Steak & stuff...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...last night with a new addition to my menu -- Brussel sprouts. I haven't eaten them since the first time I tasted them 65+ years ago. Of course, my mother who was a terrible cook made them then; I should have known better. :cool:

I found what sounded like a good recipe for the sprouts, and they turned out really tasty. I became a fan. And I have the recipe saved in case anyone wants to try it.

So I gnawed on a rib steak with peppercorn sauce, leftover scalloped potatoes & slaw, the sprouts & a piece of warm bannock with butter.

steaksprouts.JPG

steaksprouts2.JPG

Looks good! Pleas post recipe as I hate Brussel sprouts
So did I. These were great.

I had to cut the ingredients proportionally (1/2?) for the amount I made. This is the full recipe, tho.

Ingredients

1½ pounds fresh Brussels sprouts
8 slices bacon
1 teaspoon butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, chopped
½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons butter

Step 1
Cut an 'X' in the core end of each Brussels sprout. Set sprouts aside.

Step 2
Place bacon in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned & crisp, about 10-12 minutes; drain and cool on paper towels. Crumble.

Step 3
Heat 1 teaspoon butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir garlic until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts; toss to coat. Stir in broth, salt, and black pepper; cover and cook until Brussels sprouts are tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Drain liquid from pan.

Step 4
Stir remaining 2 teaspoons butter into Brussels sprouts mixture until melted. Mix in bacon and serve.

I've always liked Brussel sprouts, but my wife hates them. If I ask her to buy me some, she tells me no, because I hate them. I just don't remember that I hate them. Okay dear, whatever you say. We both hate Brussel sprouts now. The truth is she can't even stand the smell of them cooking, so she says I hate them.

Men and women weren't meant to live together.

I'm in the "I Hate Brussel Sprouts" club, and it's funny because I love cabbage in any form. Some thing in the taste, or my saliva glands reaction just makes them disgusting, and I gag. You guys can have mine!!!

Well, I suggest all the haters, as I was, give them a try with this recipe. Then if they still don't taste good, feed what's left to the dogs. :)

I’ve always liked Brussels Sprouts and your recipe sounds great. I would cut the spouts in half and sear them with the garlic and even add a little bacon grease

We have a really great bistro type restaurant close to us, and one of their specials for breakfast is Eggs Benedict and seared Brussel sprouts. The first time I ordered it, I just asked her to leave off the sprouts. She answered back "Not a fan huh, how about I just give you double bacon on the side then??" Hello!!!

One of the things I have done for most of my life has been to always taste things before I say, "Yuk. I don't like that (them)." That includes trying something when it is cooked different than I had tried before, etc.

My wife is just the opposite, though I have gotten her to eat some stuff over the 60+ yrs. we've been together. Calamari is one but she still won't eat the legs part. I even got her to taste my shrimp ceviche last week. I just had to convince her it was no longer 'raw.' so to speak, & she liked it.

As for me, I now eat a lot of things I never would in the past, mostly due to my mom's cooking. I should note that it wasn't her fault entirely; my dad would not eat anything with an onion or garlic flavor. So it was a lot of 'blah' dishes. A few items I chew on now are squash, cooked cabbage (always liked slaw), pumpkin pie, eggplant and more. Others I have tried and/or retried but still haven't found a way I like are broccoli, rutabaga, okra, cauliflower, cucumbers (love every type of pickle, tho!), & peas.

And of course, I realize this is weird for a guy who eats tripe, chicken feet/gizzards & raw clams/oysters. :ROFLMAO: But I grew up eating the cooked stuff in grandma's cooking.

The funny part with the sprouts was they were my suggestion because it had been so long since I had eaten them. So I searched for a recipe that looked good, & we bought a small quantity to try. It's probably both the bacon & chicken broth that makes it decent. They were also lot more tender than I expected.

There are no other foods in this world that I refuse to eat, or even try, except Brussels. I love all sorts of new stuff over in Asia and Africa. I tried them in my teens, 20's, 40's and even as recently as my 60's. I almost threw up in the restaurant, my reaction is so bad with them. Never again!

Mostly red meat, game & chicken for me... no-one ever said hmm that smells fishy. Negative on the sprouts

I always refused to eat hummus, even though I don’t dislike garbanzos/chick peas. We went to Israel and Jordan last year and decided it wasn’t that bad if it’s spiced up. Kinda like your sprouts. Now tofu…….nope. Gag !!!!!

I always refused to eat hummus, even though I don’t dislike garbanzos/chick peas. We went to Israel and Jordan last year and decided it wasn’t that bad if it’s spiced up. Kinda like your sprouts. Now tofu…….nope. Gag !!!!!
The only tofu I ever ate was in a veggie burger. Tho I would never choose it over a good beef burger, it wasn't too bad. Never had hummus.

So coincidentally yesterday someone posted the image below in one of the FB cooking groups I follow. I thought they looked like sprouts, so I asked. Affirmative, with balsamic vinegar. They don't look so appetizing to me. :rolleyes:

1646922611436.png

Yeah, a Panko chicken breast and loaded sweet potato would have disappeared quickly, and those other things would still be sitting there!

He didn't say & I didn't ask., but the 'meaty' thing is likely some type of fish filet. The name of the group is Cooking & Fishing.

That's actually a really nice tender flaky white meat. Ate them in Baja a lot. And the little bast*rds are hard to catch, little mouth, sharp teeth, and fast!

Well the new saying goes is, Joe Biden has surpassed Brussels sprouts as the most hated vegetable in the US. Lol.

That said, I love ‘em! Mom used to steam them then we would sprinkle a little salt and vinegar on them. Yum!

Had them similar to the posted recipe and they are great. Thanks for posting that.

I can hack Brussels Sprouts but don't care for them. I agree with Trix as I hate Hummus. Hummus and Liver are the only two things I can think of that I won't eat.

That's actually a really nice tender flaky white meat. Ate them in Baja a lot. And the little bast*rds are hard to catch, little mouth, sharp teeth, and fast!
We caught lots surfing at Puerto Lobos, mostly on 1 oz. silver Kastmasters.

This is my youngest fishing from the beach there circa late 1960s. His mother told him not to get too close to the water.

kids8.jpg

Went to dinner with a friend and his new YOUNG wife. Many years ago. When it was time to order she announced that she was vegan, so I ordered liver and onions. I enjoyed my dinner!

Went to dinner with a friend and his new YOUNG wife. Many years ago. When it was time to order she announced that she was vegan, so I ordered liver and onions. I enjoyed my dinner!
Reminds of the time many years ago when we invited a couple on our bowling team over for dinner. I didn't know the gal was an animal rights person until she looked thru the door of my trophy room. I could swear she peed her pants. Needless to say, we didn't talk about hunting over dinner, which happened to be lasagna. Prime rib or ham might have been a bit much for her.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom