Southwest Desert Deer

jsc

I am looking for some general advise on this unit for deer. I put in for deer on this unit as I expected to draw a LE elk tag with my points, and I hoped to be able to hunt both while I was there. I was surprised when I drew the deer without points, but missed out on the elk tag. I see that it is a large area and have heard that there are not many deer on this unit and they can be difficult to locate. If anyone would be willing to give some tips for hunting deer on this unit or general pointers on where to start scouting it would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jsc

My brother always like hunting around the Mountain Home area. He had ok success and before he passed away he had taken 2 really nice bucks there. I think the last one was in 2001, He died in 2003

Sorry for the loss of your brother. I believe that mountain range is on the northern portion of the unit. I will have to check it out. Thanks for your advise.

My buddy and I also drew this tag this year, so we will be out and about like you. I have hunted it 3-4 years ago when it was just part of the Southern Unit. Not many folks there then and lots of horses where I was. Good deer and elk numbers but I ended up eating the tag after 4 days. Biggest buck was a 3x4 nice and wide but not what I was looking for so cut the hunt short to help a buddy on a sheep hunt in NV.

Not sure where I will focus my hunt efforts this fall, Lets keep in touch and if I can help point you in a direction will do so gladly.
bp

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom