So...As Not To Be Wasteful...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...we added to the leftover batter from the fried pollock & submerged a goodly bunch of shrimp in it to fry in the saved oil. It was akin to the ol' "kill two fish with one frying pan" adage. Some fries & a fresh ear served as sides. The crispy shrimp were even better than the fish.

batteredshrimp.JPG

batteredshrimp2.JPG

Funny what you remember. I was trained by my Dad to fry veggies first, then shrimp, and fish twice before throwing out the oil. Never keep it more than 30 days!!

Funny what you remember. I was trained by my Dad to fry veggies first, then shrimp, and fish twice before throwing out the oil. Never keep it more than 30 days!!
I don't think the 30 days is relevant to the newer veggie oils. We generally use ours in the deep fryer until it gets sorta dark colored i.e. 'burnt,' but we mostly use the fryer for potatoes. Obviously, that depends more on usage rather than time.

We keep the frying pan stuff for fish-flavor stuff separate in a plastic container in the fridge & sometimes run it through a sieve to strain out bits of batter, etc. But each time it gets used, more of it disappears. So the life is a couple weeks or so.

Last edited:
I don't think the 30 days is relevant to the newer veggie oils. We generally use our in the deep fryer until it gets sorta dark colored i.e. 'burnt,' but we mostly use the fryer for potatoes. Obviously, that depends more on usuage rather than time.

We keep the frying pan stuff for fish-flavor stuff separate in a plastic container in the fridge & sometimes run it through a sieve to strain out bits of batter, etc. But each time it gets used, more of it disappears. So the life is a couple weeks or so.
Both are worth while information to share. I’ve wondered about that for years. My wife make me discard it after a single use...... make deep frying too expensive. I’m going do battle over it now that I have certified knowledge from the two best chefs on the network.

You both would need to be expecting to hear from her soon!

Last edited:
Both are worth while information to share. I’ve wondered about that for years. My wife make me discard it after a single use...... make deep frying too expensive. I’m going do battle over it now that I have certified knowledge from the two best chefs on the network.

You may bother be expecting to hear from her soon!
It's about the same as the oil in your vehicles. A pertroleum engineer once told me the oil doesn't "wear out,." It's the contaminants & dirt that cause the problems. When my dad owned service stations over 30+ years, he sold "reclaimed" oil that been collected & reprocessed. Price was about 1/3 of the cost of new. It was a favorite of more than a few guys who were unintentionally annihilating the mosquito population. They went through oil like some guys go through beer. ;)

Last edited:
? Ha, thanks ODW, but......... don’t believe I’ll use that argument on her. Not sure she’d tolerate the comparison, all be it, we all know you’re perfectly correct. I’m afraid she wouldn’t allow me to come here and play anymore.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom