Side bar???

alp75

Very Active Member
How many guys out there use a side bar (counter balance) and how do you like it and why. Please explain the advantages.

How goes it,
For me personally, based on my set-up...a side-rod is pretty key to achieving proper balance, which then eventually translates into better form and therefore more consistent and accurate shooting. Currently I'm shooting a 2011 Hoyt 'Carbon Matrix Plus', the 2011 model isn't like the CRX's/Vector's/Elements, etc. that have an off-set bushing built into the riser...allowing your stabilizer to mount slightly to the left. The carbon riser is so light that even the weight of my dovetail & sight on the right side of my bow WITHOUT the quiver mounted (but especially with it on), is still enough to throw the balance out of whack and for me the best way to fix this is by adding a side-rod...yet at the same time it's also kind of a paradox because taking into account the extra weight of the bracket, eye-bolt and stab essentially adds back on what mass I would've essentially been saving in theory by deciding to shoot the carbon bow versus the aluminum bow to begin with.

With all of that said, do I think a side-rod is a necessity...no of course not, obviously it's not going to be the one singular factor that determines whether or not my bow will shoot or not in a hunting situation...but more so just like with anything else, it's all about personal preference & comfort. Some of us mount our quivers on an angle or closer to the riser than others, some of us use a heavier stabilizer than others, some of us extend our sight-bar's further than others...all of these things are details and adjustments we make in order to "tailor" our bows to us, and in my opinion choosing to use a side-rod is no different. Below I've posted a photo from a recent 3D shoot, due to the angle it's tough to see my side-rod but it's there...and as far as I can tell, it looks like it's helping me out for the better.

2012-06-23_19-31-54_171-1.jpg

I use one on my target bow for spot shooting, but have not made the switch on my hunting bow. the benifites are they can help in reduceing some of the natural tourqe the bow has when the bow is shot. it can also help offset the natral out of level grip you have on your bow by changeing the natral balance left to right. its real noticiable with my 41 ata target bow. by being level more natraly your shots at longer ranges tend not to walk left or right.

disavantages are weight, and something else to catch on brush and ding on branches. my target stabilizer is a 35" with 7 ounces of wieght, my v bar is 12" with 10 oz of weight.
my hunting stab is 10.25 inches with 5 0z wieght on the end

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-12 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]Nothing better than shooting with a properly ballanced rig. The only problem with doing it to a hunting set up for me is, adds weight, wont sit on the top of my pack as good. Makes your bow take up more space in the brush. It will shoot better with one though. I believe it has to be larger or heiver then the one posted above though for it to work properly.

>Stop being a jackass and get
>one :).... I love my
>B-Stingers!!!!!
>
>
7982aarons_bow.jpg

Mine looks just like that, but has the 8" side bar and is mounted on an Element. They are great and very adjustable allowing you to fine tune the balance.

Just installed mine last night and went out and shot it this morning. Can't believe the immediate difference it made. My groups immediately tightened up and I don't even have to look at my level anymore. AWESOME!

>Dont get too used to not
>looking at your bubble. It
>will bite you on the
>hill later
>
>

+1!!

I'm not going to recommend what I do but it works for me...I practice with a stabilizer/sidekick and hunt without it. I look at my bubble every single shot no matter what...

~Z~

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom