Scorer Question

RRCowboyStar

I am taking a Bull and Buck to a Pope and Young scorer this week, I have never done this before and my question is. Do you Tip them? They are taking the time out of their life to do this.

Official measurer here too. No, a tip is not necessary, nor expected. I’ve had people offer to tip me, or pay for my gas/time, and I tell them it will go straight to the Club as a donation, along with their membership application. What we do is entirely on a volunteer basis. It’s not a rule that one be a member to have an animal officially measured, but I also strongly encourage it. What I won’t do, is measure an animal when the hunter has no intention of recording it or joining. If you want an official score, please support the Club!

Last edited:
If I Were You I'd Take Them To The KALI-KID!

I'd Tip Him The Second You Get Out Of Your Truck!

And Tip Him Again Just Before You Leave!

Official measurer here too. No, a tip is not necessary, nor expected. I’ve had people offer to tip me, or pay for my gas/time, and I tell them it will go straight to the Club as a donation, along with their membership application. What we do is entirely on a volunteer basis. It’s not a rule that one be a member to have an animal officially measured, but I also strongly encourage it. What I won’t do, is measure an animal when the hunter has no intention of recording it or joining. If you want an official score, please support the Club!

This is how I do it also. I'll score something I know won't make it, but I won't score anything if they don't plan on entering it if it does.

No measurer should ever ask for money or accept a tip.

Make sure you get all the necessary photos before you send it to the taxidermist. Because if he cuts off the head and horns before you have all the right pictures, you might lose your pope& Young entry photos that are necessary.

Hey 440?

You Telling Us You've Never Took A Bottle Of CROWN For A Score Job?

This is how I do it also. I'll score something I know won't make it, but I won't score anything if they don't plan on entering it if it does.

No measurer should ever ask for money or accept a tip.

never tip a measurer, its against the rule and would be bad ethics

you can however cover cost , if any. i myself never take any of that if offered. usually for me its just a couple bucks for postage (another of my donations)

two things I do before measuring, 1. I ask that they enter the animal if I measure, 2. If it doesnt make it to the min I ask for them to join or make a small donation to P&Y

Again, No Tips

The most recent one I had measured came up just short of the B&C all time book
The scorer said I should enter it in Awards.
I said no thanks.
He seemed a little disappointed.

I Think In Certain Words buckhorn Just Told B&C To F-Off!
Didnt mean it an F off.
My All Timers are entered.
I just considered the awards like a consolation prize that I'm not interested in. But now that Homer has corrected me on that I may have to rethink it.

I Know!

You Know I'm Only RAZZIN!

And You Know Homer Needs RAZZED!:D

Didnt mean it an F off.
My All Timers are entered.
I just considered the awards like a consolation prize that I'm not interested in. But now that Homer has corrected me on that I may have to rethink it.

What in the world is B&C doing with headgear data besides some golly-gee-whiz stuff?

Are they drawing management method conclusions, dietary and habitat info, or what?

I had a great experience getting a couple of my animals scored. Ron Rockwell did the scoring for me. He is a great guy and took his time to explain the process. I want to thank everyone for the info.

Make sure you get all the necessary photos before you send it to the taxidermist. Because if he cuts off the head and horns before you have all the right pictures, you might lose your pope& Young entry photos that are necessary.
thill, you will not loose your entry for a field photo, P&Y would like a field photo but it is not required. 3 photos are required, side, side and front views. These can be taken anytime, rack or mount etc... Most of the time I take them when I complete a measurement.

Exactly. Good for what “cause”?
Read up on why the B&C records program exists in the first place and you'll understand. it'll make you appreciate what our hunting forefathers did and make you proud of where we are today. we all piss and moan about the deer numbers and other problems with hunting today, but the fact we even have anything to hunt is pretty amazing really.

Read up on why the B&C records program exists in the first place and you'll understand. it'll make you appreciate what our hunting forefathers did and make you proud of where we are today. we all piss and moan about the deer numbers and other problems with hunting today, but the fact we even have anything to hunt is pretty amazing really.
I have read all that stuff. So why do they want more data from animals that don’t book?

Drawing conclusions from antler size on the biggest deer is the same as making assumptions about the human race from measuring NFL player skulls.

Just to be clear, I have nothing against B&C or any of the fine folks who are official scorers. Measure away; probably the only place you can still use fractions.

I’m one of the old cranks who thinks data for the sake of more data is silly. Hoard ammo not data. :)

Last edited:
I have read all that stuff. So why do they want more data from animals that don’t book?

Drawing conclusions from antler size on the biggest deer is the same as making assumptions about the human race from measuring NFL player skulls.

Just to be clear, I have nothing against B&C or any of the fine folks who are official scorers. Measure away; probably the only place you can still use fractions.

I’m one of the old cranks who thinks data for the sake of more data is silly. Hoard ammo not data. :)
So blue?

You're A Whoreder?

IMG_3151.jpeg

yeah im aware of teddy and its history. question remains, what "cause" is being supported by submitting how big a skull my black bear has?

In the simplest terms, showing that trophy quality is stable indicates a healthy herd and counters the argument that hunting is hurting the health of the species. More entries might indicate a herd that is growing and indicate good management practices, or of course the converse if there are no trophies being entered.

B+C does not want data on trophies that don't make the book.

There is an awards book with slightly lower minimums to get a more detailed look at current harvest trends without waiting for decades to notice a change. Real time, short term data is still helpful.

I don't care if hunters enter their trophy or not. But making up **** to justify your decision isn't necessary. I clearly support B&C and P&Y and believe they are invaluable advocates for our hunting heritage. If you want to honor the animal you take that makes the book, then good for you. In my experience, most who say they won't enter their trophies have rarely if ever taken an animal that qualifies. I measure at least 10 for every 1 that meets the book minimum, and these are the trophies that the hunter thought would make the book. Despite all the hype, most areas produce very few book animals, and most hunters will never lay eyes on a book animal. I am happy to honor the animal that achieves true trophy size, and realize it is very unlikely my meager skills were more important than luck in encountering such a beast. YMMV.

Bill

B&C occasionally adjusts the minimum score, up or down, to make the book. Maybe that decision is based on gathered information over time.

In the simplest terms, showing that trophy quality is stable indicates a healthy herd and counters the argument that hunting is hurting the health of the species. More entries might indicate a herd that is growing and indicate good management practices, or of course the converse if there are no trophies being entered.

B+C does not want data on trophies that don't make the book.

There is an awards book with slightly lower minimums to get a more detailed look at current harvest trends without waiting for decades to notice a change. Real time, short term data is still helpful.

I don't care if hunters enter their trophy or not. But making up **** to justify your decision isn't necessary. I clearly support B&C and P&Y and believe they are invaluable advocates for our hunting heritage. If you want to honor the animal you take that makes the book, then good for you. In my experience, most who say they won't enter their trophies have rarely if ever taken an animal that qualifies. I measure at least 10 for every 1 that meets the book minimum, and these are the trophies that the hunter thought would make the book. Despite all the hype, most areas produce very few book animals, and most hunters will never lay eyes on a book animal. I am happy to honor the animal that achieves true trophy size, and realize it is very unlikely my meager skills were more important than luck in encountering such a beast. YMMV.

Bill
X 2. and 99% of the animals' guys " just don't want " entered in the book wouldn't qualify anyway. they can lie about the size and nobody can prove them wrong.

Net scores are important because the goal was to establish the best representative examples of species that were expected to be extinct by now. and it's still that way today because high standards are how you separate the best from the rest. and those who are butthurt by that are once again the ones who didn't measure up. literally.

Hey 440!

Can You Score & Enter Your Own Animals?:D

X 2. and 99% of the animals' guys " just don't want " entered in the book wouldn't qualify anyway. they can lie about the size and nobody can prove them wrong.

Net scores are important because the goal was to establish the best representative examples of species that were expected to be extinct by now. and it's still that way today because high standards are how you separate the best from the rest. and those who are butthurt by that are once again the ones who didn't measure up. literally.

No....he can not.......an om can measure their mother's, lover's, wife, boy friend, cell mate, anyone but their own.....

Hey Eel!

They Make You Take The B&C Oath!

When The Owner Of The Trophy Shows Up At The Scorers/ Measurers Place They Both Are Civil & Act Like Fellow Hunters/Sportsmen!

On Most Occasions The Owner Of Said Trophy Leaves The Scorers Place In A PISS POOR Mood!

How does a person become an om?

It's Always Amazed Me How Many Hunters That Have Hunted All Their Lives That Don't Have A Clue When It Comes To Scoring!

The Ones I Really Laugh At Is When Somebody Shoots A Fairly Wide Buck & They Just Know For Sure In Their Own Minds It's Gonna Score Way Up There & Make The Book!

Then Someone else Shoots A Narrower Buck That Scores Better And The Other Guy Is Mad & Screaming BS!

I Don't really Care About Scores!

I Think It's Neat We Have Record Books!

I'd Bet The Truth Be Known There'd Be A Few Less Entries In The Books If We Knew Some Of The BS That Went On To Get Them In The Books!

A Guy From B&C Called Me Prior To The SPIDER Bull Being Entered!

I Don't Remember His Name!

Somebody Through The GrapeVine Told Him/Them That I Might Know Something On The SPIDER Bull!

A Friend Of Mine Begged Me To Come Down Earlier In The Year/Fall the Fall SPIDER Got Shot!

He Had Him Located & I Wish I Woulda Went Down But I Didn't!

Anyway,I Told The Guy From B&C I Didn't Have Anything But HearSay About The SPIDER Bull!

But I Did Mention This To Him:

Show Me A Picture Of The SPIDER Bull When He Was A PISSCUTTER 350" Bull!

Show Me A Picture Of The SPIDER Bull When He Was A PISSCUTTER 380" Bull!

Show Me A Picture Of The SPIDER Bull When He Was A PISSCUTTER 450" Bull!

Show Me A Shed Antler Off The SPIDER Bull on Any Of Them Previous Years!

And Show Me Some Off-Spring From The SPIDER Bull!

A Few Years Later,One Of The Antler/SHED-HEADS Supposedly Come Up With Some Raghorn Sheds They Claimed Were Off The SPIDER Bull,WAFJ That Was!

Do I Or Have I Ever Bad Mouthed MOSSBACK Outfitters/Doyle?

No I Have Not!

I May Not Agree With Alot Of The BS That Goes On in This State But I Learned A Long Time Ago I/Average Joe Blow Hunters For The Most Part Are Not & Can Not Compete With The PRO'S That Do This For A Living!

Anytime There's An Animal Big Enough To Make The Books That Gets Harvested There's Gonna Be Alot Of BS That Comes With It!

Especially If It's A World Record!

EA, you have a lot of drama in your life. And some of the people you hang with seem a little sketch. The only scoring arguments I’ve ever seen were over doing fractions :ROFLMAO:

I had never scored anything before, a lot of people like to through numbers around, so I though I would find out what they really scored. I learned most people do not have a clue what they are talking about. I will now just shrug my shoulders at what others, who think they are experts have to say.
It will not change how I hunt or what animals I choose to make a stalk on.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom