Rooster Fishing

fullcry

Looking anyone who has fished Mexico for Rooster fish.Were you stayed? Maybe Cabo?
Or if you can recommend someone who you fished with.Any information would be appreciated
Thanks
Please PM me.

Fly fishing specific or just trying to catch roosters? East cape may-july...los barrilles, la ribera area, is one of the most saught after areas for chasing big roosters with fly rods from the beach. Sight fishing and searching for them in the surf etc... couple good guides in that area.. if just wanting to fish with gear rods from a boat, that area can still be good, or as mentioned la paz, etc I'm sure has good fishing

We fished roosters over Thanksgiving out of La Paz. Caught some and had many hits. All from a boat. They think the needle fish are trash fish, but they were fun to catch too and over 3' long. We fished 6 hours and caught roosters, needles, trumpters, and snapper. It was a good day. If I were to go specifically for roosters I would probably go to the Mag Bay area.
One day I will sight fish them with a fly rod from the beach.

We flew into San Jose del Cabo, rented a car and drove hwy 1 up toward La Paz (pretty mountain drive). Stayed in an Air-BnB and explored the area. It was a nice trip, plenty to do in the area if you like the ocean and desert.

Dang
Thank for the advice guys.
I’m going to go in April, or early May time frame so have to drill down from there.Checked out all the places that have been suggested and can’t go wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
BP: rancho Leonero has been sold to a Mexican development group. No telling what it will become when it rises from the ashes. We loved going there for many years, as it was high class but still low key. We go to Crocodile Bay in Costa Rica now. American owned, great fishing for all species, and no cartel bs to deal with!!!

BP: rancho Leonero has been sold to a Mexican development group. No telling what it will become when it rises from the ashes. We loved going there for many years, as it was high class but still low key. We go to Crocodile Bay in Costa Rica now. American owned, great fishing for all species, and no cartel bs to deal with!!!
So sad! Magical place.

We fished roosters over Thanksgiving out of La Paz. Caught some and had many hits. All from a boat. They think the needle fish are trash fish, but they were fun to catch too and over 3' long. We fished 6 hours and caught roosters, needles, trumpters, and snapper. It was a good day. If I were to go specifically for roosters I would probably go to the Mag Bay area.
One day I will sight fish them with a fly rod from the beach.

We flew into San Jose del Cabo, rented a car and drove hwy 1 up toward La Paz (pretty mountain drive). Stayed in an Air-BnB and explored the area. It was a nice trip, plenty to do in the area if you like the ocean and desert.
Mag bay is more for the Marlin/blue water stuff. But if you have the right guide, there are some great rooster spots. I was in Mag Bay thanksgiving into early december. Landed marlin and uncountable numbers of mahi on the fly, then a pile of roosters from the beach. Mag bay is a special place that time of year no doubt!

I took my oldest there for his 21st birthday. Was counseled on fine things in life by John Ireland himself. Smoked cigars on long walks on the beach, caught his first marlin and rooster, enjoyed the bar with people from all over the world. He's been a better man for the rest of his life!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Mexico Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy Sonoran mule deer and coues deer on over 400,000 acres of private ground.

DIY Coues Deer Hunts

Hunt 20k acre private ranch in Sonora for coues bucks ranging in the 100" class. Email Michael at [email protected].

Sonora Outfitters

We hunt on some of the best ranches in Sonora - known for holding trophy Desert Bighorn Sheep and trophy Mule Deer.

MADD Hunts

DIY coues buck hunts on 30 sq. miles of archery only, private lands. Nice accomodations, along with information and photos.

Back
Top Bottom