Shed hunting

F

fyrfyter32

Hi fellow sportsmen! You guys are great. Glad I found this sight, thanks to good friend. I have a question, and no I do not want anyones honey holes as that would just be ridiculous. I would love some tips or tricks on how to start looking for sheds. deer, elk, or moose. I need to start getting out and putting my feet back into the woods after loosing my only hunting buddy on a trajic ATV accident,best friend, and my little brother. Its been tough. But my new friend has come along and has been a blessing to get back up on the horse I fell off of. Any tips, tricks, would be great. If not I understand. Best regards, Tim

spend time out locating bulls and bucks and thats where the sheds will be. no one is gonna give you a place to start looking, its likely taken them to long to find one, so your on your own. go out find where the animals winter during the shedding period and start hikin. not sure on moose but i believe they shed in dec. elk usually april ish deer february mostly. at least in my neck of the woods. so where the deeer are now and were last month is a good place to go look. were the elk are now and into next month look there. where the moose were a couple months ago look there. theres no real secret, just get out and look trial and error. ( find the bulls/bucks packin and keep an eye on them)

thanks theox. I know how private spots are. We all have them and in no way am i looking for info like that. Just general ideas that you gave were geat. thanks, Tim

The key to finding sheds is watching the deer and elk during prime "Shedding" season. Scouting is critical. So get out and find where the bucks and bulls are wintering, then watch them real close until you start seeing skin heads. At that point, you have a good spot to start looking around.
Good Luck

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom