Steak

SS!

Long Time Member
Nothing beats a good beef steak but this moose came pretty close. Made dall sheep tacos for the kiddos, wife and I had moose steak and leftover rice from the burritos yesterday.

0D3858DC-9DC7-4F39-AB33-288D18E3D02C.jpeg

207286A6-1053-4074-942E-1670CC0E5FF3.jpeg

I have to agree with you on this one……..Moose is really good. Too bad my OIL moose tag happened 10 years ago

Have only had one A/Y moose steak and have to admit it was great. A half dozen of our Shiras here in ID and WY have proven to be tough and sub standard!!!

You guys must have never eaten dall sheep. Wouldn’t be drooling over the moose if you had
We ground up my sheep this year. Just not my favorite. I didn’t much care for shiras moose but my cooking skills have improved in 20 years…

I miss it. Been a long time since sheep was regular table fair. Didn’t appreciate it enough that’s for sure. But kids don’t

We ground up my sheep this year. Just not my favorite. I didn’t much care for shiras moose but my cooking skills have improved in 20 years…
If sheep meat is anything like sheep meat it wouldn't be my favorite either.

Have only had one A/Y moose steak and have to admit it was great. A half dozen of our Shiras here in ID and WY have proven to be tough and sub standard!!!
I am glad to read this. I know a lot of people love moose. When I got my bull in Idaho it was just OK. I thought the meat was just to lean. It would go from raw to tough in seconds, I never got good at cooking it. That was 2008. I am better at cooking game meat now but I am not sure when I will get another crack at it.

Have been in on about 12+ Shiras moose kills here now in SE Idaho. When people try to give me some, I politely pass. It tastes great but is always tougher than elk and I don't like to crock pot hamburger!!!

Proportionally calorie wise your plate is prolly spot on but boy that plate is ultra tasty yet comes across as light. BTW I'ma 6'3" 330# Dutchman which might help explain.

Only had it from a couple Idaho bighorns, never from any others. It's dark red, and more like mule deer or moose. I ate my tenderloins on the hill while I was caping and quartering mine, and they were pretty good on a stick over a fire!!

Inside the body cavity, tucked back along the spine. Lazy muscles, and really tender. I carry two 10" stainless skewers with my gear, and roast stuff all the time on the hill. Grouse are especially good.

Inside the body cavity, tucked back along the spine. Lazy muscles, and really tender. I carry two 10" stainless skewers with my gear, and roast stuff all the time on the hill. Grouse are especially good.
Exactly what I kept & ate from mine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom