Roosevelts Elk

Wyo

I would like to someday get a roosevelt elk and it seems like to me Oregon would be my best choice. What are generally considered some of the best areas for Roosevelts? Without any points would I ever have a chance at drawing a controlled hunt tag? I am willing to put in for the long haul to get a good tag. As a resident of Wyoming I get to elk hunt every year, so it would be cool to try and get another species even if it was 10 years from now. Thanks in advance for the help!

pretty much all of our coast range is good. Keep in mind that this is an extremely wet rain forest. The ferns are over your head in most places and the rhododendron's will be so thick in some areas that you get claustrophobic. Over the counter tags for the most part but there are a few draw units too. You would have a very good chance drawing a tag. Forget the bugle because the forest is so dense that unless you are right on top of the elk you will not hear them.
Roseys are very big!! and any Rosey is a true trophy.

The north coast has always produced the largest Roosevelt bulls. Clatsop, Tillamook, and Columbia counties have by far the most bulls in the record book.

The Powers unit in southwest Oregon puts out some good bulls as well.

If you're thinking about bowhunting, be prepared to be locked out of the private timberlands due to fire danger. They lock up their lands almost every year a week or so before archery season. There's quite a bit of public land on the north coast in the form of state forest land, so all is not lost.

Good luck!

Wyo,
I would also look at the Tioga Unit, which is a draw unit. It is 3 point or better unit. If it is your first choice you will draw with no points. As it is stated above wet, brushy, and all second growth reprod. There are good bulls there as well. JB

Get a copy of primos truth 9.....Will had the Powers tag, but was locked out of the unit due to fire danger. His bull was actually killed in the Tioga unit and guided by a good friend of mine. If interested, pm me for more info....

Troutcrk

Are you archery hunting or rifle hunting? There are Elk up and down the Oregon Coast, some areas better than others. I personally don't hear of anyone doing any better in the Powers than any other OTC unit. I would go OTC myself. Units to look at are the Tioga, Alsea, Trask, Saddle Mt. The areas around Seaside have a ton of elk, good looking country but there is a lot of timber land that gets locked up and closed due to fire danger. Find some national or state forest land and you'll be set.

Wyo, Oregon is ok for an OTC tag...I would consider Washington too, especially if your are rifle hunting and want a Roosie....the west side of Washington is OTC and is all 3 point or better....something I wish Oregon would do RIGHT NOW! On our Washington hunts we have seen more elk in one season then I have in my whole life in Oregon. pm me if you consider Washington and want some help.

I think I would prefer to just rifle hunt. My main goal is to first be able to harvest a good respectable bull. Would be awesome someday to bag one that would score in the upper 200's. How often are B&C bulls killed in Oregon or Washington? I just want to experience a different kind of hunt and have the best possible chance at bringing home a respectable bull. I have harvested some nice Rocky mtn. bulls, and intend to harvest at least one Roosie in my life! You guys have given me some great places to start, this was the kind of help I was lookin for!

The best units in oregon for book Roosies have already been mentioned. That said, book Roosies are very few and far between, as are any "book" animals in Oregon.....(the last couple book Roosies were HUGE though)

I actually don't know about entries from Washington. We've seen lotsa Roosies taken in Washington but none were close to making book. Lots of small 5 and 6 points, probably none over 250. I think the success rates in some Washington units blow away most Oregon units.....I'm convinced it's the 3 point or better rules.....ODFW probably needs 20 more years of "studying" the situation before making much needed changes...

If elk hunting is as good as you say it is, why do I see so many Washington plates during bow season? LOL!

OregonBowhunter, ha ha ha very good question! I should keep my mouth shut, let them hunt here, while I go there, LOL. I wish I saw more elk in Oregon! I love Oregon, but the numbers are not good enough to keep me here. I Love hunting Roosies too, that was the first big game animal I ever hunted and it brings back early hunting memories......

WapitiBob is totally right about where the biggest bulls are most frequently taken....private ground, usually close to I-5, which begins a whole new argument about cross overs and are Roosies taken anywhere near I-5 actaully Roosies.......

I live in the heart of Rosey country. I'd love to swap some info with ya on where to drop a Rosey for a few spots to try in Wyoming. One state I haven't elk hunted in yet, but want to soon. Anyhow, drop me a note at [email protected] and I can elaborate.

tc

Back
Top Bottom