Skull fissures

HIcountryman

Very Active Member
Any you biologist-types know much about skull fissures? Do they indicate age or more general health/robustness? Check out these skull fissures. It would seem the white skull would be oldest... but skullcap buck has most pronounced fissures. Any thoughts?

98634p20190220164030hdr.jpg

93406p20190220164303hdr.jpg

In humans those are called sutural bones. They ossify during the first 18 months of life, are responsible for the ablility of the head to conform to the shape of the birth canal during labor. I would assume that in deer the purpose of them is the same. Not sure why some are more pronounced compared to others. Genetics?

}}-SLIVER-->

This is not scientific by any means, but in the 5 or 6 deer I have done Euros on, the younger the deer the more pronounced the fissures.

I assumed it was from where the skull grows together when they are young as mentioned above and on younger deer the gaps are still filling? I did a 1 and half year old deer of my buddies because it was his first and those fissures were extremely pronounced. A lot more than any of the other bucks. The bucks I have done euros on ranged anywhere in age from 1 1/2 to 6 1/2.

I've always thought they were pretty cool, whatever it is! Do you have any actual ages on any of the bucks?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-21-19 AT 09:30AM (MST)[p]"Any idea of what they could be indicative of Tri?"

A healthy normal deer skull.

In humans, bone is deposited at the suture lines as growth occurs with complete ossification occurring somewhere near post puberty. As this occurs, the fissures become less pronounced over time as the bone fills in. Fissures remain, but are less convoluted with age. Regardless, genetics plays a role for sure, but the aforementioned applies as well.

Cheers- Dave

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom