sitka ascent pants...not durable

cabinfever

Very Active Member
I took the plunge a few years ago and bought the complete line of sitka gear. The overall fit, finish, and breathability is exceptional....and it's light too.Durability has been pretty good too, with the exception of the ascent pants. Don't get me wrong, these pants are everything I mentioned above, and I prefer them over most other pants, however, they are not the best choice for hunting brush country and more especially scrub oak. The first year I used these pants, I got a few tears. I sent them back and was immediately sent a new pair. I used these this year on a deer hunt in Southern Utah and after 5 days of hunting scrub oak country, the bottom of the pant legs looked like they had been through a paper shredder. My brother had the same experience only this time, rather than replace them with new ones, they sowed in a patch on his and last week when I talked to sitka I was informed they were doing the same thing with mine. Although the patch serves it's function, I think thats very poor customer service for $120 pants. At $50 less I have found the microtex pant by cabelas to be a much better option in terms of durability.

wapitiBob

I think the pants are more suited for country above oak brush elevation. I also would not reccomend them in the alders of AK.

Wait as minute, you sent a pair of Ascent Pants back to Sitka because you tore them on a hunt?

I have several pair of the Ascent Pants and after 50 plus outings in them they certainly don't look new but they have stood up very well especially considering the rugged Arizona terrain I frequent. Fact is they have done better than any other Schoeller cloth type pant I have tested. They are not designed nor are they advertised as briarproof or brush busters so why would you hold Sitka responsable for your misuse?

Using that criteria I should have sent mine back because on a recent alpine trip I caught a crampon tip on the inside pants leg and tore them. Sitkas fault, right? Wrong. My fault.

$120 is not for the Carhartt/Arbor Wear bullet proof heavy duty cotton canvas or Cordura characterisitics, it is for the high tech, lightweight, stretchy, wicking, water resistance qualities and design.

Based on my field trials, the Sitka Gear Ascent Pants are very durable when used correctly.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Your a real piece of work Wade.I honestly wonder if you test any of the your equipment beyond your back yard.It's certainly evident you avoid hunting heavy brush.

If clothing or any other piece of hunting equipment can't stand up to abuse it aint worth the money.Period! A crampon tip is a lot different than brush.That's user error!If a pant dertermines where I can and can not hunt, than I won't wear it.I have worn my cabelas microtex pants through the same terrain without a single tear. I guess that I'm crazy to expect a $120 pant to be durable. Like I said in my last post, the ascent pants are alot of things, but durable aint one of them.

"And this comment is laughable!"

"Based on my field trials, the Sitka Gear Ascent Pants are very durable when used correctly."

Please eloborate on "when used correctly" oh wise one!

Pretty obvious as soon as you take them out of the package that the Ascent is a lightweight pant. Anyone expecting them to wear like the much heavier, thicker, hotter and more restrictive offerings from Carhartt, Filson, Arborwear, Deluth or even Wrangler etc busting through the likes of wait-a-minutes, cat claw and manzanita is either foolish or lacking in experience. Not sure which applies here.

By the way, we also wear the Microtex (both weights) and they offer no appreciable advantage over the Acents. In fact, after looking at both products the Acents seem to be in better shape even though I have used them more.

From the Sitka Gear site. "Like the Ascent Jacket, the pant offers maximum breathability and mobility." "...this pant is for the hunter on the move."

Sitka does not tout this product as diamond plate, Inyatti tough. They don't even use terms like hard use or heavy duty because that is not what they are designed for. You should have recognized that before you ever left the house but you used them anyway, trash them as not durable when they tear and then have the gull to return them expecting a replacement or refund, which they did and you still ding them here with a dedicated post. If I were Sitka, I would have told you and all the other spoiled, prima donna, delusional, return policy abusing consumers out there to pound sand. You bought them, misused them and damaged them. They are yours for good.

The customer is not always right. In fact, many times they are dead wrong and just plain stupid in their use of products yet they always point the finger at someone else, usually the deep pocket, PR conscious manufacturer and expect them to eat it for the sake of good customer service. In practice they have created an entire high maintainance, whining class in the market. REI memebership rolls are filled with them. You really should be griping to yourself about the price because a good part of that $120 goes towards covering returns of misused products.

I will keep wearing my Acents, in the back yard and beyond, when it makes sense and enjoying them as a great product and good value. I accept their limitations because I know that there is no NASA inspired super fabric that is both lightweight/highly breathable/high mobility and briarproof.

Might I suggest a nice pair of Filson Double Tin Chaps.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Wow Wade! Your postes truely are laughable. How dare me, or anyone else demand durability in an expensive product.Shame on us.

You need to re-read my initial post. I did not ding sitka as you suggest. My post begin with nothing but praise for their other clothing pieces. I simply stated the facts that their ascent pants are not durable in brush country. End of story!

Sounds like you put in a lot of extra miles going around brush being ever so careful not to tear or snag your ascent pants.I'll bet it's very entertaining to the guy across the canyon watching you through his spotting scope. You truly are an asset to MM as you extensively test these products at the mall and in your back yard so hunters everywhere can read your reveiews and have a true grasp of what a quality product is.

The title of your December 13 post is "sitka ascent pants...not durable". Oh no, that isn't negative at all. I am sure Sitka will sell a lot of product with that glowing testimonial.

On the very same day in the very same forum in a consecutive post you also take a swipe Lowa with the mysterious collapsing Tibet GTX boot toe incident in which you returned a year old used product and got a brand new pair out of it. In fact, they upgraded you to a more expensive boot. Honest consumers certainly deserve a fair deal, quality products and the strong backing of reputable companys but I don't think it is the products in this case, I think it is you. Smells to me like another taker gamming the system taking advantage of otherwise solid companys.

Reminds me of women who purchase expensive gowns from Nordstroms for formals and then return them the next day complaining that they just didn't fit right while demanding a refund or the guy that cleans his plate but complains bitterrly to the restaurant Manager that his steak was burnt. Chronic complainers and serial returners are not good for any of us and I don't mind calling them out at all.

My "backyard" consists of the Bradshaws, Mazatzals, Superstitions, Four Peaks, Sierra Anchas, Mogollon Rim etc etc and is some of the toughest, nastiest country in the lower 48. It serves as a fantastic environment to evaluate gear but you don't believe we do what I say we do. You think I am hanging out in the malls, photo shopping my pics and making all those stories up. Actually, that is not a bad idea. Sure would save me a lot of money, and wear and tear on the truck but then guys like you would be the only ones that read my stuff in which case I would rather stop writing altogether.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

The purpose of these forums is to share information and experience with fellow hunters about the gear we use.Consequently, you have a real problem with facts that contradict your reviews. Apparently, you have your head shoved so far up some of these companies a$$es that if a member has an experience contrary to yours you call them out on it.Case in point; the post by BPKhunter on ground pads. The guy simply stated his experience and you called him out on it. Here is his reply:

"Hey Wade the tone of your response to my post seems like your are calling me out a bit. That's kind of silly given the nature of the post, we aren't talking politics, religion, or even football. Let me clarify that I am speaking about the FACTS of my experience with this product. 3 seperate Pro-lite's, two reg length and one 3/4 length, all 3/4". Never even used one more than 3-4 times. Never used on any surface but my back packing tent. Two pin hole and one seam leak to be exact. Even worse is that before they leaked, on most nights the 3/4" thickness was not enough to offset the cold air deflation that left you feeling the rocks. I have two of the folding Z-lite pads I use mostly for sitting on while i glass, but they are very very light, durable, and economical and I recommend them to all my friends. I considered trying the Thermarest Neoair, but the cost did not seem warranted and there where too many feedback sources that commented on the seams giving way. SO, are you doubting that I am stating my honest opinion, because you have a habit of starting arguements over these kinds of things. All you had to do is state your opinion about your experience. It's funny because if you read your post it sounds like you are saying I was exaggerating, but if you and your MANY friends have never had a leak in 20+ years of use, when as you clearly stated, these things are all subject to leaks, that doesn't seem logical now does it, especially in prickly thorny areas instead of in my tent.
Next time feel free to state your opinion and avoid stepping on mine unless you have a good reason."

As for Lowa, I encourage you to do a search through the archives.With the exception of yourself, you will likely not find another person who has given more praise to Lowa than me.

At the end of the day, it sounds like no one else hunts or hikes as hard as you or has the nastiest country in their back yard as you do, so how could they possibly give sound advice on the gear they use.

Wade may be done, but I'll pick up where he left off. Cabinfever, you are a prime example of the type of guy who ruins good customer service from companies like Sitka, Cabela's, etc.
Cabela's used to take returns/exchanges with no questions asked. Guys took advantage of it and started sending stuff back that was 3 yrs old and used extensively. Apparently, Cabela's was responsible for them putting a hole in the waders that they wore for three years. Now, Cabela's has had to put restrictions on the timeline and reason for returns. It's still pretty liberal but will certainly become more prohibitive in the future as long as there's guys like you who take advantage and abuse the system.
I own two pairs of Ascent pants. One of them has a hole where I caught it on barbed wire shortly after I bought them. Guess I should have sent them back because apparently that was Sitka's fault. But I'm an honest and reasonable guy and realize that, while Sitka provides a great product and great customer service, they also run a business and they never contended that their pants were bombproof or barbed wire-proof. It was my fault, as is any wear and tear that you put on an article of clothing. It's FABRIC for christ sake--not iron.
Quit being a crybaby. If you want more durable clothing, buy Carrhart's and leave the Sitka gear for those of us who apparently don't abuse our stuff as much as you.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-10 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]No chip on my shoulder Wade, just the facts.

Speaking of the facts, you said the following about Schoeller cloth and sitka ascent pants:

"Fact is they have done better than any other Schoeller cloth type pant I have tested. They are not designed nor are they advertised as briarproof or brush busters."

There you have it folks! Scholler cloth is not briarproof or brushproof, yet Wade describes on his website that Schoeller cloth is "tough as hell." Here is the quote directly from his website:

"Find an REI and ask somebody to show you something made out of Schoeller cloth. It comes in several different configurations and thicknesses but all of it is tough as hell."

It seems they are not "tough as hell" in brush country.That was the whole point of this post, and you blasted me for sharing the facts.I didn't mince words with the Sitka rep. I told him the damage was caused by hunting in scrub oak and he said the pants should hold up well in those conditions and apologized that they hadn't. So it seems you and the Sitka warranty rep have a different view of the ascent pants durability in brush.

When you say "tough as hell", I imagine a product that will stand up to the alder snags of the alaskan frontier, the scrubby oak brush of southern Utah, and the wind blow'n pine of the Colorado Rockies. When I hunt, I'm more concerned about keeping the wind in my face than I am about being careful not to snag my pants on the habitat I happen to be hunting in.

Might I suggest you get off the groomed trails and really test the equipment you are reviewing.

Mallards_only

I never sent back a product that was 3 years old. The pants were new and after the first outing they had several little tears.Than I had the same experience with the 2nd new pair. It's one thing to wear out a product and than return it. I didn't do that. I returned a like new product.

My sitka mountain pants that are now the ascent pants I believe are 3 years old now and taken a severe beating. I have used them in all 3 conditions that you just described and they have held up better than I even expected them to. I trusted them enough to then let my friend borrow them on his Alaska sheep hunt and he returned them looking the same as I gave them. Not trying to discredit your experience with them, just sharing another view of them. The only holes I have in them are from fire sparks. That is one thing you have to be careful with the Sitka gear, they melt big time even if a spark from the fire hits them.

I'm not getting into the fray but I will say that IMO any pant that is sold as a hunting pant should be durable enough to withstand anything short of barbed wire and all but the toughest of thorns.I had some pants shred on me while riding horseback through alders in the Yukon and it was a real pi$$er to put it mildly. Why would anyone take the chance that their pants might not hold up? They should be at least as tough as blue jeans. Backcountry hunting is not croquet on the lawn,after all.

I also agree. I would be pissed to. I have the new ascent pants as well and I can see after wearing them for a few days hunting in sage brush and scrub that they are starting to pull apart on the legs. Even though they are lighweight and comfy so are my $40 Kings camo pants and I have been wearing them for 4 yrs and look less worn than the ascent. I am not saying that Sitka sucks because I have a lot of gear from them, but the ascent pants aren't worth the $$$ spent IMO.

I don't see why you guys are bashing on him just becuase he is giving people a heads up about the pants. If they don't want to replace or fix them then I guess they shouldn't have a warrenty like that. That's one of the reasons that I paid so much for the Sitka stuff just like my Swarovski's so that if I do have a problem I know I will be taken care of. If I had paid $10 for the pants I wouldn't expect much from them, but when your dropping $150 on a pair I expect more from them.

So thanks for the review you posted. I appreciate the honesty.

Let the bashing begin!

jarhead

Marley
It's my understanding that the, ascent pants are not the same as the mountain pant.Here is Sitkas description of the mountain pant that I pulled of their website:

"Taking the Ascent Pant to the next level, the new Mountain Pant adds on more features, more aggressive patterning, and more durable fabric. With the guide and hardcore user in mind, we've included removable knee pads for stalking, a low profile built in webbing belt that fits underneath your pack?s hip belt, and full size cargo and thigh pockets. For the extended back country trek or the professional hunter, this is your go-to pant"

I may give the mountain pant a try since it has a lot of the same features as the ascent pant but with more durable fabric.

This thread is something else. Cabin - you say so yourself in your first post that Sitka Ascent pants are not "the best choice for hunting brush country and more especially scrub oak." My question is - why did you buy them in the first place? Couldn't you tell at the store that your weren't holding a pair of pants that would hold up to your style of hunting, especially if that style is beating the brush? Sometimes we as consumers need to take some responsibility for what he buy and use some judgment before we plunk down our money. Your argument seems to be because the pants are expensive they should be able to handle anything you want to do in them - and Sitka should stand by them no matter what I do in them. That is simply not realistic approach to consumerism and customer service.

For example: Would Toyota or any other truck maker, cover, standby, or replace the under carriage/frame of a truck that is damaged bouncing over rocks while rock crawling, even though it is under warranty? No, and for good reason. So why would you expect the same from Sitka. As Wade points out, its all about intended use and actual use that goes beyond intended use. I'm sure Sitka is more than willing to stand by its products if there is a problem with workmanship or it fails during "normal wear and tear", but your asking too much for them to stand by their products as you intentionally and willingly abuse them. Just my .02.

Bman9900

Were not talking about scaling razor wire at the state prison were taking about hunting in native habitat.Apparently we have different ideas of what abuse is.

>What do you mean starting to
>pull apart on the legs?
>
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

There is a bunch of the fabric that is pulling out from the pants. Like little loops of material all over. I am not saying they are trashed , but they look a lot more worn than half a season.

I could be wrong but I think when I bought my "mountain pants" 4 years ago they were more like the Ascent pant now. Thin, lightweight. The mountain pants now seem alot more durable than the older mountain pants. I do have the 90% pant as well and they are definately my go to pants. More durable, will shed the rain (not a downpour) and a little more warmth for that early morning temp. I don't see why there is crap flung at cabin either, everyones experience with a certain product is going to be different. Good to hear reviews though, good or bad. The Ascent pants have their place just as the others, that's why they make several different choices.

>Those are just picks or runs
>and that is common with
>these kinds of synthetics.
>Mine have that too but
>it is just cosmetic.
>Functionally it is irrelavant.
>
>Wade
>www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Yes that is very true. I was impressed when I went over a fence and got cought on the barbwire there was only a small hole and I could barely find it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom