Rarest Animal Sightings

LuckyShot

With the thread and the news about a wlid Jaguar being captured in AZ, I was wanting to know what you all think would be the rarest, most difficult animal too see in the wild. Or, what is the rarest animal you have actually seen in the wild? Lets hear!!! And no bigfoot references please!!!!!

With the thread and the news about a wlid Jaguar being captured in AZ, I was wanting to know what you all think would be the rarest, most difficult animal too see in the wild. Or, what is the rarest animal you have actually seen in the wild? Lets hear!!! And no bigfoot references please!!!!!

Wolverine in Oregon Wilderness. 12 yards bouncing down a log right at me. Video cam in backpack. Last time video was ever tucked away. I now carry my video cam on my backpack hip strap 100% of the time. Scared at first and then it was amazement. Wish I had a could a would a shoulda.

Great post.

HK

Wolverine in Oregon Wilderness. 12 yards bouncing down a log right at me. Video cam in backpack. Last time video was ever tucked away. I now carry my video cam on my backpack hip strap 100% of the time. Scared at first and then it was amazement. Wish I had a could a would a shoulda.

Great post.

HK

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-09 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]I am still after many years searching, looking and tracking the snipe. A-lot have tried but i swear I will be the first to get it.

I never give up.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-09 AT 11:13PM (MST)[p]I am still after many years searching, looking and tracking the snipe. A-lot have tried but i swear I will be the first to get it.

I never give up.

A bull elk under 400" in utah!

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

I HAD A BLACK WOLF (IN IDAHO,1993) WALKING DOWN THE SAME LOG THAT I WAS SITTING ON, HE GOT 10 OR 12 FEET AWAY WHEN I YELLED AT HIM. HE JUMPED OFF & VANISHED....PRETTY COOL....YD.

I HAD A BLACK WOLF (IN IDAHO,1993) WALKING DOWN THE SAME LOG THAT I WAS SITTING ON, HE GOT 10 OR 12 FEET AWAY WHEN I YELLED AT HIM. HE JUMPED OFF & VANISHED....PRETTY COOL....YD.

Can we expand the topic a little? Sometimes there are stories of animals out-of-environment or somewhere you'd least expect them. I remember an article this past summer of a wolverine photographed in the Sierras, and the NDOW had to remove a black bear from someone's yard in Yerington, NV. I didn't have my camera prepared one day last fall when I encountered 3 mature buck deer, two does, two mature bull elk and a cow elk all travelling somewhere in a group together- I'm still regretting getting that on video. Almost ten years ago in Elko County, I watched a coyote breaking trail for 6 doe deer that were crossing a slope in brisket-deep snow. I also saw a group of 6 horses and four cow elk single-filing up a game trail. Usually when I've told this around camp or to friends they think I'm really spinning a tall tale.And here's a final one for the skeptics. I was travelling through the pinon juniper woodland about ten years ago east of Pioche, NV (1999), when I encountered an emu!! I later learned that a rancher had imported a few that had escaped; most people had figured they never made it very long in the area, with the harsh winters and the predators. How's an emu fit in as a rare sighting??!!

Can we expand the topic a little? Sometimes there are stories of animals out-of-environment or somewhere you'd least expect them. I remember an article this past summer of a wolverine photographed in the Sierras, and the NDOW had to remove a black bear from someone's yard in Yerington, NV. I didn't have my camera prepared one day last fall when I encountered 3 mature buck deer, two does, two mature bull elk and a cow elk all travelling somewhere in a group together- I'm still regretting getting that on video. Almost ten years ago in Elko County, I watched a coyote breaking trail for 6 doe deer that were crossing a slope in brisket-deep snow. I also saw a group of 6 horses and four cow elk single-filing up a game trail. Usually when I've told this around camp or to friends they think I'm really spinning a tall tale.And here's a final one for the skeptics. I was travelling through the pinon juniper woodland about ten years ago east of Pioche, NV (1999), when I encountered an emu!! I later learned that a rancher had imported a few that had escaped; most people had figured they never made it very long in the area, with the harsh winters and the predators. How's an emu fit in as a rare sighting??!!

I walked up on a grizzly in the Bob Marshall Wliderness when I was on a horse. As soon as I saw and smelled the dead elk, I knew. At that moment I heard him/her snapping teeth. I looked up about eye level on a small rise, not more than 30 feet was the bear. Legs stiff and pounding up and down. I thought I'd had it.
I slowly reigned the horse across the creek and got the hell out of there. Scared the chit out of me.

Tom
A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking.

I walked up on a grizzly in the Bob Marshall Wliderness when I was on a horse. As soon as I saw and smelled the dead elk, I knew. At that moment I heard him/her snapping teeth. I looked up about eye level on a small rise, not more than 30 feet was the bear. Legs stiff and pounding up and down. I thought I'd had it.
I slowly reigned the horse across the creek and got the hell out of there. Scared the chit out of me.

Tom

while bowhunting years ago here in idaho i had a cow elk scrambling up hill 20 yards away as a rut crazed bull moose was hot on her trail, grunting,licking his lips, and drooling profusely.

i was drawn back when the cow came into view but i could here all the commotion behind here as she was trying to get away, so i figured i would stick what was chasing her.... wrong..
i wonder what situation i would have been in if i had shot her and she dropped...my guess ...a bad one.:)

while bowhunting years ago here in idaho i had a cow elk scrambling up hill 20 yards away as a rut crazed bull moose was hot on her trail, grunting,licking his lips, and drooling profusely.

i was drawn back when the cow came into view but i could here all the commotion behind here as she was trying to get away, so i figured i would stick what was chasing her.... wrong..
i wonder what situation i would have been in if i had shot her and she dropped...my guess ...a bad one.:)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-09 AT 05:55AM (MST)[p]

I've seen wolves, lynx, wolverine, & grizz in Alaska.
A black fisher in Colorado.
I've seen five mountain lions in California.

HH

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-09 AT 05:55AM (MST)[p]

I've seen wolves, lynx, wolverine, & grizz in Alaska.
A black fisher in Colorado.
I've seen five mountain lions in California.

HH

Been a few years ago, central coast cali. deer hunting in some rough crap glassing acros a canyon and a Zebra walked into view of the Bino's, that was a hard one too exlain at camp it was on the back side of the Hearst Ranch...

Been a few years ago, central coast cali. deer hunting in some rough crap glassing acros a canyon and a Zebra walked into view of the Bino's, that was a hard one too exlain at camp it was on the back side of the Hearst Ranch...

A mature mule deer buck on the Fishlake unit in Utah.I seen 1 about 10yrs.ago.(ROD)

A mature mule deer buck on the Fishlake unit in Utah.I seen 1 about 10yrs.ago.(ROD)

I seen three whooping cranes in Wyoming about 15 years ago. And this summer seen three trumpeter swans on the Big Horn River near the Wind River canyon.

I seen three whooping cranes in Wyoming about 15 years ago. And this summer seen three trumpeter swans on the Big Horn River near the Wind River canyon.

I saw a woman once that didn't #####, whine, or scold me. But it was just once and it was a long time ago.

I saw a woman once that didn't #####, whine, or scold me. But it was just once and it was a long time ago.

For me, the southern mountain caribou has been my snuffelupagus (Big Bird's imaginary friend). I've always been 2 seconds too late and have seen steaming piles of scat and fresh tracks. The mountain caribou is extremely endangered in the southern half of the province. On the verge of extinction actually. Where I live we have a small herd that range over a huge huge area, much of which is untouched wilderness. I have been fortunate enough to find their sheds over the years though.
Nov8a002a.jpg

July27119a.jpg

July27122a.jpg

There are various other animals that are ellusive around here that very few people see. Working in the bush has allowed me to see them on several occasions. I run into a few wolverines and fishers every year. On average I see about 5 grizzlies a year. Grizz are Limited Entry here, and I'm hoping next week I'll get notice that I'll be hunting grizz come April. Wolves are also a rare critter to get a glimpse of, but I manage to see an average of 5 a year. With no baglimit and open seasons for almost 11 months a year, wolves have still been pretty tuff for me to kill though. Having missed many, I've only been able to kill one.
The rarest critter I've ever seen was a mountain beaver. No, not the Canadian beaver which is very common. The mountain beaver is a marmot-like critter. I had no idea what it was that I saw until a buddy suggested I saw a mountain beaver. I thought he was full of crap as I had never even heard of a mountain beaver before. When I looked it up, it indeed was the critter I saw.

As for crazy sightings, last year there was a pet wallaby that got loose in the Kamloops area just south of me. For months he roamed the hills and every time there was a sighting, it made the news. The last sighting reported that there were a couple coyotes observed tracking him. Probably became coyote bait.

For me, the southern mountain caribou has been my snuffelupagus (Big Bird's imaginary friend). I've always been 2 seconds too late and have seen steaming piles of scat and fresh tracks. The mountain caribou is extremely endangered in the southern half of the province. On the verge of extinction actually. Where I live we have a small herd that range over a huge huge area, much of which is untouched wilderness. I have been fortunate enough to find their sheds over the years though.
Nov8a002a.jpg

July27119a.jpg

July27122a.jpg

There are various other animals that are ellusive around here that very few people see. Working in the bush has allowed me to see them on several occasions. I run into a few wolverines and fishers every year. On average I see about 5 grizzlies a year. Grizz are Limited Entry here, and I'm hoping next week I'll get notice that I'll be hunting grizz come April. Wolves are also a rare critter to get a glimpse of, but I manage to see an average of 5 a year. With no baglimit and open seasons for almost 11 months a year, wolves have still been pretty tuff for me to kill though. Having missed many, I've only been able to kill one.
The rarest critter I've ever seen was a mountain beaver. No, not the Canadian beaver which is very common. The mountain beaver is a marmot-like critter. I had no idea what it was that I saw until a buddy suggested I saw a mountain beaver. I thought he was full of crap as I had never even heard of a mountain beaver before. When I looked it up, it indeed was the critter I saw.

As for crazy sightings, last year there was a pet wallaby that got loose in the Kamloops area just south of me. For months he roamed the hills and every time there was a sighting, it made the news. The last sighting reported that there were a couple coyotes observed tracking him. Probably became coyote bait.

Let's just stick with what the "officials" are saying and go with that- "There aren't any wolves in Utah" ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Let's just stick with what the "officials" are saying and go with that- "There aren't any wolves in Utah" ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I saw a panther when I was living in Florida, my friend and I were in our big treestand, and it walked by at 20 yards. We called fish and game to report it, and they said there hasn't been a confirmed sighting north of Orlando in over 15 years, and that was 8 years ago, so I feel very fortunate to have seen one!

I saw a panther when I was living in Florida, my friend and I were in our big treestand, and it walked by at 20 yards. We called fish and game to report it, and they said there hasn't been a confirmed sighting north of Orlando in over 15 years, and that was 8 years ago, so I feel very fortunate to have seen one!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-09 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]Here's a pic I thought you guys would enjoy that goes along with this thread. We were bear hunting in AZ two years ago when we came across this critter. Coudn't believe how much it stood out in the barren and rugged landscape of Arizona. As you can see from the pic, it looks almost fake. I showed the pic to a guy that worked at the AZ fish and game and he said it was a "Painted Grasshopper" and that he had worked in the field for many years and had never seen one live in the wild. Pretty cool bug!
49a0449a12e081a6.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-09 AT 11:19AM (MST)[p]Here's a pic I thought you guys would enjoy that goes along with this thread. We were bear hunting in AZ two years ago when we came across this critter. Coudn't believe how much it stood out in the barren and rugged landscape of Arizona. As you can see from the pic, it looks almost fake. I showed the pic to a guy that worked at the AZ fish and game and he said it was a "Painted Grasshopper" and that he had worked in the field for many years and had never seen one live in the wild. Pretty cool bug!
49a0449a12e081a6.jpg

WOW, I'm impressed with that one Lucky....that is really cool....and I HATE grasshoppers.

I saw a pair of Santa Cruz dirtbaggers breeding once in the desert...prolly shouldn't post the pics..

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

WOW, I'm impressed with that one Lucky....that is really cool....and I HATE grasshoppers.

I saw a pair of Santa Cruz dirtbaggers breeding once in the desert...prolly shouldn't post the pics..

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Years ago when i was growing up in California,There was a $10,000 reward for a great big green Parrot that was loose in our area.It was flying around with a flock of crows if you can believe it.I actually saw it twice.Boy i thought i might get RICH until others found out.The cops eventually showed up because people were running around in neighbors back yards and every thing.It was a CIRCUS that day....I dont know if any one ever caught it. but i know it wasnt caught around my area.

Years ago when i was growing up in California,There was a $10,000 reward for a great big green Parrot that was loose in our area.It was flying around with a flock of crows if you can believe it.I actually saw it twice.Boy i thought i might get RICH until others found out.The cops eventually showed up because people were running around in neighbors back yards and every thing.It was a CIRCUS that day....I dont know if any one ever caught it. but i know it wasnt caught around my area.

I saw a orange and green parakeet with a flock of Blackbirds.
A wolf in Wyoming last year and several Mountain lions in Ca over the years,
a Ringtail in SE Ut.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I saw a orange and green parakeet with a flock of Blackbirds.
A wolf in Wyoming last year and several Mountain lions in Ca over the years,
a Ringtail in SE Ut.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

> Years ago when
>i was growing up in
>California,There was a $10,000 reward
>for a great big green
>Parrot that was loose in
>our area.It was flying around
>with a flock of crows
>if you can believe it.I
>actually saw it twice.Boy i
>thought i might get RICH
>until others found out.The cops
>eventually showed up because people
>were running around in neighbors
>back yards and every thing.It
>was a CIRCUS that day....I
>dont know if any one
>ever caught it. but i
>know it wasnt caught around
>my area.

LOL...where was that fullcry??

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

> Years ago when
>i was growing up in
>California,There was a $10,000 reward
>for a great big green
>Parrot that was loose in
>our area.It was flying around
>with a flock of crows
>if you can believe it.I
>actually saw it twice.Boy i
>thought i might get RICH
>until others found out.The cops
>eventually showed up because people
>were running around in neighbors
>back yards and every thing.It
>was a CIRCUS that day....I
>dont know if any one
>ever caught it. but i
>know it wasnt caught around
>my area.

LOL...where was that fullcry??

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I saw a wild turkey in the same unit that Bobcat hunts in. It was so rare that I thought it was a DoDo bird. Once many years ago I saw a bull elk in CO that wasn't being followed by a half dozen hunters with hoochie mamma calls.

I saw a wild turkey in the same unit that Bobcat hunts in. It was so rare that I thought it was a DoDo bird. Once many years ago I saw a bull elk in CO that wasn't being followed by a half dozen hunters with hoochie mamma calls.

D13 that was in Santa Barbara.I came close to getting it.I almost got it in the garage.It flew in and flew out a few seconds later. if i was aggresive i might have cornered it or done somthing.I was about ten, I think
It was all over the news and i almost had it...

D13 that was in Santa Barbara.I came close to getting it.I almost got it in the garage.It flew in and flew out a few seconds later. if i was aggresive i might have cornered it or done somthing.I was about ten, I think
It was all over the news and i almost had it...

We once saw a hen peacock with a bunch of hen turkeys in the Dolores Triangle.

The coolest, rarest thing I've seen is watching a golden eagle slam a rabbit into the ground about 20 feet from me. Fur flyin' everywhere!

We once saw a hen peacock with a bunch of hen turkeys in the Dolores Triangle.

The coolest, rarest thing I've seen is watching a golden eagle slam a rabbit into the ground about 20 feet from me. Fur flyin' everywhere!

My mom saw a wolverine in the High Uintahs back in the early 80's - no one believed her. Then about 4 months later, one was hit by a car near Dinosaur, CO.

I have seen pine marten, (very elusive), native golden trout (only in a couple of lakes and streams in the High Uintahs), manatee (down in the canals in Miami) Preregrine Falcon, Condor (in Utah - just north of the AZ border), and though I haven't seen one myself, my brother worked on the re-introduction of the Black Footed Ferret, and got to track them for a few months. Talk about elusive nocturnal little buggers! No wonder they were though to be extinct.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

My mom saw a wolverine in the High Uintahs back in the early 80's - no one believed her. Then about 4 months later, one was hit by a car near Dinosaur, CO.

I have seen pine marten, (very elusive), native golden trout (only in a couple of lakes and streams in the High Uintahs), manatee (down in the canals in Miami) Preregrine Falcon, Condor (in Utah - just north of the AZ border), and though I haven't seen one myself, my brother worked on the re-introduction of the Black Footed Ferret, and got to track them for a few months. Talk about elusive nocturnal little buggers! No wonder they were though to be extinct.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

I have seen desert tourtoises on 3 different occassions. When I tell people, they seemed really surprised like I saw a big foot. They are endangered but I have seen 3 so I don't know how endangered they actually are.

I have seen desert tourtoises on 3 different occassions. When I tell people, they seemed really surprised like I saw a big foot. They are endangered but I have seen 3 so I don't know how endangered they actually are.

Okay, I'm bit. This post got the best of me because there is nothing I love more than to be the first truck up the mountain just prior to sun up and reading these posts has my blood up. You?ve got my memory banks running so I'll give this a go, for what it's worth.

For an old boy living in Utah jumping a wolverine out on the tundra north of Great Slave Lake, NWT was a real heart stopper for me.

Spooking a whitetail doe, running with a bunch of muley does clear down in Annabella, Utah was another stunner I wasn?t expecting. (Sorry boys, it was 8 or 10 years ago so I can't show her to you but there were four of us that saw the old white tail a waving.) She was right next to the bridge that crosses the river next to the DWR property less than a mile north from Annabella.

Watching a huge black wasp drag a tarantula up the back of my sleeping buddy in an ground blind, archery hunting elk in New Mexico was pretty dang-gone cool too. At least I thought so, Kimball didn't see the humor in it a?tall.

Crawling into a lek of sage grouse doing their thing out on Parker Mountain is a thrill, I do it every spring, at least once. I can usually get it done and still get back to church on time.

The following weren't unusual animals but more common animals I've encountered doing what they do. The unusual part was that I got to see them.

Nearly 20 years back while slipping up a rocky trail on the Long Ridges above Glenwood a red tail come down and snatched a cotton tail off the trail right out in from of me. Even after all these years I can still see that rabbit a kicking an squirming and that old hawk trying to stay air born with lunch.

While dropping a fly above a beaver dam on Seven Mile Creek a beaver floated to the surface not two inches from the end of my boot. Naturally, I instinctively bent over to lift it out of the water by the tail. Big, big mistake, enough said. I've always said, I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.

Watching a golden eagle make numerous attempts at driving a yearling buck over a cliff out on White Pine west of Aurora was something I heard others say they'd seen but I never expected it to play out for me.

I came around a turn in the road on Mormon Peak west of Koosharem Reservoir one evening and nearly got run over by a spotted fawn, right on its tail was a bobcat and bringing the rear was a big old coyote. They were all in a terrible hurry. The sage brush was too tall or I'd be able to tell you how that one culminated.

One of the funniest moments I've encountered was hunting spike elk on Boobe Hole Mountain back when we had a few older bucks around. I never could creep though the quakes without busting branches, kicking rocks and just generally scaring the hail out of any thing with in 400 yards, and that's up wind. I mean I just can't be quiet, do you know what I mean? Anyway, I get this familiar pressure and decided it would probably be in my best interest to stop for a few minutes and let the otherwise peaceful forest relax after hearing the crashing and banging I'd been making as I worked my way down the ridge. I stop and take care of the water pressure problem I was having and just stood there enjoying the tranquility and majesty of the mountain. After about ten minutes I decided I'd see if I could get on down the ridge without sounding like a Boeing 747. I took one step and not fifteen feet in front me a big muley buck breaks cover and I mean he was gather?en them up and a putt?en down. You know, those thirty feet lunges those big boys do when they get their adrenalin up. We?re in an aspen grove with five inch quakes growing about 10 feet apart. After about three big bounds this old boy (I would guess he was somewhere between 24 and 28 inches wide.) decides he better have a look back to see what I'm doing. As he turns his head to look over his shoulder at me (remember, he's got her up to speed now) his right antler hooks a quaky. Well????.right quick, he's facing the other direction with all four feet above his head. Of course, I'm feeling water pressure again cause he scared the lights out of me when he busted cover but I felt much better when the old rascal comes to a sudden and irreverent stop. I mean it was Mock 4 and then nothing???.just, stop! So much for tranquility and majesty. Between him trying to get on his way again and my trying to gather my composure, well needless to say???not elk that day. I've often wondered how he got away without breaking his neck. The last I saw of him, he was staggering and stumbling his way down the mountain, busting branches and snapping twigs. I felt a lot better knowing I wasn?t the only clatter as- on the mountain.

One more and I better hang it up for today. Besides my writing is getting a little pasty, even for me.

My sons and I are driving a section of highway between Sage and Kemmer, Wyoming in late November. We like to take that drive Thanksgiving morning when everyone else is watching football games on the tube and our sweethearts are frying brown sugared sweet potatoes for the big feast later in the day. A few bucks rut along the highway there and it's a quick and easy way to burn a few hours before over-indulging. On this trip, it's just starting to flurry a little snow and the deer aren't feeling romantic. Dad (that's me) is getting bored and whining about, ?no deer? again. Somewhere along the north side of the road there's a short section of gray dirt cliffs that face the highway. There are a half dozen little ridges that come out, away from the main cliff face. The best way I can describe these ridges is to say they are like the little ridges that run out of the cliff faces at Bryce Canyon, the ones like little towers and knobs on the top. They are kind of like a small pinnacles rising 3 or 4 feet above the narrow ridge leading out to them. But for the ridge coming out they would be 30 feet off the ground. The only way out to the top of that little pinnacle is down the narrow ridge and then, nothing but air for 340 degrees.

Anyway, here we come down the highway and one of the boys catches a flash on the top of the cliff, through the falling snow. I lock up the truck when he asks me to pull over, RIGHT NOW! Coming across the top of the cliff are three bobcats in full tilt. Right on their hinnies, coming from three different directions, are five (if I recall correctly) coyotes. Before we can blink twice those bobcats each take a different ridge and park their butts on top of the pinnacle. The top of the pinnacles look to be about 2 feet square, not much bigger than the cat. No sooner than those cats get spun around, facing the ridge, the dogs hit the cliff and start out on the ridge toward the cats. All of a sudden all the dogs come to a screeching halt. The cats just set down, facing the coyotes. We watch for a few minutes and marvel at the wonder of the moment. Those cats knew exactly what they were doing. My guess is they'd been there and done that. Those dogs had played this game before as well. They would not go out to the end of that ridge nor get any closer than 4 or 5 feet from the cats. Only one coyote at a time could get out to the end of the ridge and it was 30 feet down in every direct accept for the little top where the cat was setting. The cats knew the dogs wouldn't come out and the dogs knew the cats wouldn't move. This all took place in about 30 seconds. Soon enough the coyotes noticed us. (Maybe they heard the clatters as the boys were thumping around trying to find a rifle.) At any rate, after about 60 seconds the coyotes pulled back and high tailed it over the cliff. We watched the bobcats for a few minutes, they were perfectly content to set and watch us as long as we stayed. They knew no was going to mess with them on that perch.

Somewhere in my pile of video I think I still have the last half of that moment in time recorded. Poor quality, as I recall.

Be that has it may, I would wet my britches, no doubt, if I could see a jaguar in the wild. I've seen a ton of North American wildlife but a jaguar, man! I can't image anything what would top that.

You know that grasshopper was pretty dang cool too. Thanks a bunch for sharing that boss.

Reading his thread has been a hoot. Looking forward to hearing from some others.

DC

Okay, I'm bit. This post got the best of me because there is nothing I love more than to be the first truck up the mountain just prior to sun up and reading these posts has my blood up. You?ve got my memory banks running so I'll give this a go, for what it's worth.

For an old boy living in Utah jumping a wolverine out on the tundra north of Great Slave Lake, NWT was a real heart stopper for me.

Spooking a whitetail doe, running with a bunch of muley does clear down in Annabella, Utah was another stunner I wasn?t expecting. (Sorry boys, it was 8 or 10 years ago so I can't show her to you but there were four of us that saw the old white tail a waving.) She was right next to the bridge that crosses the river next to the DWR property less than a mile north from Annabella.

Watching a huge black wasp drag a tarantula up the back of my sleeping buddy in an ground blind, archery hunting elk in New Mexico was pretty dang-gone cool too. At least I thought so, Kimball didn't see the humor in it a?tall.

Crawling into a lek of sage grouse doing their thing out on Parker Mountain is a thrill, I do it every spring, at least once. I can usually get it done and still get back to church on time.

The following weren't unusual animals but more common animals I've encountered doing what they do. The unusual part was that I got to see them.

Nearly 20 years back while slipping up a rocky trail on the Long Ridges above Glenwood a red tail come down and snatched a cotton tail off the trail right out in from of me. Even after all these years I can still see that rabbit a kicking an squirming and that old hawk trying to stay air born with lunch.

While dropping a fly above a beaver dam on Seven Mile Creek a beaver floated to the surface not two inches from the end of my boot. Naturally, I instinctively bent over to lift it out of the water by the tail. Big, big mistake, enough said. I've always said, I'm not the sharpest knife in the kitchen.

Watching a golden eagle make numerous attempts at driving a yearling buck over a cliff out on White Pine west of Aurora was something I heard others say they'd seen but I never expected it to play out for me.

I came around a turn in the road on Mormon Peak west of Koosharem Reservoir one evening and nearly got run over by a spotted fawn, right on its tail was a bobcat and bringing the rear was a big old coyote. They were all in a terrible hurry. The sage brush was too tall or I'd be able to tell you how that one culminated.

One of the funniest moments I've encountered was hunting spike elk on Boobe Hole Mountain back when we had a few older bucks around. I never could creep though the quakes without busting branches, kicking rocks and just generally scaring the hail out of any thing with in 400 yards, and that's up wind. I mean I just can't be quiet, do you know what I mean? Anyway, I get this familiar pressure and decided it would probably be in my best interest to stop for a few minutes and let the otherwise peaceful forest relax after hearing the crashing and banging I'd been making as I worked my way down the ridge. I stop and take care of the water pressure problem I was having and just stood there enjoying the tranquility and majesty of the mountain. After about ten minutes I decided I'd see if I could get on down the ridge without sounding like a Boeing 747. I took one step and not fifteen feet in front me a big muley buck breaks cover and I mean he was gather?en them up and a putt?en down. You know, those thirty feet lunges those big boys do when they get their adrenalin up. We?re in an aspen grove with five inch quakes growing about 10 feet apart. After about three big bounds this old boy (I would guess he was somewhere between 24 and 28 inches wide.) decides he better have a look back to see what I'm doing. As he turns his head to look over his shoulder at me (remember, he's got her up to speed now) his right antler hooks a quaky. Well????.right quick, he's facing the other direction with all four feet above his head. Of course, I'm feeling water pressure again cause he scared the lights out of me when he busted cover but I felt much better when the old rascal comes to a sudden and irreverent stop. I mean it was Mock 4 and then nothing???.just, stop! So much for tranquility and majesty. Between him trying to get on his way again and my trying to gather my composure, well needless to say???not elk that day. I've often wondered how he got away without breaking his neck. The last I saw of him, he was staggering and stumbling his way down the mountain, busting branches and snapping twigs. I felt a lot better knowing I wasn?t the only clatter as- on the mountain.

One more and I better hang it up for today. Besides my writing is getting a little pasty, even for me.

My sons and I are driving a section of highway between Sage and Kemmer, Wyoming in late November. We like to take that drive Thanksgiving morning when everyone else is watching football games on the tube and our sweethearts are frying brown sugared sweet potatoes for the big feast later in the day. A few bucks rut along the highway there and it's a quick and easy way to burn a few hours before over-indulging. On this trip, it's just starting to flurry a little snow and the deer aren't feeling romantic. Dad (that's me) is getting bored and whining about, ?no deer? again. Somewhere along the north side of the road there's a short section of gray dirt cliffs that face the highway. There are a half dozen little ridges that come out, away from the main cliff face. The best way I can describe these ridges is to say they are like the little ridges that run out of the cliff faces at Bryce Canyon, the ones like little towers and knobs on the top. They are kind of like a small pinnacles rising 3 or 4 feet above the narrow ridge leading out to them. But for the ridge coming out they would be 30 feet off the ground. The only way out to the top of that little pinnacle is down the narrow ridge and then, nothing but air for 340 degrees.

Anyway, here we come down the highway and one of the boys catches a flash on the top of the cliff, through the falling snow. I lock up the truck when he asks me to pull over, RIGHT NOW! Coming across the top of the cliff are three bobcats in full tilt. Right on their hinnies, coming from three different directions, are five (if I recall correctly) coyotes. Before we can blink twice those bobcats each take a different ridge and park their butts on top of the pinnacle. The top of the pinnacles look to be about 2 feet square, not much bigger than the cat. No sooner than those cats get spun around, facing the ridge, the dogs hit the cliff and start out on the ridge toward the cats. All of a sudden all the dogs come to a screeching halt. The cats just set down, facing the coyotes. We watch for a few minutes and marvel at the wonder of the moment. Those cats knew exactly what they were doing. My guess is they'd been there and done that. Those dogs had played this game before as well. They would not go out to the end of that ridge nor get any closer than 4 or 5 feet from the cats. Only one coyote at a time could get out to the end of the ridge and it was 30 feet down in every direct accept for the little top where the cat was setting. The cats knew the dogs wouldn't come out and the dogs knew the cats wouldn't move. This all took place in about 30 seconds. Soon enough the coyotes noticed us. (Maybe they heard the clatters as the boys were thumping around trying to find a rifle.) At any rate, after about 60 seconds the coyotes pulled back and high tailed it over the cliff. We watched the bobcats for a few minutes, they were perfectly content to set and watch us as long as we stayed. They knew no was going to mess with them on that perch.

Somewhere in my pile of video I think I still have the last half of that moment in time recorded. Poor quality, as I recall.

Be that has it may, I would wet my britches, no doubt, if I could see a jaguar in the wild. I've seen a ton of North American wildlife but a jaguar, man! I can't image anything what would top that.

You know that grasshopper was pretty dang cool too. Thanks a bunch for sharing that boss.

Reading his thread has been a hoot. Looking forward to hearing from some others.

DC

So, I am in the White Mountains in Eastern Ca. deer hunting.

It is about 6:30 and barely light. I feel the urge to "drop a duece", as they say nowadays.

I lean my rifle on this hollow log and use the upper half of the log to brace myself.

Just get my position set, checked my Carhart suspenders, to be sure I had clearance. Looked up into that hollow log and my face is like, 30" away from 2, VERY furred up bobcats, with no other way out of that log.........a hi mountain guzzler is not the most convenient place to "launder" your Carharts. I threw my underwear away.

My white azz doing backwards summersaults, slinging poo with every turn, was surely the "rarest animal sighting" those 2 bobcats ever saw.

So, I am in the White Mountains in Eastern Ca. deer hunting.

It is about 6:30 and barely light. I feel the urge to "drop a duece", as they say nowadays.

I lean my rifle on this hollow log and use the upper half of the log to brace myself.

Just get my position set, checked my Carhart suspenders, to be sure I had clearance. Looked up into that hollow log and my face is like, 30" away from 2, VERY furred up bobcats, with no other way out of that log.........a hi mountain guzzler is not the most convenient place to "launder" your Carharts. I threw my underwear away.

My white azz doing backwards summersaults, slinging poo with every turn, was surely the "rarest animal sighting" those 2 bobcats ever saw.

Dam Nickman, the visual, I just had. I dropped my cigarette in my lap and spilled my pop, laughing.

Tom

Dam Nickman, the visual, I just had. I dropped my cigarette in my lap and spilled my pop, laughing.

Tom

i was going to work in the woods early one morning and following a logging truck it hit a Ring-Tailed Cat. The only live or dead one I ever saw. I cut its tail off and still have it---that was 20 years ago.

i was going to work in the woods early one morning and following a logging truck it hit a Ring-Tailed Cat. The only live or dead one I ever saw. I cut its tail off and still have it---that was 20 years ago.

In 1998 I did an Ibex hunt in Mongolia. While driving into camp along a dry river bed I saw two snow Leopards. Pretty spectacular sight. My Mongolian guide at the was 54 and had never seen one in the wild before.

In 1998 I did an Ibex hunt in Mongolia. While driving into camp along a dry river bed I saw two snow Leopards. Pretty spectacular sight. My Mongolian guide at the was 54 and had never seen one in the wild before.

Nothing is rare or special....Ive seen it all and done it all.

-The right way, the Barta way.
70089824.jpg

Nothing is rare or special....Ive seen it all and done it all.

-The right way, the Barta way.
70089824.jpg

Albino Mule Deer in East Kaysville

In the mid 70's I used to see an Albino Mule Deer Doe in Webb Canyon in East Kaysville UT. I would hike the Canyon on a regular basis and the Deer was easy to spot... one year it had a white fawn but lost track of the white Muley's around 1983. I did get quite close to them on a few occasions and they did have bright pink eyes... kinda cool to see in Utah.

Destiny

Albino Mule Deer in East Kaysville

In the mid 70's I used to see an Albino Mule Deer Doe in Webb Canyon in East Kaysville UT. I would hike the Canyon on a regular basis and the Deer was easy to spot... one year it had a white fawn but lost track of the white Muley's around 1983. I did get quite close to them on a few occasions and they did have bright pink eyes... kinda cool to see in Utah.

Destiny

I don't post much. But back in 2001 I was working at the yellow pine ranch in Cuchara Colorado as a wrangler. I was staying in the bunkhouse and would usually see a least one bear a night. Plenty of bears around Cuchara. Anyway this one night I was watching this bear and saw something else crawling around its paws and climbing all over this bear. I had to take a second look because there were some kittens that were actually playing with bear. I usually had my video camera ready but as I pushed record and got maybe 1 minute of footage, the battery died. So all I could do was sit there and watch. Pretty cool thing to see. The bear played with pretty gently then left.

I don't post much. But back in 2001 I was working at the yellow pine ranch in Cuchara Colorado as a wrangler. I was staying in the bunkhouse and would usually see a least one bear a night. Plenty of bears around Cuchara. Anyway this one night I was watching this bear and saw something else crawling around its paws and climbing all over this bear. I had to take a second look because there were some kittens that were actually playing with bear. I usually had my video camera ready but as I pushed record and got maybe 1 minute of footage, the battery died. So all I could do was sit there and watch. Pretty cool thing to see. The bear played with pretty gently then left.

RE: Albino Mule Deer in East Kaysville

Some pretty cool stories. It is amazing what you see sometimes when you are out in the great outdoors. The creatures sometimes may not be rare, but what you observe them doing can be pretty darn special.

Around here pine martins are pretty common and they are really fun creatures to watch and interact with. Working in the bush gives me more than the occasional sightings of the little rascals. I can remember one time watching a martin chase a red squirrel up a doug fir just feet in front of me. The squirrel went around and around the tree with the martin right on his ass. Finally the martin caught him and broke the squirrel's neck. He then looked at me and started growling. Was a pretty cool sight to see. I've had other martins try to claim my camps. I did a fly in camp for work a few years back and 2 martins (we named Mr. & Mrs. Martin after the Prime Minister of Canada at the time) tried to take over our outdoor kitchen. They would growl and hiss and not let ya near the stove or the dirty pots. It is quite funny to think of something so small thinking they can take you on.

Years ago I was glassing a high country basin in the summer scouting for muleys. The bugs were horrendous that day. Just before the sun came up I caught movement beside the small lake in the bottom of the basin. It was a solid 170 class buck that was pushing the 30 inch mark. As I watched him through the glass, he went absolutely crazy. He started bucking and kicking and swinging his head. The bugs were driving him insaine. He then started bounding straight up out of that basin. The elevation gain was incredible. I mean straight up! At times he would pause and then start bucking and kicking again and then start bounding straight up the mountain again. When he got to the top, I could see him calm down and relax. It was obvious he found the wind. He then bedded right there. The bugs no longer a nuisence. The ground he had covered in less than a few minutes would have taken me close to an hour. That was a cool sight to see.

One spring I was glassin a big clearcut for black bear. After several minutes of glassin', I observed a giant brown phase bear come out of the timber. It was huge, easily exceeding the 7 foot mark. I was thinking, there's our bear, when I noticed movement behind the bear. Out came 3 tiny cubs, one black, one brown and one blonde. They fed for a bit on a patch of green and then I watched the monster sow flop onto her ass, grab the 3 cubs in a big bear hug and start nursing them. That was a sight I will never forget.

Some pretty cool stories. It is amazing what you see sometimes when you are out in the great outdoors. The creatures sometimes may not be rare, but what you observe them doing can be pretty darn special.

Around here pine martins are pretty common and they are really fun creatures to watch and interact with. Working in the bush gives me more than the occasional sightings of the little rascals. I can remember one time watching a martin chase a red squirrel up a doug fir just feet in front of me. The squirrel went around and around the tree with the martin right on his ass. Finally the martin caught him and broke the squirrel's neck. He then looked at me and started growling. Was a pretty cool sight to see. I've had other martins try to claim my camps. I did a fly in camp for work a few years back and 2 martins (we named Mr. & Mrs. Martin after the Prime Minister of Canada at the time) tried to take over our outdoor kitchen. They would growl and hiss and not let ya near the stove or the dirty pots. It is quite funny to think of something so small thinking they can take you on.

Years ago I was glassing a high country basin in the summer scouting for muleys. The bugs were horrendous that day. Just before the sun came up I caught movement beside the small lake in the bottom of the basin. It was a solid 170 class buck that was pushing the 30 inch mark. As I watched him through the glass, he went absolutely crazy. He started bucking and kicking and swinging his head. The bugs were driving him insaine. He then started bounding straight up out of that basin. The elevation gain was incredible. I mean straight up! At times he would pause and then start bucking and kicking again and then start bounding straight up the mountain again. When he got to the top, I could see him calm down and relax. It was obvious he found the wind. He then bedded right there. The bugs no longer a nuisence. The ground he had covered in less than a few minutes would have taken me close to an hour. That was a cool sight to see.

One spring I was glassin a big clearcut for black bear. After several minutes of glassin', I observed a giant brown phase bear come out of the timber. It was huge, easily exceeding the 7 foot mark. I was thinking, there's our bear, when I noticed movement behind the bear. Out came 3 tiny cubs, one black, one brown and one blonde. They fed for a bit on a patch of green and then I watched the monster sow flop onto her ass, grab the 3 cubs in a big bear hug and start nursing them. That was a sight I will never forget.

Watched a coyote and a badger traveling and hunting together. At first I thought they were going to fight. My money was on the badger, but watched them hunt and work acorss a sage flat for an hour.

Watched a coyote and a badger traveling and hunting together. At first I thought they were going to fight. My money was on the badger, but watched them hunt and work acorss a sage flat for an hour.

Yrs back saw a mountain goat with an arrow sticking outa both sides of his head in NV. It was around for a few yrs.

Yrs back saw a mountain goat with an arrow sticking outa both sides of his head in NV. It was around for a few yrs.

One night in MT I identified 18 different black-footed ferrets. Kinda cool when you think there were only 18 on the face of the earth less than 20 years prior.

One night in MT I identified 18 different black-footed ferrets. Kinda cool when you think there were only 18 on the face of the earth less than 20 years prior.

bcboy,
Thanks for sharing your stories. You paint a vivid picture with words. I envy your talent.

Isn't it great to be able to experience wild animals going about their business. I feel so bad for the good folks that don't understand how hunting and fishing provides us such pleasure interacting with old mother nature.

Thanks again,
DC

bcboy,
Thanks for sharing your stories. You paint a vivid picture with words. I envy your talent.

Isn't it great to be able to experience wild animals going about their business. I feel so bad for the good folks that don't understand how hunting and fishing provides us such pleasure interacting with old mother nature.

Thanks again,
DC

not a rare animal, but a rare encounter:

2 years ago i was riding a trail on my wheeler and stopped on this corner to glass up this big draw. i was leaning on the front and i turned around to get some lens cleaner out of my pack and almost came out of my skin. there was a coyote sitting right next to my back tire watching me. he acted like he had never seen a human before. my rifle was on the ground resting on the bipods. i slowly reached down and he split. it was pretty cool. but i would have shot him. ill take out a yote any chance i get. 4 feet, 400 yards. its all the same to me:)

not a rare animal, but a rare encounter:

2 years ago i was riding a trail on my wheeler and stopped on this corner to glass up this big draw. i was leaning on the front and i turned around to get some lens cleaner out of my pack and almost came out of my skin. there was a coyote sitting right next to my back tire watching me. he acted like he had never seen a human before. my rifle was on the ground resting on the bipods. i slowly reached down and he split. it was pretty cool. but i would have shot him. ill take out a yote any chance i get. 4 feet, 400 yards. its all the same to me:)

LONGUN,

That Ringtail Cat that you found and cut the tail off, was that in Cali at the time? If not, then don't worry.
But in Cali it is on the endanger list or at least it use to be as a friend I worked with found one the same way going home one night after work at the Geysers Steam Fields.
When he asked me about a Taxi to have it mounted, I said I don't think you are even suppose to have one. He knew a F&G guy in Sac so he called him up and the guy told him he would be over to look at it.
Well to make this short, since the F&G guy knew Tom and heard the story, he said don't say a thing and I wil take care of getting rid of it. He told him that he (Tom) could be charged with having in the ringtail as it in on the Federal list of protected wild cats. This all happened close to 30 years ago now.
Also one other guy came to me and wanted to know what wolverine looked like, he had seen a strange looking cat thing climb out of a dumpster one night at work up there. Sure enough he described it to a tee and show him a pic the next day, swears it was the same thing.

Now the only sighting I have seen of a rare species of critter was one evening about 5 years ago that still gives me night mares and that was a Southern Desert Buglope...they hang out on the outer edge of Bakersfield and have a strange fetish for Videos..........

Brian

LONGUN,

That Ringtail Cat that you found and cut the tail off, was that in Cali at the time? If not, then don't worry.
But in Cali it is on the endanger list or at least it use to be as a friend I worked with found one the same way going home one night after work at the Geysers Steam Fields.
When he asked me about a Taxi to have it mounted, I said I don't think you are even suppose to have one. He knew a F&G guy in Sac so he called him up and the guy told him he would be over to look at it.
Well to make this short, since the F&G guy knew Tom and heard the story, he said don't say a thing and I wil take care of getting rid of it. He told him that he (Tom) could be charged with having in the ringtail as it in on the Federal list of protected wild cats. This all happened close to 30 years ago now.
Also one other guy came to me and wanted to know what wolverine looked like, he had seen a strange looking cat thing climb out of a dumpster one night at work up there. Sure enough he described it to a tee and show him a pic the next day, swears it was the same thing.

Now the only sighting I have seen of a rare species of critter was one evening about 5 years ago that still gives me night mares and that was a Southern Desert Buglope...they hang out on the outer edge of Bakersfield and have a strange fetish for Videos..........

Brian

Hey folks i guess you can say i am kinda new to the site being that i havent been on for years and my old name was deleted i guess. well any way i live in Az, i think it was 5 years ago my first time hunting coues whitetail here we were driving back to camp after dark, and low and behold a jaguar jump out in the road in front of us, my first thought was holy crap a mountain lion then it dawned on me this cat was dark with the yellow coloring in it. my brother and i sat there for what seemed to be an eternity looking through the winsheild at it like "wow a jaguar". it then jumped from the edge of the road into a dead tree, climbed down and vanish. Im thinking it was headed to the ranch down below to get some dinner for the night. we called azgfd and reported they called us back got the details and such and that was that. it was way cool.

Hey folks i guess you can say i am kinda new to the site being that i havent been on for years and my old name was deleted i guess. well any way i live in Az, i think it was 5 years ago my first time hunting coues whitetail here we were driving back to camp after dark, and low and behold a jaguar jump out in the road in front of us, my first thought was holy crap a mountain lion then it dawned on me this cat was dark with the yellow coloring in it. my brother and i sat there for what seemed to be an eternity looking through the winsheild at it like "wow a jaguar". it then jumped from the edge of the road into a dead tree, climbed down and vanish. Im thinking it was headed to the ranch down below to get some dinner for the night. we called azgfd and reported they called us back got the details and such and that was that. it was way cool.

I didn't have a sighting as neat as the big buck doing an oops!, but a small three-pt. was crossing the road in front of me full-tilt once. He hit a five strand barbed wire fence, which immediately catapulted him off his feet into the middle of the road. He got up for a second attempt, which resulted in much the same outcome. Third time he hit the fence, he somehow slipped through! I walked over and examined the fence; no broken strands, just a bit looser, and a few clumps of hair hangin' on some barbs!! The strands of wire seemed no more than a foot apart-amazing how he did this!!

I didn't have a sighting as neat as the big buck doing an oops!, but a small three-pt. was crossing the road in front of me full-tilt once. He hit a five strand barbed wire fence, which immediately catapulted him off his feet into the middle of the road. He got up for a second attempt, which resulted in much the same outcome. Third time he hit the fence, he somehow slipped through! I walked over and examined the fence; no broken strands, just a bit looser, and a few clumps of hair hangin' on some barbs!! The strands of wire seemed no more than a foot apart-amazing how he did this!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom