Sheep Draw $$ Limit?

COSA

I'm not wealthy by any means and have a family. Where do you all draw the line applying for sheep tags. I am a reasident in NV so of course I apply in my own state. Colorado takes $1600+, but at least you get almost all the money back within a couple of months, Wyoming $7 for a point (probably 20 years before I draw). For me that's where the finacial line is drawn. I'd love to put in for Idaho, but $128 for 1:50 odds is tough to swallow. Where is your limit?

Perhaps if you work out a realistic plan financially..... You could put yourself in a position to be able to pay for a 2 week life once in a lifetime guided sheep hunt up in the Yukon or NWT for dall sheep (cheaper than Stone's) 10 years down the road or something like that. Something to work hard for or something.

Just an idea.

I have given a lot of thought to a backback Dall Hunt. It is hard to justify a $13-15,000 hunt (airfare, hunt, tip, taxidermiy, time off of work) especially when we are trying to buy a new house in this crazy market out west. I'm fairly young, so I've got to bide my time. I have a supportive and enthusiastic wife, but I know our limits. Just wondering where other's limits were, and weather to fork out the $$ to Idaho. Especially since it seems like I end up hunting there every other year when I do not draw a tag.

GO AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!!!!!!
The price of guided hunts have been spiraling out of control!
They have been increasing by about $1000 per year!
It wasn't long ago you could get a Dall Sheep hunt for $5,000-$6,000 that price has doubled in the last ten or so years!
A friend of mine has two BIG stone sheep,at the time he paid $10,000 for the hunts.I thought that was a lot of money back then! You are looking at $18,000 - $20,000 now!!!!!!!!!!!!
It is really getting ugly!

Well, I would pay more for a sheep tag than I would pay for a car or truck. But then again, I have never paid more than $2000 for a vehicle........ I did apply in NM this year as now you do not have to front the money.

I'll go to russia before I hunt sheep here. The outfitters are way to greedy. $20,000 for a frickn stone sheep. You can shoot TWO in russia for half that...

For those of you Americans who want a Stone's sheep ram had better decide quick.

The outfitters are going to see their Stone's sheep quotas reduced in the next year or two ........ so in effect, it will drive the price of a Stone's sheep hunt up as the demand will be greater by those wanting one.

That in turn will turn many hunters to Russia to hunt sheep instead and as a result, the prices will start increasing over there when the demand rises.

COSA,

Of course I put in for every sheep tag I can in Nevada. I also have been putting in for Oregon and may go for Idaho this year. There are no "points" in either state which means when you first start it's good for you because you are on the same footing as everyone else. Of course that also means later on it's not so good "because you are on the same footing as everyone else". But I am also building points in Oregon for deer for another $4.50. So putting in for sheep is nearly a no additional cost thing. License in Oregon is around 80 bucks and there are no refunds. You're right on Idaho, the nonrefundable $128 is a tough pill to swallow but having to fork over the $1500+ during the draw is also tough. You can use a credit card but they do charge your card AND they nick you 3% which is over $45. But my son is in Idaho and I could go hunt deer, elk or bear there with him on that license.

I'm also considering Montana but wish I had started earlier as now I'm behind on points. But the area I want to hunt has not always had non resident tags so I didn't always want a tag there.

My criteria for what I apply for is more based on distance from home and can I do it myself (no guide). I think I could do Oregon for California sheep myself. Same in Idaho. I have friends and family in both places that could help. Montana, the one area I want is in my father-in-law's back yard so same deal there even though it's a lot farther from home.

I doubt I will ever get to go after Stone or Dall unless I win the lottery (and I don't play that) or win a raffle hunt. Much as I'd like to complete my slam I'm OK with the fact that I likely never will. I'd rather hope to get lucky in one of these other do-it-myself states and maybe draw another tag in Nevada sometime in my lifetime and call it good knowing I didn't put my family in a hardship financially chasing my dream. I personally know people who have drawan tags in Oregon, Idaho and Montana so I know if it's your lucky day, and someday it may be mine, you could conceivably draw.

If you are buying the Idaho license to hunt deer and you can scrape up the $1500+ for a couple months to loan them through the app process then maybe you should consider it.

Don't want to rub it in, but I made my 1st sheep hunt for a Stone in the late 70's and paid $$3500 for a 15 day mixed bag hunt. Thought it was pricy at the time but was one of the best decisions I ever made. Don't think I'm smart, it just plane blind dum luck. I've made my share of dums that have cost me thousnds. Wish I had some of those back to use on hunts now.....LOL. I guess the moral is to do it now, you never get those days back. Hand in there, I'm a firm believer that good things happen to good people.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Right now my limit is $153.25, or the cost of a resident tag here in Colorado. And if I ever draw, I have a feeling that its gonna be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, just to do it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom