit.
I have also tried selecting controlled hunt but I end up caught in a loop of some sort. What am I doing wrong?

Tom,
Thanks for clearing that up. The confusion came from the wording I guess. It says you can get a controlled extra tag.....I guess the 2nd drawing tags are "leftover" tags?

blacktail

Right. Extra tags refers specifically to "X" tags - these are doe and cow tags in a few units that allow a hunter to take obtain a second or "extra" animal of that species. Most X tags occur in areas with large amounts of private land and/or agricultural damage where it has been difficult to obtain enough harvest to control populations (because not enough hunters want to give up their buck or bull opportunity to harvest a female animal.

Second draw is for permits/hunts that were either undersubscribed during first draw (leftover) or unclaimed (not purchased by the 1 Aug deadline).

How about a little straw poll: An alternative method for distributing these unclaimed permits would be to add an appropriate number of permits to the allocation of the first draw. The appropriate number can be calculated from the previous history of numbers of people who fail to purchase permits (like a 3-year average). The extra permits would typically amount to 1-5% of the total permits. For example, in a hunt with 100 permits, you might allocate 102 permits, knowing that, on average, 100 permits would actually be purchased. The advantage is being able to do away with the second draw. Disadvantages are people who put in for moose, sheep, and goat would not have an opportunity for a second draw for deer, elk, or pronghorn. Oregon started running their draw this way several years ago. What do Idaho hunters think?

Tom Keegan

Not sure. I forwarded your message to licensing in Boise.\

Tom Keegan

For on-line 2nd drawing click on "controlled hunt application" first data entry page, NOT "controlled hutn leftovers." (Leftovers willnot be available until after the 2nd drawing.) On next page, enter a controlled hunt number, click confirm. Next page, enter complete license number with NO dashes. Should work.

Tom Keegan

Keep the leftover drawing the way it is. It gives a little more money to the state and everybody a another chance at a tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom