Remembering the USS Arizona

I graduated Navy bootcamp 22 years ago today. Not an important day for all these days but definitely is for me. Godbless shipmates, those who care, and thanks for the post Eel 🤘

~Z~

My dad joined the Navy in 1939 and was duck hunting on a reservoir by San Diego when navy personnel came around with blow horns telling them to immediately return to base on a Sunday morning December 7, 1941. I remember "A day that will live in infamy" as homage to my father who made it through the war unscathed.

A day to be remembered. Thank you to America's greatest generation for defending our freedom. My dad was 16 when we were attacked and joined the Army and fought in The Battle of the Bulge.

I have two USS Arizona coins one is 1oz silver the other 1oz silver with gold ship on both sides. They are from 1991 the 50th anniversary

I've been twice as well as many other historical sites.

One of the most moving places I've visited.

Went there in June for the first time ever. Was there doing a military exercise so we got a tour. Very very moving being out there, watching the oil still coming to surface. Thinking of what that was like and seeing all the names on that memorial.
D91FA4F5-98FB-4A55-B3E7-051D54618D40.jpeg

9D111633-FB5A-4132-AEDF-670B0C2B9376.jpeg
EB7C9D41-49D1-4C31-BD19-E8A3191BA79F.jpeg

Wilber Kellog FM1C Iowa... during the depression came to Gunnison on a "orphan train" friends with my dad and uncle. He headed back to Iowa to try and find his family...enlisted in the Navy in Denver.... Died on the Arizona. Unknown if his family ever even knew. I made sure to find his name there....

G
Wilber Kellog FM1C Iowa... during the depression came to Gunnison on a "orphan train" friends with my dad and uncle. He headed back to Iowa to try and find his family...enlisted in the Navy in Denver.... Died on the Arizona. Unknown if his family ever even knew. I made sure to find his name there....
Sad story; I hope he found his family.

Went there in June for the first time ever. Was there doing a military exercise so we got a tour. Very very moving being out there, watching the oil still coming to surface. Thinking of what that was like and seeing all the names on that memorial.
View attachment 129059
View attachment 129060View attachment 129061
I think they said the oil will keep seeping out of the Arizona for another 500 years. I wonder if the boat‘s structure will last that long

I think they said the oil will keep seeping out of the Arizona for another 500 years. I wonder if the boat‘s structure will last that long
No. It will rust through and there will be a spill. I wondered same thing. Could they not drill a hole and pump it out. It is several quarts a day. Apparently it was filled completely full of oil right before the attack.

The Arizona was completely full with fuel. My friend and I wondered the same thing about removing the oil we asked the tour guide he/she said they cannot do that or touch anything in it on or around it because it is a National Burial Spot. I know I’m not saying it right but it’s like going to Arlington Cemetery and digging anywhere around the graves

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom