Sanrafeal Sheep

feduptwo

My hunting partner drew A Sanrafeal Sheep Tag. I'm looking for any information you all may have on this unit. Any help would be much appreciated. He is a nonresident so he can hunt both units.
Thanks,

I know some information about the SR North but not as much on the South. Much of the north unit can be accessed via ATV, and it is not as physically demanding as most Desert Units. The sheep on the San Rafael are not typically real big and anything over 150 is typically a good ram. I hear the north unit has also had some die off in the last few years, and the permits are down.
The south unit is similar only perhaps with more sheep and somewhat less accessible.
If he is looking to be guided, I know some people who can help him out. No desert sheep hunt is a cake walk, and you have to know how to hunt sheep to be successful. He for sure has a tag of a lifetime and I would suggest he doesn't squander it! PM me if you wish. You may also want to ask this same question on the Sheep Forum.

+1 to the above post. I have a desert sheep tag on the Dirty devil. I should be going guided but just can't scrap the cash together this year. I have spent HOURS and Hours on the phone and internet tracking down info. I just spent 4 days last week on my unit just learning the roads. Never saw a sheep. I know there there so no panick. I will probably try to spend at least 4 more days before the hunt. I have some very qualified help coming on my hunt. Guys who have guided in the west for many years and some experienced sheep hunters. You should contact Adam Bronson at the huntin fool, Shawn Labrum at High wild outfitters , Wayne Brown at mossback or Randy Johnson. Though I just spoke with Randy the other day and he is pretty well booked for the year. I have known since February that I had the tag and still wake up in the middle of the night thinking about the upcoming hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!

I drew the the South San Rafael tag back in 2006...+2 to the above posts.

I'm a Resident and went DIY..Only myself, my Dad and a good friend from Montana...Hunted later in the season and killed a 156 B&C, heavy broomed, 9 year old Ram on Day 10...We started seeing alot of Rams towards the last part of the season. Locate the Ewes and you'll find the rams!..Good optics is mandatory!

If you would like more info, please feel free to send me a PM or I can be reached at 435-863-3445 during the work day!

Kevin

Some advice based on what many hunters in teh past have done.

they spend a lot of time scouting, then a lot of time hunting in the hot and early parts of the season. They see very few sheep, get discouraged. then, they shoot the first ram they see.

Get to know the area and how to get around, then save your time to hunt the last 3 weeks of teh hunt. It is cooler, closer to the Rut. and as the others have said, find the ewes, then you will find the rams.

lots of guys spend so much time, they panic.

It is mentally hard to do, but save your time till teh end of the hunt. Unless of course the ram you want walks out the first weekend.

Mental toughness is a big part of desert sheep hunting - lots of country, not a lot of sheep

best of luck

don Peay

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom