Russia Hasn’t Learned From It’s Own History

2lumpy

Long Time Member

Are the Russians making the same mistakes the Nazis made?​

Amazing parallel to WWII in Russia.​

GERMAN LOGISTICAL PROBLEMS​

Logistics was another hugely important factor in the German defeat. No matter how fast or far the fighting formations advanced, they were dependent on timely supplies of fuel and ammunition. This became an ever greater problem as the army progressed deeper into Soviet territory and further away from its own railheads. Not only were the distances much greater than they had been during the French campaign, but the Soviet transport infrastructure was much poorer. German engineers struggled to convert the Russian railway gauge to one which their own locomotives and rolling stock could use. Meanwhile the multitude of lorries and horse-drawn wagons in which the supplies were transported were forced to negotiate Russian dirt roads, which became virtually impassable after prolonged rain.

The debilitating effects of the weather and terrain were not properly taken into account when planning the campaign. The numerous forests, marshes and rivers slowed the advance during the summer. The autumn Rasputitsa and the onset of the brutal Russian winter brought it to a halt during Operation 'Typhoon'. Tank and vehicle lubricants froze as temperatures plunged to record lows. Winter clothing supplies were held up in Poland, as fuel and ammunition took priority. If anything symbolises the failure of 'Barbarossa' it is the image of inadequately equipped German troops shivering in the snows before Moscow.

THE SUCCESS OF SOVIET RESISTANCE​

Perhaps the most important reason of all for the defeat of Operation 'Barbarossa' was the tenacious resistance of the defenders. The Germans completely underestimated the Soviet will to fight. Hitler's announcement that the war in the east was one of 'annihilation' and Stalin's astute call to defend 'Mother Russia' rather than his own regime gave the ordinary Russian soldier - no matter how coerced or badly led - every reason to battle to the death. Hitler's infamous 'Commissar Order', which sanctioned the execution of all captured political officers, also stiffened Russian resolve. The Russian soldier was found to be a hardy and implacable foe, and quickly gained the respect of the majority of German front-line troops. No western enemy would come close to the Soviets in sheer staying power.

I know one thing and that is Putin is going to be an outcast at some point no one will be thankful for what he has done to Russia. They are going downhill like a snowball headed to hell.

The Soviet Union prevailed in the end but not before 22,000,000 of them died.

A few of the German Generals, after surrendering to the Allies, wanted to combine forces and smash Russia. Looking back, it wasn't such a bad idea.

I’m hoping the Ukrainians do to the Russians what the Russians did to the Germans, it’s seems like the Russians are making the same mistakes as the Germans did. It may cost the Ukrainians 22 million too.

I’m hoping the Ukrainians do to the Russians what the Russians did to the Germans, it’s seems like the Russians are making the same mistakes as the Germans did. It may cost the Ukrainians 22 million too.

But, it will cost the Russians even more. A country with a GDP the size of Texas' GDP, they don't have the demographic to pay that bill...

If the Ukrainians can hold out for a longer time, they will drain the Russian military. They need to get those Mig-29s from Poland to gain air supremacy even if it is only for a short time, and hit the Russian supply lines.
If this can be done and Putin fails to back off, his own generals may decide to kill him. I do not see Putin backing off as he will be finished as leader for his mistake of invading Ukraine.
RELH

If the Ukrainians can hold out for a longer time, they will drain the Russian military. They need to get those Mig-29s from Poland to gain air supremacy even if it is only for a short time, and hit the Russian supply lines.
If this can be done and Putin fails to back off, his own generals may decide to kill him. I do not see Putin backing off as he will be finished as leader for his mistake of invading Ukraine.
RELH

The other problem (maybe blessing?) Russia has is those who are in top government being made up primarily of former KGB. There were only around 150 at the time the USSR fell, and many of them have gone the way of the Dodo. Putin is one of the last of it's kind, so in his deranged mind, it's now or never.

I doubt his top command will kill him, but they certainly may replace him with someone a little more moderate...

The other problem (maybe blessing?) Russia has is those who are in top government being made up primarily of former KGB. There were only around 150 at the time the USSR fell, and many of them have gone the way of the Dodo. Putin is one of the last of it's kind, so in his deranged mind, it's now or never.

I doubt his top command will kill him, but they certainly may replace him with someone a little more moderate...
Hope your right but I fear it’s mostly wishful thinking. It not very common in the world of dictators but it has happened on rare occasions.

ukrainianfarmerssub.jpg

Biden is tougher and more clear headed then any of those three yokels.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom