rifle for big mule deer

G

giant34buck

I am looking for a great rifle for big mule deer, what type of rifle that works great for 300 to 500 yards? any suggestions? Thanks!

I've poked elk at 300 yards with a 260. Ive poked elk at 400+ yards with a 30.06, do I recommend that you do it with these guns al the time, nope! But they work, its the placement that counted in both of the shots above mentioned.

But if I were to EXCLUSIVELY shoot from 400+ yards (gotta ask why anybody would do that?) I would choose one of the Magnums out there. The 300 Ultra or something equivilent.

Mike
at235.gif

Depending on how much you value penetration power, something on the lines of 300 Win through RUM.

If you are not so concerned with that extra power its hard to refute the BC of the 7mm rounds. 7 Rem mag through the RUM type cartridges. Inlcuding STW. But use enough bullet there. At least 140 if not 150-160. Those 160 and up to 180s have a super high BC and if given enough fuel, are pretty flat and wind resistant.

6.5x284 is also a decent round though I'd prefer the 7mm for the mentioned job.

So many choices! Jeff

I would say start with a .270 and work your way up till you flinch, take that gun without a sling on a hike up to about 12,000 ft and back, if you made it to a .338 you will find something inbetween that suits you. Be sure to use premium bullets and if you can't hit a pie plate at 100 yards in the standing position with out a rest work your way back down till you can. A .243 will kill an elephent.

WB

300 to 500 yards? Maybe I shouldn't reply because I'm not qualified to shoot beyond 250 yards from a field rest by my own admission.

numbers are 400 yards then 500 for wind drift 10MPR and the second set is 400 and 500 Drop after 300 yard Zero, last number is energy at 500 yards.

260 140 sgk 12 19 12.4 32.9 1130
270 140 np 10.8 17.5 10.6 28.2 1330
7mg 160 np 10.4 16.9 10.5 27.8 1555
300 165 np 12.7 20.6 10.5 28.4 1455 From FEDERAL

A deer won't know the difference.

500 yards 5 mile sidewind breeze, uphill slope with a backpack rest on a walking buck. He's going to walk a long time. Till Either I get a lot closer or he get's away. Either way, and no offense to the thread starter, but every guy I met that was capable of the shot I listed on a pie plate size target at 500 yards... had no question about what tool was going to need to get it done. As a practical matter, I doubt there's 5 guys in 100 with any business taking any kind of shot in any kind of circumstances at 500 yards. But opinions are like you know what so this one's no different.

My gun for whitetail and mulies is still the 270. Haven't needed anything bigger yet. That said, the only way I would shoot at a deer over 400 yards, is if I had already wounded it.

The 7mm mag or 300 win mag should work nicely for what you want. Any bigger and you better not be effected by recoil at all.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

My 30" Mulie surrendered to a 7MM Rem Mag. 160 NP. It weighed 184 lbs just meat on the hook. He's big and I recommend a 7MM. Same setup worked for a bull elk the next year. Good luck.

I love my 7STW. 140grn bullets at 3550fps do insane damage with incredible ballistics. I use a 6.5x20 Leupold on it. Dropped my elk this year with a single 380 yard shot.

-DallanC

My 180gr 300 wsm will through a 120 lb. blacktail around like a rag doll should do well with biger game.

p.s. I like not having to trail blood lol :)

I agree with Mtmuley. 300 Ultra or 30-378 Weatherby only if you can take the recoil. A Swarovski 4x16 with TDS and alot of pratice is the ticket.

If it were me I'd choose a .300Rum or 7mmRum. I'd mount a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14-x50 with target turrets for ultra precise bullet placement. Or the Swarovski with the TDS reticle. Whichever you like. The most important thing is that you shoot out to those distances early and often.

Honestly my personal fav. is the .270 win. shooting a premium 140 gr. bullet like a barns x, swift a-frame, or nosler partition. This should be more than enough gun for any sane shot at any mule deer. If you can handle the recoil of the 300. mags. all the more power to ya. Just remember that shot placement is crucial, and if you can't hit at any given range more power means nothing. good luck , and hope this helps.

Boman,

I'm mulling over the thought of picking up the CDL in 7mag, or 7RUM... From what I've heard, the Ultra mag hasn't been making much of a run. I like the idea of the rifle, but is the 200fps really necessary? Will a guy have to worry about finding brass someday down the line?

I started out with a 30-06 for deer and elk, and a 25-06 for antelope. The 30 was great for knockdown power, but drops around 9-10 inches at 300 yards. the 25 was great for antelope, because you don't need all the knockdown power, but it shoots long and flat. I ended up buying a 7mm. It combines the knockdown power of the 30-06, with the flat long shot of the 25-06. Seems to be the best all around rifle out there. I own several other rifles. 300 win mag, 300 weather. the 300's just seem to be overdoing it abit. they will work great for 400+ plus yard shots, but personally most shots i take are at 150 yards with the occasional 300 yarder. 7mm is a great all around rifle.

OSOK, I have a friend that has reloaded fairly extensively for the 7RUM. The rifle is a Remington BDL SS. After a fair amount of work the rifle shoots great. Retumbo and RL-25 seem to be the ticket. With two orders of 100 rounds of Remington brass, there were problems with two cases. One was a shoulder dent after firing, and I can't recall the other but can find out. I really can't see a problem finding brass even later on. As far as the extra 200 fps, only you can decide if it is worth it. I shoot a 300 Ultra, and believe it is worth it. I think the .300 is a little more forgiving to load for. mtmuley

OSOK,

First I'll echo what mtmuley said, he's right on. And Yes the 7mm Rum hasn't done as well as the .300Rum. With the Rum's I'd work with RL25 and Retumbo. Also with the brass question you can buy 50 pieces of brass for $34 at Sportsmans Warehouse so I'd go out and buy 200-300pieces of brass if I was worried about it. As far as being worth it.. man thats a tough one. You'd want to really think about what you want. 200fps will give you some nice things. It will extend your Maximum point blank range, give you a bunch more energy at greater distances. The cost to this is of course more recoil and the possibility of not being able to find brass or ammo down the road..The reason I chose the .300Rum is that I really like the extra energy gained by the faster velocity. The MPBR won't extend that much over a reg 7mm mag but the energy difference is big. If long range shooting is your goal either the 7mag or the 7mmRum will do the job with the right scope. Hope that helps.

RE: BIG MULE DEER FOR RIFLE

They dont care what you shootem with. I just need a big mule deer for my rifle! Oh, I shoot a 300 rum....

OSOK,
First I'll echo what mtmuley said, he's right on. And Yes the 7mm Rum hasn't done as well as the .300Rum. With the Rum's I'd work with RL25 and Retumbo. Also with the brass question you can buy 50 pieces of brass for $34 at Sportsmans Warehouse so I'd go out and buy 200-300pieces of brass if I was worried about it. As far as being worth it.. man thats a tough one. You'd want to really think about what you want. 200fps will give you some nice things. It will extend your Maximum point blank range, give you a bunch more energy at greater distances. The cost to this is of course more recoil and the possibility of not being able to find brass or ammo down the road..The reason I chose the .300Rum is that I really like the extra energy gained by the faster velocity. The MPBR won't extend that much over a reg 7mm mag but the energy difference is big. If long range shooting is your goal either the 7mag or the 7mmRum will do the job with the right scope. Hope that helps.

I hear ya,

I really like the looks of the CDL. Just wish they made the 7mag w/ a 24" tube. Figured if I have to go w/ a 26", I should probably weigh the decision of whether or not it may be worth it stepping up. I don't know, the furthest I'd shoot would probably be 500 yards. My rangefinder has a tough time getting reading beyond that. The straight 6 power I've been using has served it purpose pretty well out to 450+ in the past. I don't plan on shooting many elk w/ a rifle, so I think either of the 7's should be plenty of gun. Decisions, decisions...

OSOK, The CDL is a great looking rifle. I don't think you can go wrong if you choose the 7mm Remington over the Ultra. Out to 500 yards, which is a long way, the 7 mag should do fine, if you do your part. mtmuley

OSOK,

If you like the CDL and want the 7mm rem mag with a 24"barrel, buy it and take it to a competent gunsmith to chop it down to 24" and recrown it, I'd be that would improve the accuracy also. Remington is not known for having the smoothest crowns. Your straight 6 power scope is just fine alot of guys swear by them. If you don't have target turrets you can add them, if its a Leupold its pretty easy to do. You sight in at your most comfortable range. Shoot your gun out to the distances you want. Make a chart that shows how many clicks it takes to get right on, tape it to your stock.. there is a company that makes turret replacements that show the range on the turrets, then you don't have to count clicks. I'll post the link to them. Then its easy. Range the target, make necessary clicks, squeeze, bang flop.. Thats a good day. You won't be handicapped by using it on elk out 500yds either. I say if thats what you want, get it and be happy!

check out kentonindustries.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom