Rough Start - 2015

dillon

Very Active Member
Basically what happened to me is that I got my appendix removed on December 30, came home, got sick, went back to the hospital on January 3rd, the doctor determined that I bled internally after surgery and for some reason the space around my lungs filled with 4 liters of blood-like fluid. Then on Sunday January 11th the doctor cleaned out my stomach (probably removed whatever he left in there accidentally from the first surgery), and collapsed my lung so they could drain off the fluids around the lungs. I was discharged from the hospital on the 15th. I still have a hard time breathing, but I am getting better everyday as my lungs continue to expand.

5882img_20150111_102603.jpg

After all that I am finally in recovery and luckily my insurance will cover all but a few thousand dollars of my medical bills because I easily met my yearly max out of pocket amount.

Unfortunately, I had to drop my graduate school classes this semester and my hunting money is going to have to pay some bills. I guess I will just count my stars that I didn't die. My employer has been excellent to work with me and I should have some leave time left after I get back to work in February. I just won't have very much time to take off for hunts next fall.

Good luck on you applications this year.

Dillon Hoyt
www.dillonhoyt.com

Dillon, there is always next year for the hunts. Main thing is to get well so you can put in for those hunts at a later time. Best of wishes for a speedy recovery.

RELH

Best of luck and a speedy recovery, What time you have off im sure someone on here can help make the most of your time hunting.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Sometimes there are more important things than Hunting!

We will all miss a season or two sometime in our Life!

Get Well soon!

And I'm sure by September You'll be feelin a lot better!:D:D:D

[font color="redhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMsueOnu0kY

That is a rough start. I've never meet you, let you reached out and game me some info on my son's cow elk hunt. Good Karma should be coming your way. Best of luck.

Hang in there and be positive. You have life and family! I'm sure you'll play the application game for points.

Just get well first, everything else will fall in place.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I feel for ya man. It looks like you had to have a catheter put in. All I have to say is that HURTS. I had the unfortunate pleasure of having some medical issues in Dec. and had to have one put in. To all those guys that have experienced this you know how bad that is. For those that haven't, just pray you never have to. It feels like they are shoving a piece of BARBED WIRE up there. Glad to hear your doing better.

Thanks guys. It was no fun. I had two catheters throughout the process, Ng tubes down my nose twice, and a breathing tube. I had a chest tube on both sides drain fluid from around my lungs as well. Lets just say it was not how I planned on spending New Years or my birthday. The drugs they give you mess you up pretty bad. My dreams were all colorful and spirally, like the "elephants and woosles" song on Winnie the Pooh. I only remember about 6 hours of my two week stay in the hospital.

Dillon

Hang in there man. You are young and will recoup quickly.
I had a similar experience a few years ago.
Best of luck to you, and God Speed.

Not a good thing. Glad you are on the mend. Hang tough and get back to the outdoors a little here and there. Hunt what you can this year and make major plans for down the road when this is behind you. Best of luck.

Hang in there Buddy. You ever watch Little Nemo? Just keep swimming Just keep swimming! Get well man

Rutnbuck

Dillon wish you a speedy recovery. Main thing right now is to cake care of yourself, get strong so you can get back to your hunts. 2015!hunts are a long way off don't give up on 2015 yet. Looks like your young and strong...good rehab and your good to go. Just take it easy in the mountains this year :)

Good luck,

))))------->

Holy crap! That stinks, glad you pulled through. There will always be other hunts, better luck next year. Keep getting better.

Dax

Well I can make you feel better. Last August 23rd I suffered an atrial flutter (230 bpm) and was hospitalized for 3 days. Maxed out my annual out-of-pocket $4,500 for the policy period ending August 30th. Then had a $220,000 ablation procedure October 15th which maxed out another $4,500 annual out-of-pocket for this policy period. Prior to this mess I decided it was a good time to get Invisiline braces for $5,500 not covered. So even though I have a good BC/BS policy I owe $4,500 + $4,500 + $5,500 = $14,500 cash.

Oh well, at least I can go take all the therapy I want until next bow season? No additional charge.

Member RMEF, Pope & Young Club, NRA, UWC & DP Hate Club

UPDATE:

I get to go back to work on January 28th. I am on light duty so I won't be doing law enforcement for a while (I am a park ranger). I talked with my doctor today and he told me that in his 20 years as a surgeon he has never had a case like mine. He was shocked by how much blood was puddled in my stomach and that I was not in shock. He thinks my body started storing blood around my lungs to help the stomach start working again. The human body is a pretty amazing. My max out of pocket is $7,800. We are having a baby in early June (a boy) so we were already had $4,300 of that saved for baby. Baby will be free now since my insurance year ends June 30th. So far my bills are just over $150,000 so I am very glad I have insurance.

Mostly I am happy to be alive and starting this healing process which will take some time. I need to be 100% by mid-April and my employer will be happy.

Best of luck,

Dillon

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom