Shipping cost for elk meat/horns

Bolt Tripper

Has anyone had an elk butchered and shipped back home? If so, how much did you spend on the shipping? Not the actual processing.

Also, if anyone has any cost ideas on shipping the horns back that would be very useful

Well shipping is gonna depend on where exactly home is....But if I remember right, some of the clients I used to guide that were from the east were paying somewhere around 800ish to ship a bull back home. That is just meat, horns would be another process of getting a taxidermist to build a box for them to be sent in most likely. Honestly, A lot of the clients i guided in my last years guiding were driving all the way from the far east coast etc...because the cost of gas was gonna be less than shipping an elk back home.

I shipped a small 4x5 rack from Colorado to Pa. I Made the smallest box possible to fit it. Cost a little over $200. I can't imagine the cost of a big elk and the meat. I now drive my truck if I am hunting elk, regardless how long it takes. The meat is too good to donate and the savings on travel and shipping alone are worth it in my opinion.

Six years ago I shipped the butchered and vac packed meat from a bull moose. All the meat. Shipped for a hunting client that I guided here in Maine to his Denver area home. Two night shipping ...about $2,000.00 rings a bell with me. European mount of the bull was extra. Not sure what that cost. In 1999 I did same from Maine to Michigan. Client insisted on "one night" shipping. With rack, cape, and all meat it was about $1,800.00, back in '99. Lotta gas at those prices. I would drive anywhere in lower 48 if I thought I was going to keep all the meat. Have fun

We shipped a friends bull elk rack back to Houston Texas from Idaho a few years back. The airline wanted $150 extra for the antlers, it had to be braced, skull wrapped, and have padding on each point.

We checked with UPS store, and to build a box, package with foam peanuts, at padding to the points, and ship freight with fuel surcharge to his house was $250.

We returned to airport when it was ready, and off he went with it in the cargo hold.

Nothing is cheap anymore. :(

You can use the UPS calculator on line to determine the shipping cost. But meat will need to go next day delivery and from the Rocky Mountains to the East Coast will probably be $1,200 to $1,300 for 200 lbs of meat.

If you ship antlers you can split the skull plate and ship UPS ground. Maybe less than $100 if you provide the box.

I shipped some mule deer antlers a few years ago and I think it was about $35 for the shipping and $35 for them to provide the box. I did wrap the skull plate in some plastic to keep the smell down.

Alpine Wyoming had about 800 residents, 5 bars, one with strippers on Saturday night and a UPS store. If you can figure that one out.

Use the cardboard boxes with styrofoam liners like used in shipping lobsters. If the meat is frozen, "two night" shipping works fine. Done that a few times including Maine to Oregon, and Maine to Nevada. No problem, and "two night" shipping will save over "one night".

Bring it back with you on the plane. Ship your gear/clothes via ground and checkin a few coolers of meat. Way cheaper, even if they charge you the extra baggage fee.

I brought my elk home from UT on the plane in 50# boxes for extra baggage charge. Was not that bad. The antlers (horns are on sheep) I shipped ups for $210. I did not box them. Just wrapped the points with Styrofoam stuff you put on pipes. Arrived safe and sound.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom